Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a dashcam they'd recommend plus other basic questions!

(5 Posts)
elevenclips Tue 18-Jul-17 21:45:24

I think I should get a dashcam as I see some crazy stuff on the roads and would like to have a bit of protection!

I'd like to get one that stays put and isn't too obtrusive (not on a suction cup to windscreen - really find that difficult - used to have a sat hav that kept falling off!). Can anyone recommend one?

Also how does it work with being on/off - does it stay on or do you need to turn on/off? Also does it record footage to its own storage and then overwrite (if yes how often)

Finally where to buy! Thanks for any replies.

BackforGood Tue 18-Jul-17 23:41:12

Don't know any of the answers, but hopefully bumping will mean the are seen by someone who does and then I can find out too.

Mountainmum3 Tue 12-Feb-19 10:30:30

Hi Elevenclips

Sorry I'm late to the thread, hoping it may still help you/someone else. I've got a little Nextbase one on my windscreen and its done me wonders for my confidence on the road. I hadn't long passed and wanted to make sure that anything that happened was on camera.

To be fair when I was looking almost all of them hide behind the rear view mirror anyways so don't worry about it being intrusive because you choose where it goes (they also have screen savers too). Mine has a sticky mount that makes it permanently stick rather than relying on a suction cup vacuum.

Youre right it overwrites the oldest stuff and replaces it with the latest, take off anything important before its overwritten though. Easy to do if you get one with wifi or somehting similar. I have a 32GB card and get about 2 hours on the 41ZGW (or is it 412GW), it goes on and off with ignition so not much effort really.

Have a look online at review regarding where to buy from, depends on your budget really.

Happy to answer any other questions you have?

JudyOha Thu 21-Feb-19 22:21:37

Hi,
I think with a lot of dash cams you can set a loop time period e.g. 5 mins, or 3 mins etc. if you wish so it'll keep writing over every few minutes so you don't get the memory card becoming full with unnecessary videos all the time.

Some of them have motion detectors too I believe which claim to detect movement and turn on + start recording if so. Not sure how effective that is though.

Lifecraft Fri 22-Feb-19 13:58:02

Just remember, a dashcam can be used against you as well as help you. If you are involved in an accident that's your fault, and the police are called, they can seize it and use it as evidence to prosecute you, whereas without it, even though you caused the crash, you may not have been prosecuted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »