Talk

Advanced search

Mini Countryman

(18 Posts)
tiba Fri 04-Aug-17 19:54:27

I'm not getting on with my car and now I have a newborn I'd like to find a car I'm happy with again,

Have always had minis in the past so thinking about a countryman.

Does anyone have one and if so do you think it would fit an infant car seat behind the driver and a pram in the boot?

CJCreggsGoldfish Fri 04-Aug-17 19:57:10

I have one! They had a facelift in March 2017 so are now even larger. Yes, you would fit in the car seat, you should get the pram in but it's best to check. If you pop to a dealership they'll let you try both your car seat and pram (we've done this) before gig but.

CJCreggsGoldfish Fri 04-Aug-17 19:57:44

'Gig but' should read 'you buy'...bloody autocorrect.

TheFaerieQueene Fri 04-Aug-17 20:00:13

My DSis has one and live it.

TheFaerieQueene Fri 04-Aug-17 20:00:25

Loves FFS

Rufus27 Fri 04-Aug-17 20:09:41

Before you buy, test drive it and compare it to the Mini Cooper hatch 5 door. If you like a car with a bit of 'ooomph', I'd seriously consider the 5 door Cooper hatch rather than the Countryman. I was all set to buy a Countryman, but a test drive of the two totally changed my mind.

I have a baby seat in the back (iso fix) behind me and can fit DS's pushchair in the boot, along with other bits and bobs. (The new hatch boot is the same size as the Fiesta, apparently). It's a very different car to my previous Mini, but unlike driving the Countryman, I think the Cooper 5 door hatch is still 'fun' to drive (whilst still practical) if that makes sense?

If you go for the hatch, try to avoid the 17" wheels as the tax is higher and the ride not as smooth I found this out too late.

MozzchopsThirty Fri 04-Aug-17 20:18:10

I also have the 5 door hatch and love it
Loads of boot room and car seats in the back
I like the new shape clubman but am not a countryman fan

tiba Fri 04-Aug-17 21:13:09

Thanks! Hadn't even considered the 5 door hatch as assumed the boot would still be tiny.
Will take a look.

Exciting!

ElizabethBennettismybestfriend Fri 04-Aug-17 21:16:14

I have one and I love it. The best car I have ever had!

tiba Fri 04-Aug-17 21:38:24

Had another look. Don't think my budget can stretch to the 5 door hatch so a countryman it would be.

Does anyone have any pointers as to if I should be looking to buy a cooper d or cooper sd?

MozzchopsThirty Fri 04-Aug-17 21:42:50

Isn't the 5 door hatch cheaper than a countryman?

tiba Fri 04-Aug-17 22:45:37

I'd be buying second hand, and the countryman has been around slightly longer so can pick a second hand pen up for around £8-9k

Rufus27 Fri 04-Aug-17 22:58:59

I wanted the five door hatch but couldn't afford it. Countryman was a poor second (in my view) both aesthetically and in terms of performance. Ummed and aghhed for ages. Eventually got a year old five door hatch for a brilliant price. Ex demo. Managed this by being patient, building relationships with specific garages/members of staff and searching far from home. Put in a cheeky offer just as that year quarter closed, and it was accepted! Williams in Manchester was good (they sometimes import ones from N Ireland at a good price) though eventually got one from a main dealer in Portsmouth. I think the five door hatches will retain their value better as their reviews are favourable (to Countryman).

Beware of new Mini Diesel engines OP (the BMW). 'Which Cars'noted an issue with their emissions, if I remember rightly.

MozzchopsThirty Sat 05-Aug-17 08:54:50

Ah I see
That's a shame op, I love mine, he has a name and everything grin

JT05 Tue 15-Aug-17 16:01:44

I'd look at the NCAP safety stars before buying anything. I was in a Mini Cooper as the front passenger, it was side swiped at about 30 mph. The chassis bent and the passenger door wouldn't open. Fortunately it didn't catch fire!

Tiba Thu 17-Aug-17 16:23:28

Jt05 - one of the reasons I trust minis so much is that I was in the passenger seat of one last year that went head on into another car at 50mph. The car was solid and we just came out with bruises

Farrows20 Fri 06-Apr-18 14:19:32

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what car seat and pram you managed to fit in a mini 5 door hatchback? Otherwise think we'll have to get the countryman. Thanks!

MozzchopsThirty Fri 06-Apr-18 18:02:29

The 5 door would fit any pram & car seat
The boot is massive and you can make it deeper
I'm getting another one at xmas, can't imagine driving anything else now

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: