Talk

Advanced search

Don't want an MPV - three cars seats in rear

(27 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Sat 05-Aug-17 19:50:04

So I'm pregnant with no. 3 and currently drive a FIAT 500L which is an MPV of sorts but not a massive hulking ugly thing. I'm really not keen on getting one of the options that seem to be available to me that have the 3 full seats and wonder what other options there might be.

The sort of cars I'd be happy with are the Kia Sportage or the Ford Kuga but neither of them are suitable from what I can see. My other option is to keep my car and just have my eldest in the passenger seat next to me. Not massively ideal if I want to take my Mother out with us for example but DPs new car will be the Volvo XC90 so one of the cars will at least take 3 seats in the rear.

Children's ages will be 5, 2 and newborn if that makes any difference.

Thank you 💐

wiltingfast Mon 07-Aug-17 21:10:44

The Kia carens might suit you?

PrincessLeia80 Mon 07-Aug-17 21:21:46

You'll struggle with 3 car seats in a 5 seater a Ford S-Max might work not exactly an MPV but 7 seats

chantilly70 Mon 07-Aug-17 22:44:40

The current Touran would be ideal but if you don't want an MPV have a look at the Golf SV which is like a shortened version of new Touran but still has the nice high driving position.
If you are going to be the one driving the kids about why is your dp getting the bigger car?!

SleepFreeZone Thu 10-Aug-17 15:53:33

Oooh I shall check those out.

Ha ha chantilly my DP is an engineer, loves cars and always drives big ones. He wants the new Volvo and that's that basically.

Golondrina Sat 23-Sep-17 14:38:43

You can't put a 5 year old in the front passenger seat, surely? Or have I misunderstood?

somewhereovertherain Sat 23-Sep-17 14:40:47

How about one of these. multimac.co.uk/home

somewhereovertherain Sat 23-Sep-17 14:41:34

Cheaper than a new car

sharklovers Sat 23-Sep-17 19:28:45

You can't put a 5 year old in the front passenger seat

Of course you can, in the appropriate car seat.

sharklovers Sat 23-Sep-17 19:32:46

Other option is two child seats and your eldest just uses the normal adult belt although not ideal.

BubbleFrog Sat 23-Sep-17 19:40:48

Citroen C4 picasso, not grand.

4yoniD Sat 23-Sep-17 19:41:17

I was going to say multimac but got beaten to it.

WillowWeeping Sat 23-Sep-17 19:45:04

You are considering having your five year old son in the front seat whilst your husband drives an XC90 because he's an "engineer and likes cars"

If this is true your husband it an utter UTTER twat

QuestionableMouse Sat 23-Sep-17 19:48:26

I think the Skoda Superb will fit three seats across.

StinkPickle Sat 23-Sep-17 19:49:33

VW touran we have for the same ages as you

tiredmumsclub Sat 23-Sep-17 19:50:24

Renault scenic has 3 individual seats with isofix

Bluebelltulip Sat 23-Sep-17 19:56:05

We tried the skoda superb a couple of weeks ago and found the 14 plate style fitted three across better than the 16 plate. Ended up getting a grand c4 Picasso for the flexibility of seven seats but they are similar foot prints and I actually preferred the driving position of the Picasso.

MargeryB Sat 23-Sep-17 20:01:16

We found that the Touran and Verso were the only smaller cars that would take 3 Group 0/1/high back booster seats in a row. Other than that it was an espace/ s max or one of those bigger cars.

I would advise taking the car seats to a garage and putting them all in before buying. The curve of the seats, location of the isofixes and the position of the seatbelts can make a big difference.

FWIW there is no way I would put a 5 year old in the front of a car on a regular basis unless my financial circumstances meant there was no other option. I would judge a man that left his wife with a car that was too small to accommodate their kids in the safest way whilst he drove around with something more suitable.

sharklovers Sat 23-Sep-17 20:25:56

Wow! Some of you are on another planet! Of course there’s no issue with a 5 year old in the front seat of a car as long as there’s an appropriate child seat in use! How the hell do you think people manage who only have 2 seaters?

WillowWeeping Sat 23-Sep-17 20:55:31

Shark numerous safety studies state a child is safest in the back seat and front air bags can be data for children - it's not up for debate.

Regardless this is irrelevant because the OP is not a parent who has to manage with a 2 seater...she has a DH swanning about in an XC90

WillowWeeping Sat 23-Sep-17 20:56:14

Fatal as opposed to data

LonginesPrime Sat 23-Sep-17 21:13:17

I had Vauxhall Zafiras when my three were in car seats and they're not that hulking or ugly, IMO. It's good to have the flexibility of extra seats and it just looks like an estate from the outside, really.

They're not the most fun cars to drive, but with three children to ferry around, a flexible 7 seater is the easiest way.

I think the Touran looks good too, although I've never had one.

Dontlaugh Sat 23-Sep-17 21:17:23

In your position, I'd be driving the new XC90 and leaving the issue of what husband drives to guess who? The husband.

Dontlaugh Sat 23-Sep-17 21:19:59

Although in the interests of helpfulness, a Picasso has 3 full back seats.
As does a Peugeot 5008
And possibly 3008 (not sure on that one).
I'd still be in the XC90.

samanthaterry1983 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:29:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: