Talk

Advanced search

Honking at me for no reason??

(31 Posts)
Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:25:41

Would someone be able to help?

Disclaimer: I may be over reacting, however I am pretty sure this person was angry at me - but why?

I have only been driving twice now in rush hour traffic and I must admit, I am not the most confident of drivers but I am always trying to be safe for others and myself! But I have got a new job and already done the route when it was quite so I know the lanes and route in advance. It is the one way system in Kingston if anyone is familiar! I also worked in Kingston for 8 years previous and aware of the layout of the one way system per taking the bus home from here.

Today I was at the lights, waiting to approach a one way system, three lanes at this point, all heading to turn right around a corner.
The lights went green and I’m driving down, there is a BEEP, not sure why, as far as I was aware I was fine, driving in the middle lane. Left lane was held up of traffic - nobody indicating to go into my lane. Right lane was fine, clear as anything.

Now, I am in a que and a car in front wants to go in the left lane, I wait behind for that person to move in which they do so quickly. I can’t go in the right lane as there is traffic ahead and I need to be in the middle - which would then mean I cause problems when I have to move back in to the middle.

Then I approach some lights again, wait patiently and this time there is another beep as I move off .. ????. Now I am 90% sure this is the driver behind me. Not looking at her as I have to move now.
As I am driving into the next section there is traffic in front so I have to stop, I get beeped at again... why? I can’t overtake anyone it’s a red light ahead hence the traffic and there is cars on the right and the left lane has now become left turnings only.

As I start moving, I move into the far left lane of the next junction Of the one way system. She is still in the middle. As I start to approach her, she’s winding down her window.. I didn’t have time to stop and look to see if she was going to shout at me as my lane was clear to move on.

I’m just not sure if it was me she was beeping at, as surely she would have been flashing me.. or if it was actually someone else. But I was looking around me all the time and nobody was trying to overtake me.

It probably wasn’t even at me!! I’m not sure but I would rather know what exactly I was doing wrong to not do it again .. maybe I should have stopped alongside her and asked what was the matter? 🤔 - and cause a back log of traffic and increase danger 🙄!

Many thanks for your advice also!

CheapSausagesAndSpam Sat 13-Jan-18 09:36:05

Could it have been someone you know?

BewareOfDragons Sat 13-Jan-18 09:49:16

Perhaps check your brake lights when you get home to make sure they're working?

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:05:24

I don’t believe so she was behind me for quite a while actually before we got to the one way system. it wasn’t that kind of beeping if you get what I mean, it was more of an “annoyed” type.

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:07:05

That’s an idea! I’m pretty sure they are fine - I have only had the car not even a year so shouldn’t be any problems - but maybe my foot wasn’t on the break hard enough to show lights, then again she did see the traffic ahead and that we were at red lights, not only that - there was a coach in front of me which she would have seen. But I will indeed check, thank you!

Orchardgreen Sat 13-Jan-18 10:26:41

I know exactly that junction. The bust station on the left? Once you get round it you need to be in the correct lane and the three lanes end up going in three different directions. Drivers do start panicking because they think they're going to end up in the wrong lane and start jostling for position. The only advice I can give is, don't let yourself get flustered and try to ignore any unnecessary hooting. It's against the Highway Code anyway for inappropriate use of the horn.
Whatever you do, don't start avoiding the one way system or you will just end up destroying your confidence.

Orchardgreen Sat 13-Jan-18 10:27:08

Oops! Bus station!

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:32:06

Hi Orchardgreen! YES! that’s the one, exactly that’s what I mean, I was in the middle lane the whole time, did not move over and did not spill into other lanes. That is what I don’t unferstand - what was the need? I was in the middle lane to move over to the Fairfield lane past the last set of lights to then go around to the roundabout further on, but I wasn’t honked at then? I was even following the cars in front and they did the same thing as me... so what in the name of driving was I doing wrong? confused thank you for your comment!

KungFuEric Sat 13-Jan-18 10:32:30

She sounds a bit of a knob tooting needlessly. You say she did it a couple of times when the lights changed to set off, maybe she felt you were slow to move away? I know sometimes when Ive been at lights and need to change lanes promptly before another set of lights not too far up the road you've basically got to hope to get a good start off from the other lanes to merge into, which can be scuppered if you are behind someone who only releases the handbreak at the sight of green, rather than being more alert.

That's just speculation on my part though, and one of those things she would have to deal with driving in traffic.

