Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

4x4 type car that fits 4 car seats - please help!

(30 Posts)
Safifi Sat 12-Aug-17 10:18:01

I have done so much research it's maddening.
I have a 7 year old in high backed booster, 3 year old in forward facing, 1 year old in rear facing and one one the way. Therefore I am in need of a roomy vehicle with enough boot space for double buggy. We currently have a Volvo XC90 but there is not safe room for three carseats in middle row and not much leg room in back row. We can't have a normal people carrier as our farm lane would ground them out as they are too low to the ground. I have found many cars in other countries that could be suitable but I can find nothing in Britain.
Any ideas gratefully appreciated!

intuition Sat 12-Aug-17 10:18:56

Disco?

womaninatightspot Sat 12-Aug-17 10:58:07

We have an xc90 and four kids and it's fine. Our eldest two sit in the back row age 6 and 4 in hbb. When DS2 was three he used to climb in via boot and sit down. I would fasten him in by hopping into the middle row, middle seat was kept folded down for this. Now he can fasten his own seatbelt ( I check obviously) so it's easier. Double buggy in the boot was trickier. Out and about nipper 360 double. Also good for farmtracks.

Safifi Sun 13-Aug-17 06:33:28

Thank you both for your replies. Sadly the disco has a smaller boot.
womaninatightspot you have reassured my worries for now so I'll just just see how it goes. I am just apprehensive having my 3 year in the very back. Great idea having middle seat down though.

cliffdiver Sun 13-Aug-17 06:55:19

A Multimac added to your current car could work?

ProseccoPoppy Sun 13-Aug-17 07:04:49

My neighbours have a defender and swear by it. They have 5 under 10 and everything seems to fit in ok. A colleague with 4 under 10 has a fairly chunky Volvo (not sure which) with a multimac fitted.

eurochick Sun 13-Aug-17 07:47:27

I'm surprised to read that about the xc90. That's what my friend with 4 children has.

womaninatightspot Sun 13-Aug-17 14:33:04

Thinking about it DS2 was really just 2.7 when he graduated to the far backseat (we had twins). Always really liked it; far preferred it to our second car where he was squeezed in with the twins on one row. That said are you sure you can't fit three car seats in the middle row? If we're giving someone a lift then the girls seats are put together to save anyone the indignity of squeezing by. I'm sure I could get another seat in if I tried.

Orangebird69 Sun 13-Aug-17 14:43:08

Volvo XC90 or Kia Sorrento?

greystarling Sun 13-Aug-17 14:52:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Safifi Sun 13-Aug-17 18:55:22

Thank you all for being so kind with your advice.
Sadly a multimac would not suit our current car seat and two of my children would be rear facing for a few years to come.
I am really anxious when it comes to fitting carseats properly so for peace of mind I would rather each car seat had a full seat to be attached to.
I shall look into all the other suggestions thank you and also trial my 3 year old and 7 old in my rear most seats with me in the middle row to see how things fair.
I know there are worse things going on in the world but it does worry me in the middle of the night!

Flowersandfootballs Sun 13-Aug-17 18:56:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bamaluz Sun 13-Aug-17 19:50:40

I would be looking at changing one of your existing seats for a narrower version if other people have managed to get three seats in.

Safifi Mon 14-Aug-17 07:13:36

Yes , thank you, good suggestion. I have already been to Halfords and there are no combinations that would safely and properly fit three seats as the middle seat is not a full seat. Three can be squeezed in but they do not sit flat and securely!

samanthaterry1983 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:45:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

litt1elantern Wed 11-Oct-17 17:02:19

Hi

I might be late (and irrelevant) with this advice, but have you tried contacting you current car's retailer?

Volvo have an online car seat configurator - And, as a car manufacturer, they may have conducted safety testing with the child seats actually in the vehicles, so the impact would be tested specifically to the car.

- www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/finance-sales/accessories/child-seats/child-seat-configurator

(BTW, I feel like I should say that I don't work for Volvo, but I do work in the automotive industry smile )

Safifi Thu 12-Oct-17 06:04:39

Thank you so much! I didn't even consider that!

Safifi Thu 12-Oct-17 06:24:46

Thank you! Sorry I didn't know you had sent this message. I shall look in to it thanks.

elastamum Thu 12-Oct-17 06:46:19

My brother has 4 young DC and drives a VW caravelle. We also live up a track and it is fine off the main road.

Safifi Fri 13-Oct-17 18:33:56

I love the caravelle, but we have a pot holed lane and I'd be too scared that with regular 6x daily usage we would ground out. I shall maybe try for a test drive!

Salden Tue 12-Dec-17 23:28:01

Hi, just out of interest....did you find one? I know exactly what you mean. When you look into it properly you realise its only the two rear window seats that are compatible with most child seats and occasionally the front passenger seat. I havent seen any 7 seaters where the back two are compatible. Would really like to find something.

Thanks

Salden Tue 12-Dec-17 23:42:30

Audi Q7 is listed at holding 6 child seats on the cybex website. You can check each individual seat on there. Its only the 2015+models and would be very very expensive xx

Salden Tue 12-Dec-17 23:44:02

5 sorry 🙈

Todayissunny Tue 12-Dec-17 23:45:15

We have VW T6 4x4. I think it's the same thing as the caravelle.

lucy101101 Tue 12-Dec-17 23:45:54

I know you said no to the Disco but couldn't you just use one of the rear seats (with the booster) which would still give you room for the buggy? We have one and hands down it is my favourite car ever!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: