Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Volvo XC60 or BMW X3? Any experience?

(9 Posts)
BelleEtoile Wed 17-Jan-18 21:59:08

I am looking for a new car.
I've narrowed it down to a Volvo XC60 or BMW X3.
As far as I can see the Volvo has a better specification but the BMW will probably hold its value better.

I'll be using it on country roads with a baby (and hopefully another in the near future) and dog.
I don't have experience with either brand. I've mostly driven Audis or Landrover Discoverys.

Do you have a XC60 or X3 and would you recommend it?

FancyThatFenceEdge Thu 18-Jan-18 04:23:03

Both are frankly shit and will have reliability issues as they age. In fact, both have been known to have issues even when new!

WHats wrong with a Kia Sorento or Sportage? Or Hyundai Santa Fe or Tuscon? Toyota RAV4? Mazda CX5? Honda CRV? Subaru Forester - all infinitely reliable and better than those two cars youve listed....

bassackwards Thu 18-Jan-18 04:48:42

I live in a rural area (dirt / gravel roads) and drive an X3 M Sport with baby in the back. It's very powerful and sturdy, which I love. The only issue I have is that the steering feels heavy and it takes some effort to turn although I think that might be down to the age of the vehicle (10 years old now). We've actually been looking at the 2018 model with a view to updating. Went for a test drive recently and it's very smooth smile

NoKnownFather Thu 18-Jan-18 04:57:42

Currently own a 2009 BMW X3 2.0D M-Sport owned it for 4 yrs greatest car I've ever owned and would buy the same again in a heartbeat. Japanese cars are OK but never up to Euro standards. Fuel economy is outstanding.

bassackwards.....try a little increase in front tyre pressure to lighten steering, mine is not heavy at all. Haven't driven 2018 model but can imagine it would be wonderful. Good luck ;-)

BelleEtoile Thu 18-Jan-18 11:34:37

FancyThatFenceEdge , Ive considered all vehicles available to me and have narrowed it down to the Volvo and BMW

bassackwards, sounds like we live in a similar location. I hope to have mine for about 10 years too.

NoKnownFather, Thanks, thats quite a recommendation smile

Anyone have the Volvo XC60?

Julia000 Thu 22-Mar-18 07:59:28

My BMW X3 is just over 6 years old and the interior is falling apart! Rear view mirror fell off, back seat door handle broke and the lever to move the drivers seat broke - all within the last 6 month. As it’s out of warranty you have to pay for all the repairs. I’ve driven some old bangers in the past and never had a car falling apart like this! On the up side I’ve never had any problems with reliability but then I don’t expect to for a 6 year car that’s only done 50k miles.

No experience from volvos but this is the last bmw I will buy.

eurochick Thu 22-Mar-18 08:43:00

My last car was an xc60. I liked it as a motorway cruiser. I thought it was pretty sluggish around town. But it was fine. Mine was a few years old and I didn't have any major problems with it. The mileage was quite low though. We've moved on to a Mercedes M class. It's nippier but in other ways I preferred the Volvo.

Oh I've just remembered one thing I absolutely hated about the Volvo - the inbuilt satnav was absolutely abysmal. Not at all intuitive to use. Wildly incorrect estimates of times. Weird routing. Mine was a 2010 plate so maybe the tech has improved by now. Maybe not...

IheartNiles Fri 23-Mar-18 12:57:15

We’ve just ordered an XC60 on rental. On test drives it was great, not a sporty car but we weren’t expecting it to be. The petrol version feels nippy and quieter if you do mostly short journeys. I hear it’s the safest car. The interior is plush and roomy, we ordered the one with a sunroof which opens it up more. The alternative was an Audi but the interior felt too boxed in.

Sidge Fri 23-Mar-18 13:02:20

I have an XC60 and I really like it.

Quiet, comfortable, cruises well and has a bit of poke to pull away given it's a heavy car. I don't find mine sluggish at all and certainly not "frankly shit". I've had it 2.5 years and have had absolutely no issues with it at all (unlike DPs BMW which spent more time in the garage than on the road...)

It's roomy and comfortable and has all the gadgets and gizmos I need; the satnav is OK but can be a bit clunky.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: