Talk

Advanced search

Automatic?

(10 Posts)
Adviceneeded123 Sat 16-Sep-17 20:58:39

So i have started driving again after some time (6 years) we couldnt afford another car. Well we can now so i got myself a cheap manual. Just a run around and i hate it. I am struggling with the clutch! Never had a problem before. Used to be quite a good driver! But its just gone. I am anxious before going out so dont do it very often. I threw up today whilst waiting to go out.

Would i be better of getting an automatic so i can forget the clutch and just get my kids to the places they need to be? Once i get into the drive i am fine. But its the first 10 minutes. I know it will get easier over time. But would an auto just be easier over all!?

wheresmyphone Sat 16-Sep-17 21:02:01

Automatics are so much easier to drive. Had mine 2 years. I am a much better driver now.

Adviceneeded123 Sat 16-Sep-17 21:06:09

Ok thank you. Dh said i am free to change it but didnt want to give up so easily bit i was physically sick and i dont want the kids to be nervous. They are oblivious at the moment. I dont want to cause an accident too! I think i will put ny car up for sale. Can you recommend a good car for a family of 5? (3 car seats) not too big. I can have 1 in the front

TamzinGrey Mon 18-Sep-17 22:03:36

Automatics are fabulous and make driving much less stressful. I would never go back to a manual.

TableMirror Mon 18-Sep-17 22:09:38

I don't really find much difference between the two, I chop and change depending on which car I'm driving so maybe I'm just used to it. Maybe a bit of practice somewhere quiet?

samanthaterry1983 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:34:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 11-Oct-17 14:35:35

I love my auto, it makes driving so much less stressful.

CountessofGrantham Wed 11-Oct-17 14:36:25

I’m a long time driver and always had manuals. Now we have two automatics and I wouldn’t go back to a manual. Not only are they easier but I can’t see the point of a manual and all that chopping and changing and changing up and down for no reason. Go for the auto!

safariboot Sun 15-Oct-17 00:20:10

Bit old thread I know, but my first drive in my first car I was terrible. Managed to repeatedly stall it so often the starter motor refused to work shock. (Only for about half a minute, but was still rather alarming).

I got used to it. Every car is a bit different, but as long as your doesn't have a totally terrible clutch you should be fine. And remember if you are stalling, you probably need more gas when moving off. I admit I still stall from time to time in slow traffic or when reversing.

I bet @Adviceneeded123 you're driving your manual like you've had it for years by now?

OfficerGrant Tue 26-Dec-17 15:18:33

Just tuck your left foot under the seat so you don't use it by mistake and an auto us a doddle to drive

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: