Talk

Advanced search

When you were growing up , what car did your parents have?

(117 Posts)
Snee2 Mon 05-Feb-18 13:03:30

The first car I remember my dad having was a Micra

ruby1234 Mon 05-Feb-18 13:38:17

My dad had a (shit) brown Skoda. He later traded it in for a turquoise one.

stickygotstuck Mon 05-Feb-18 13:42:19

The coolest car ever - a Renault 4! (dead serious emoticon, for clarity)

RatOnnaStick Mon 05-Feb-18 13:42:32

Vauxhall Viva (also shit brown!), Followed by a big 7-seater Peugeot 504 which broke down on his test drive hmm.

ShellsBells76 Mon 05-Feb-18 13:44:39

A peach ( I kid you not ) Jaguar confused
My dad was a Black Cab driver so we always asked to go in the cab when we went out grin

Autumnchill Mon 05-Feb-18 13:45:30

A Sierra Sapphire

reallyanotherone Mon 05-Feb-18 13:47:05

An austin princess!

Front wheel drive so no “hump” in the middle of the back footwells for the axle. Long journeys i’d get on the floor in my sleeping bag while my brother stretched out on the seats.

ThereIsIron Mon 05-Feb-18 13:49:01

Hillman Hunter, Austin Allegro, Vauxhall Cavalier

Daffydil Mon 05-Feb-18 13:55:12

A metro.

SandunesAndRainclouds Mon 05-Feb-18 13:56:12

Ford Cortina. We always had to help bump start it out of the close...

NotSoSprightly Mon 05-Feb-18 13:56:40

Porsche 911, Audi A3/A4/RS4, VW Polo, Land Rover Defender, Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru Impreza, Alfa Romeo, Clio RS (all one at a time and each sold after a few years).

The sporty numbers were my dad's, my mum always had the estate or sensible version!

NetballHoop Mon 05-Feb-18 14:02:38

Ford Cortina Estate. It rattled so much that you couldn't speak to the person next to you.

happymummy12345 Mon 05-Feb-18 14:03:23

None. Neither my mum or dad drive.

Pompom42 Mon 05-Feb-18 14:06:56

My dad always bought large estate cars even though there were only 2 adults and 2 children. He had a ‘thing’ about estate cars. Volvo Estate, Austin Montego Estate, Peugeot 505 Estate. In every kind of Biege or Brown shade.
Then suddenly when we got older 15 and 14 he bought a small Ford Fiesta in green. Haha

NoodlesLivesHere Mon 05-Feb-18 14:09:04

A red Austin Princess with cream interior and no seatbelts in the back.

CakeIsMyFavouriteAndBest Mon 05-Feb-18 14:09:49

@ThereisIron are you related to me?! We had a Hillman Hunter, an Austin Allegro, 2 Renault 4's, Vauxhall Viva and the best thing about all these awful cars was they were all old and destined for the scrap heap when we had them. One of the Renaults kept catching fire, the Vauxhall Viva was the colour of poo and the Austin Allegro was rescued from an old ladies garage so had barely any miles on the clock but was absolutely ancient and very embarrassing to be driven around in.
My late dad finally treated himself to a new car when he moved into retirement accommodation and got himself a flash BMW, I just wish he had been able to drive a decent car for longer.

wetpebbles Mon 05-Feb-18 14:10:16

An orange Volkswagen Beetle with jeans written on the side. We could hear it coming a mile off!

mommybear1 Mon 05-Feb-18 14:10:50

VW Beetle my god those plastic back seats!! Vivid memories of being stuck and peeled off the seats in summer confused

EggysMom Mon 05-Feb-18 14:12:47

First one I remember was a Marina!

Then (hoping I got the order correct) Triumph Dolomite Sprint (from which a scrote stole the distributor cap & leads whilst parked outside a holiday home in Bournemouth); Mini van; MG Metro (bought abroad and imported); Austin Princess; MG Maestro (built from a shell). I got to drive the Maestro!

BeyondThePage Mon 05-Feb-18 14:15:04

First was a Riley - (oh my God I'm old....) one where the door opens backwards and you practically trek to the back seat,

then a Hillman Hunter.

MayFayner Mon 05-Feb-18 14:16:47

sticky my mum had a Renault 4 too smile

Were you allowed stand up in the boot? We constantly campaigned for this and my mother would give in and let us- ahh the '80s.

I vividly remember my thighs getting properly stuck to the plastic back seats in summer too. The pain of unpeeling!

hugoagogo Mon 05-Feb-18 14:19:11

Soft top Marina; as the smallest I sat in the middle at the back so as to be first to fly through the windscreen in the event of an accident.grin

n0ne Mon 05-Feb-18 14:19:41

Audi. My mum only ever drives Audis with one brief foray into Rover territory. My dad was an alcoholic who seemed to be perpetually on a driving ban so he didn't have a car.

CMOTDibbler Mon 05-Feb-18 14:19:56

My mum had a custard yellow Mini Clubman with evil black vinyl seats which had wood underneath, so if the back seats were folded up you got splinters. She then got a red Metro under the British Leyland workers discount scheme, followed by a Fiesta when that died.
Dad had a series of blue Marina vans which had been used in the BL factory so had done lots of miles, but not seen much of the outside world. When they did, they rotted almost immediatly, so I have fond memories of the holes in the footwell! He then had a red Bedford Rascal van, and eventually a white high top Transit plastered with 'I heart dairy goats' and other similar stickers which my mother loathed. Which was partly why he had them... (Btw, he did have goats, not a random fetish proclamation)

tellitlikeitispls Mon 05-Feb-18 14:21:05

My dad had a green lada. And he had a Datsun for a while.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: