Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Extortionate charges when handing car back

(5 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Stargirl17 Wed 08-Nov-17 01:55:55

Basically I've had my car from new on pcp and it has come to the end of it's three year term, rather than exchange for a new one I decided to hand it back and we're going down to one car. So Seat sent someone from the British Car Auctions to inspect the car before they collect it next week, and as far as I can see the car is in good repair so I wasn't expecting anything major to come up on the inspection. Cue being handed a £300 bill! Supposedly the car is FULL of dents. I really regret not making the inspector point out every one, because when I went to my car with the list to look at all these dents in the places he found them I could only find one the size of my fingertip which could only be seen on very close inspection and hadn't broken the paintwork - which seems like it should come under fair wear and tear according to their booklet. There's also some minor scratches on the bumper which again need very close inspection, but again minor scratches on bumpers come under fair wear and tear. I really don't think it warrants a £300 bill, and the rest I can't even bloody find. It's so frustrating. Cars never been in an accident, been well looked after, and the inspectors supposedly follow the fair wear and tear guide and flag up anything 'unreasonable'. In my book I should be able to actually see anything unreasonable. I don't know what to do - I rang Seat and they said I have to wait until the report comes back, but I will have handed the car back by then, and once they have the car I'm certain they'll just make me pay the bill. Does anyone have any experience of this happening or any advice on what I could do?

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 08-Nov-17 10:38:04

We're just sending this over to our cars topic at the OP's request.

flowers

somewhereovertherain Tue 14-Nov-17 07:33:16

300 quite cheap. They do go for minute detail. You can usually down load a booklet with the requirements. They usually go for samll scuffs and dents, damage to alloys etc.

It has to be immaculate to not get any chargers. Have to say Last time I handed one back March they went through the whole list with me.

NoSquirrels Tue 14-Nov-17 07:36:22

Isn't this the well publicised downside of PCP?

£300 sounds not too bad - thought you were going to say £3K.

Take lots of your own pictures, particularly of any kind places you think are in dispute. But if you can see dents or scuffs, I think you'll get charged I'm afraid.

Stargirl17 Wed 22-Nov-17 19:26:33

Thanks for the advice, I contested it and they reviewed it and said most of it counts as fair wear and tear, so reduced the bill from £300 to £40, quite a big difference!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: