Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Kia Piccanto or Honda Jazz?

(55 Posts)
gail734 Mon 12-Feb-18 19:35:12

Quick, I’m about to lease one of these. Which one will I go for? They both have 1.3L engines. I’m limiting myself because I like an automatic, but I’m not a petrolhead - I just need a car to get to work. Any opinions? I had a Civic before and loved it. Is a Honda more respectable than a Kia?

MelanieSmooter Mon 12-Feb-18 19:39:48

Honda Jazz’s are driven by old people who need to take a new driving test! They’re slow, irritating and have a deceptively large arse (the cars, not the drivers, I can’t see their arses).
Kia’s have an excellent warranty, very good value and look less like they should be scrapped. Also much less irritating driving. grin

Tobuyornot99 Mon 12-Feb-18 19:41:03

Kia Piacntos are great little cars. Absolutely awful boot space though if this is important to you

TheChippendenSpook Mon 12-Feb-18 19:41:07

I had a picanto and absolutely loved the little thing. The only problem I had is it took an age to pick up speed on hills. It was very economical though and I loved it.

TheChippendenSpook Mon 12-Feb-18 19:42:31

I only got rid of it because we didn't need two cars so we swapped them both and got a Kia Sportage instead.

italiancortado Mon 12-Feb-18 19:42:55

The Kia is essentially a Hyundai i10, i would go for that

gail734 Mon 12-Feb-18 19:47:44

Ooh, thanks for your replies. I’m surprised by all the Kia-love, but I’m very easily influenced! I’m excited about having a small, economical car. I’ve been driving an old dinosaur for years and it has finally given up. Any Jazz fans want to put in their tuppence-worth?

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 12-Feb-18 19:48:24

I've driven a jazz and I'm not old!
The jazz is great, loads of room in the back and plenty of boot space.

swashbucklecheer Mon 12-Feb-18 19:52:58

I had a jazz for 8 yrs and loved it. The magic seats in the back are so useful. Never had a break down and only 1 repair needed in all that time. It was serviced annually. I'm changing to a hrv this time only because my family is growing and some blind numbskull wrote off the jazz last month.

SWBCRTMWSC Mon 12-Feb-18 19:59:50

I had my last jazz 10 years and it never let me down. Now on my second, agree with pp magic seats basically mean you have a van. Though I haven’t used that feature since I put an isofix car seat in. Can also fit two bubble bum car sears next to that meaning each of my kids can invite a friend home from School on the same day.

FancyThatFenceEdge Tue 13-Feb-18 04:20:37

Jazz all day long. Its not designed to be sporty, nor is the Picanto.

Ignore the idiots who say its driven by old folks. So what if it is?

That proves Honda's bombproof reliability. FOlks dont want a car breaking down every time they get in it.

Jazz is more practicle/roomy too. If you can, order the new 1.5 petrol Jazz. More poke than the 1.3.

WaitrosePigeon Sat 24-Feb-18 08:42:49

My first car was a Picanto. It was great. Small boot tho.

CottonSock Sat 24-Feb-18 08:46:20

Our Jazz was fine, but not the most comfortable ride. We now have a kia ceed which has had teething problems. Clutch replaced and seatbelt. Paint issues not covered by warranty but rest was

RandomUsernameHere Sat 24-Feb-18 08:54:27

I'd much prefer a Honda to a Kia!

bigbootsj Sat 24-Feb-18 08:59:00

I drive a jazz sport and I absolutely love it! I had a picanto before this, its was horrendous! Affectionately known as the pic*nto. There's no comparison. Jazz every time! P.s I'm not old!

OliviaStabler Sat 24-Feb-18 09:03:22

I'd definitely go for the Jazz. I love Honda's and still miss my Honda Accord!

FancyThatFenceEdge Sat 24-Feb-18 09:15:18

Plus, Jazz will have a far higher resale/asset value than the Kia.

Kia's a good cars, no doubt, but their values plumment like a brick in a lake.

thegamblersmrs Sat 24-Feb-18 09:20:01

I've just bought a Honda jazz. Had a vw polo for years which I loved and was very reliable and cheaper than the jazz but I needed a bigger boot for pram.

We have an accord which we love but the jazz is very different.

Takes ages to demist and defrosting is a nightmare. Tyre warning light goes off twice a week but no change to tyre pressure.
When my tyre was flat to the ground (I didn't realise as it was back tyre so didn't feel anything) the warning light didn't go off.

It's nice to drive and good for fuel, find it comfortable but would I buy again? No. It's only 8 weeks old and I'm on the countdown to get rid.

FancyThatFenceEdge Sat 24-Feb-18 16:47:41

^

Not being funny, but do you even know how to use the ventilation system properly (as in checked and read the handbook)??

As for tyre pressure warnings, in this cold weather, its a potential trigger for all cars that have this system. And if your tyre was completely flat, no warning system is triggered - especially if its flat due to a puncture! Duh!

Is yours a brand new Jazz or used?

crazyforpiggies Sat 24-Feb-18 16:48:45

I loved my kia picanto. Great little car smile

AbbieLexie Sat 24-Feb-18 16:57:22

Love my Jazz - find it quite nippy!

AnneOfCleavage Sat 24-Feb-18 17:13:28

Kia all the way. Love my Picanto. Never had any issues and actually although the boot looks small can fit a surprising amount in.

BonnieF Sat 24-Feb-18 17:16:32

Jazz every time. More spacious & much nicer to drive.

HariboIsMyCrack Sat 24-Feb-18 17:18:58

I bought my DM a Honda Jazz - she wanted it because of its safety record and the magic seats (which are amazing). I have driven it and it's surprisingly nippy!

Also agree with pp about resale value. Just don't get the orange one like DM's

BadCarrot Sat 24-Feb-18 17:26:12

Jazz without doubt. Magic seats, reliable, small turning circle, great round town, not bad on motorways.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: