Automatic?

(9 Posts)
Adviceneeded123 Sat 16-Sep-17 20:58:39

So i have started driving again after some time (6 years) we couldnt afford another car. Well we can now so i got myself a cheap manual. Just a run around and i hate it. I am struggling with the clutch! Never had a problem before. Used to be quite a good driver! But its just gone. I am anxious before going out so dont do it very often. I threw up today whilst waiting to go out.

Would i be better of getting an automatic so i can forget the clutch and just get my kids to the places they need to be? Once i get into the drive i am fine. But its the first 10 minutes. I know it will get easier over time. But would an auto just be easier over all!?

wheresmyphone Sat 16-Sep-17 21:02:01

Automatics are so much easier to drive. Had mine 2 years. I am a much better driver now.

Adviceneeded123 Sat 16-Sep-17 21:06:09

Ok thank you. Dh said i am free to change it but didnt want to give up so easily bit i was physically sick and i dont want the kids to be nervous. They are oblivious at the moment. I dont want to cause an accident too! I think i will put ny car up for sale. Can you recommend a good car for a family of 5? (3 car seats) not too big. I can have 1 in the front

TamzinGrey Mon 18-Sep-17 22:03:36

Automatics are fabulous and make driving much less stressful. I would never go back to a manual.

TableMirror Mon 18-Sep-17 22:09:38

I don't really find much difference between the two, I chop and change depending on which car I'm driving so maybe I'm just used to it. Maybe a bit of practice somewhere quiet?

samanthaterry1983 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:34:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 11-Oct-17 14:35:35

I love my auto, it makes driving so much less stressful.

CountessofGrantham Wed 11-Oct-17 14:36:25

I’m a long time driver and always had manuals. Now we have two automatics and I wouldn’t go back to a manual. Not only are they easier but I can’t see the point of a manual and all that chopping and changing and changing up and down for no reason. Go for the auto!

safariboot Sun 15-Oct-17 00:20:10

Bit old thread I know, but my first drive in my first car I was terrible. Managed to repeatedly stall it so often the starter motor refused to work shock. (Only for about half a minute, but was still rather alarming).

I got used to it. Every car is a bit different, but as long as your doesn't have a totally terrible clutch you should be fine. And remember if you are stalling, you probably need more gas when moving off. I admit I still stall from time to time in slow traffic or when reversing.

I bet @Adviceneeded123 you're driving your manual like you've had it for years by now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now