7 seater, worth the extra?

(50 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Tue 30-May-17 09:57:45

We are considering a 7 seater. We are a family of 5. The extra 2 seats would be handy to have for taking out extra children but it's not necessary. And I'm honestly wondering if it's worth potentially an extra few thousand to have those 2 extra seats. Plus I do have concerns about seats in the crumple zone. We need a large boot for camping/holidays but wondering if we should just go for an estate.
Anyone any advice? Anyone think it's a good idea or a waste of extra cash for the occasional times they'd be used?
One other point being that I'd prefer not to drive something huge. I would not be driving it most of the time but I would be anxious at driving something huge.
Anyone any advice please?

QuestionableMouse Tue 30-May-17 10:00:56

I have a 7 seater zafira and it's fab. I don't think it feels huge (disclaimer - I like driving big cars) and the extra seats have come in useful quite often. There was space for my 6ft partner to sit in them.

What car were you thinking of getting?

AliceTown Tue 30-May-17 10:01:23

I'd get an estate or an SMax.

muckypup73 Tue 30-May-17 10:04:05

The Smax are supposed to be really reliable.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 30-May-17 10:05:15

Grande scenic here!! Can just flatten the back 2 seats for a huge boot!!

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Tue 30-May-17 10:44:07

Mitsubishi outlander is good too for 7 seats.

Twinnies10 Tue 30-May-17 12:39:27

I have 3 kids and the ford snax, wouldn't be without it, it's not huge but we are always using at least one of the spare seats for school pick ups etc. We go camping too and have a roof box for it for extras

Harvey342009 Tue 30-May-17 12:42:01

I have a 7 seater zafira and it's brilliant for children's friends, I would only buy 7 seaters now as I don't think I'd manage without the extra seats

BettySmut Tue 30-May-17 12:42:09

I have a Grand C-Max and it's great. The sliding doors are a real bonus. I've driven Zafiras before but prefer the C-Max for the doors. When all 7 seats are up there is bugger all boot space though (same with Zafira).

wheresthel1ght Tue 30-May-17 12:43:31

I have a zafira and we are due to upgrade soon and looking at the Citroën c4 which is fb ear version of the smax. I love the flexibility and it means we can go out with Grandparents without taking 2 cars. Plus the huge boot is amazing!

lorisparkle Tue 30-May-17 12:57:05

I absolutely love my Ford Galaxy and because the back two seats are full size there is no problems putting the grand parents in the back and there is amble room behind if there was a crash. When the seats are down there is loads of boot room for all our camping gear. I would have preferred sliding doors but at the time we bought it it had the best safety ratings of all the seven seaters and the best size rear seats.

lorisparkle Tue 30-May-17 12:58:48

Oh yeah I was very nervous of driving a large car but after a while I got used to it. I do think carefully of where I park it but it is not a heavy car to drive.

Wolfiefan Tue 30-May-17 12:59:42

I love my s max. It doesn't feel like a massive car.

skyzumarubble Tue 30-May-17 12:59:50

We have a zafira too - ugly thing but I love it. The boot space is much bigger than an estate with the seats down and the seats if you use them are a good size.

christmashope Tue 30-May-17 13:01:09

I am onto my second ford galaxy
I love it
Used to have an smax but found the two seats at the back a bit small

ThouShallNotPass Tue 30-May-17 13:04:21

I love love LOVE my Zafira. We have three kids and often have one of two of their pals with us for one reason or another, especially as our eldest is now 10.
A 7 seater means we can also take granny with us on day trips and the like. The huuuge boot is fantastic for a full month's food shop, or popping the kid's bikes in to take them out somewhere.
Another great feature of a Zafira is by putting the seats up it's essentially a van. I've had a fridge freezer, washing machine and a microwave all in the back at once with room to spare. Saved us a fortune on not hiring a van for moving.

EsmeWeatherwax Tue 30-May-17 13:26:13

DH has an smax for his company car and it's absolutely brilliant, huge but great to drive, very composed and car like. I drive a Grand Scenic which is good, but the SMax leaves it for dirt. We are a family of five and I wouldn't really like to be without a seven seater, just incredibly handy. If I was using the seven seats on a regular basis I'd go for as big as I could get tbh, but the smaller ones ok for occasional use.

Newmanwannabe Tue 30-May-17 13:29:05

Love my 7 seater. It does have parting sensors and cameras which makes parking easier. Being bigger means I am higher up too. After a week or so it's like you were always driving something big, you get used to it

AGnu Tue 30-May-17 13:53:15

We're shortly to become a family of 5 & think we're going to need a bigger car. Can you fit 3 car seats across the middle row of an S Max? We'll have 2 high back booster & a baby seat to squeeze in. Will most likely put at least one of the older ones in the very back for most journeys, but will need the extra boot space when we go camping.

Twinnies10 Tue 30-May-17 15:05:46

Yes I've had 3 car seats in the middle row no problems at all

keeponkeepinon Tue 30-May-17 16:05:47

Wow thanks for all the responses! It seems seven seaters are very useful after all!
I like the s max but it's a bit pricier than some of the others. Looking at zafira, zafira tourer, looked at the grand c max but felt it might be a bit narrow across the back for 3 on longer journeys? Plus the boot was a little smaller. But then the car is a nice size! Also like the look of the grand c4. I'm lost looking at them all. Zafiras are clearly the most affordable but are there reliability issues? What sizes of engine for you go for? This would be mostly school runs with a few longer trips out.

Newmanwannabe Tue 30-May-17 16:08:20

Would you ever go somewhere that would require you to tow scamper or caravan, or something else heavy? That might help guide you with engine size?

keeponkeepinon Tue 30-May-17 16:09:31

Nah, roof box, that's all. I don't think we'd ever tow anything.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 30-May-17 16:13:18

I'm planning to get the new Skoda Kodiaq as my next car - 7-seater and has excellent reviews.

SheepyFun Tue 30-May-17 16:23:58

A reversing camera is your friend if you're not completely confident about parking. We have an estate, but not a 7 seater, and I'm very grateful for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now