Buying a car - no service history

(14 Posts)
wiltingfast Sun 08-Oct-17 21:17:47

Contemplating buying a 2014 Zafira Tourer 20,000.

But

No service history.

Price reflects that.

Checked and it passed an MOT in may and mileage in line with current mileage.

HPI ok

Am I daft? Should we walk away?

Are there other checks I should do? Dealer says it is a trade car and he does not seem to have any other info.

wiltingfast Sun 08-Oct-17 21:19:20

That should be 20,000 miles blush

Alwaysrushingaround Sun 08-Oct-17 21:41:30

I'd be inclined to think that if something is too good to be true then it usually is..

RoxanneMonke Sun 08-Oct-17 21:45:09

I would. 20k miles is low so there wouldn’t be loads of service history anyway. What about an AA check for peace of mind?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 08-Oct-17 21:45:28

I've never had any service history worth speaking of with any car, nor sold any of mine with much. Few people can afford to take new cars back to the dealership for ongoing maintenance or servicing, so no bugger bothers to get anything stamped or retain copies of anything.

mineofuselessinformation Sun 08-Oct-17 21:45:57

What warranty is the dealer offering? That would make a difference to me.

MyLittleDragon Sun 08-Oct-17 21:53:03

Vivienne- you can keep the receipts of your services though even if the garage wont stamp the service book?

sparechange Sun 08-Oct-17 21:55:49

No service history because they’ve lost the book or because it hasn’t been serviced?

I lost the book for my old car but knew where it had been serviced so paid £5 for a new blank Service book and posted it to the garages who had done the services, who stamped and dated it based on their records, and posted it back to me.

If the seller knows which garage serviced it, you can try phoning them to check when it was serviced, and see if they can help with a replacement book if you go ahead with the purchase

Bumdishcloths Sun 08-Oct-17 21:57:35

Zafiras were catching fire at one point, I'd avoid it like the plague personally, but maybe check it out on the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/check-if-a-vehicle-has-been-recalled

TheFairyCaravan Sun 08-Oct-17 22:01:18

Our cars don't always have a full service history because unless something major needs doing, like the cam belt changing, DH does it himself. He can do most things on cars so resents paying someone else to do it.

wiltingfast Mon 09-Oct-17 15:28:29

The fire issue is an earlier model (model B).

Car is a "trade car" dealer has no clue about it, or is not saying

We are in Ireland so warranty useless to us.

Service histories not common in Ireland, we're not know tbh, for minding our cars all that well.

It's actually only missed one service by 9m I'm told.

Food for thought anyway, thanks everyone.

sharklovers Tue 10-Oct-17 18:21:47

You’d be crazy to buy a car with no service history. Unless it’s a £500 banger then walk away.

SlothMama Tue 10-Oct-17 18:27:51

I'd ask if you can have the AA or RAC do a full inspection on it, or ask if an independent garage can carry it out.

wiltingfast Tue 10-Oct-17 22:02:37

Oh yeah, an inspection is a must! Totally agree.

Found one with an sh now anyway. Tks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now