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:35:33

As for the confidence, I usually drove to my previous job at 6 am and come home at 2pm - roads were great at that time. And I never drove in rush hour, but as I mentioned, I did know the layout from working in that area for years and always got the bus there. But yes ... in all honesty.. I got myself home and just stared out the front window like ... should I just forget it? But then again, I was not doing anything dangerous in my opinion, I stuck to my lane the whole way through and kept my speed (even though there was traffic so there was no more than 5mph being done here). This is why I am so confused and wondered if anyone was familiar with the route could point out something I wasn’t aware of haha!

Orchardgreen Sat 13-Jan-18 10:37:07

You were in the correct lane, I do exactly the same, middle lane, stay in it, then go right again to the inside lane at Fairfield. I suspect the other driver was in the wrong lane and panicking. Don't wind your window down, avoid confrontation. Difficult I know!

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:38:32

Yeah - in all fairness i think it was all a bit pointless. She was behind me the whole time and from what I saw when moving over to exit the one I way system, she was in the right lane to go around the other way. So we were both in the right direction. My partner told me to not worry about it and I do feel like I am panicking over nothing - but you can’t help it when the person has honked at you more than once!

KungFuEric Sat 13-Jan-18 10:41:07

I can sympathise with that op, it's a particular kind of anxiety that bullying and aggressive road users can induce on you when driving.

Some people like to feel all big and mighty in their big metal cages, while others realise they can be deathly machines if not handled correctly.

I hope talking about it has calmed you though and you can appreciate she was just behaving poorly.

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:41:17

Teehee, thank you! I am relieved. I suppose I’ll have to wait till Monday to see what happens again! Thursday was fine though.. strange.

gamerchick Sat 13-Jan-18 10:42:02

Have you checked all your lights are working properly?

Sometimes people just like to beep. I ended up taking my P plate off the back of the car because I was being blatantly picked on and it all stopped hmm

underneaththeash Sat 13-Jan-18 10:46:01

I had someone like that in the car park yesterday, silly woman was beeping at me to go when I couldn't get past the car in front. Surely its bloody obvious that if I could have driven past I would have done....anyway we did end up having a huge argument.

I really dislike being beeped at.

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:49:44

Exactly, that’s what I felt she was doing. But when you’re in traffic and can’t move because of what in front of you in your lane - why have a go at me? Haha!!!
I am a good driver and I am always courteous but not over cautious, to cause any accidents but I am also trying to give myself more experince, jeeze I even got myself refresher lessons when I started driving to work and even the instructor said I don’t know why you’re worrying!!

Falconhoof1 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:49:53

Some people are just bloody impatient and rude. There's times I could have beeped at people but don't as I'm not an aggressive twat.

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:51:38

Yep, that happened to me... doing 30 on a 30 road and being tail gated all the time. You could hear the cars revving for no reason. I took them off after two weeks l couldn’t take it anymore!

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 13-Jan-18 10:52:27

Some people are just dick heads. I get it all the time. Was honked at just am hour ago. For some reason witg two lanes to choose from and going at speed limit still isn't good enough for people.

Falconhoof1 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:53:47

Sightly off topic but the is a radio ad with honking horns in that scares the crap out of me when driving. Should be banned!

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:54:14

That happened to me once, I went to go through the barrier and the machine wasn’t printing tickets!!! And nobody was on the other end of the alarm button.

So I had to reverse back to go in the next entrance which meant the car behind had to reverse back... once we got in he drove past me when I parked up and gave me the dirtiest look anyone good give.. could he not see me pressing the button 5 or so times? Jeeeeeze!

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:56:35

Exactly.. most of the time if someone cuts me up and I stop without causing danger .. the person in the wrong flashes their hazards to say sorry/thank you and I’m okay .. if there was cause for danger then yes I would use the horn.
But IMO I try to not use it unless necessary.

Toottoot1990 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:57:34

Haha! I’ve never liked the sound of car horns. Bus horns I’m okay with... even when they press it for longer it’s not as bad as someone using their car one.

Svalberg Sat 13-Jan-18 11:00:17

Like someone else has said, you need to be in the correct lane as far as you can all the way round - and go in the middle lane until you've passed all the buses on the left (if you need to go left) then zip in ahead of the lead bus (no hanging around!). The number of times I've been forced up towards Surbiton when I wanted to go towards New Malden...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now