Talk

Advanced search

First time driver with kid

(6 Posts)
Cazz81 Tue 08-Aug-17 18:23:28

Hi I'm looking for my first car at 35yrs of age. I have a toddler. So looking for smallish easy to use car. Any recommendations? I have been looking at vw up but some mama friends say I need a bigger more secure car incase of accident. Any thought? Thanks

BackforGood Wed 09-Aug-17 00:27:59

Go for 4 doors.
If it is your first car, then look at the insurance groups.
Then think about what driving you will be doing ..... rural ? city ? short hops of a couple of miles or less ?.... long motorway journeys?
Then think about boot space - small cars often mean a pram / pushchair either doesn't fit in the boot, or if it does, that you can't get anything else in with it (shopping etc).

Cazz81 Wed 09-Aug-17 18:51:21

Hi yes looking for 4 doors for London short hops rides.

CruelAndUnusualParenting Tue 29-Aug-17 16:40:59

If you haven't decided already, for short hops in the city, a Honda Jazz might be just the thing. Honda are generally reliable, but check the specific model. Ford Fiestas may also be a good option?

For that sort of driving, avoid diesels.

PianoThirty Mon 04-Sep-17 17:21:29

The VW Up's boot will struggle to hold a large buggy. It's fine if you only have a small buggy though.

It's also quite a low car, and you'll find yourself bending down a bit to buckle up your toddler's child seat. A taller car like the Honda Jazz will be easier in this respect.

I wouldn't be particularly worried about crash safety. At London traffic speeds, the traffic is rarely fast enough to cause any serious damage on a modern car.

samanthaterry1983 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:41:04

try taking a look on carwow and seeing what options you can select to fit your requirements smile I found it to be really informative and gave me plenty of options to think about quotes.carwow.co.uk/r/3292395

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: