BMW X5 for family of 5? (vs Q7 or XC 90)

(7 Posts)
redtulips123 Thu 18-May-17 20:31:41

Hi - we are about to move from USA to Cambridge. We currently own an Acura MDX (7-seats), which has been great for our family of 5 (ages 7, 10, 13). We mostly use front 2 rows only, but sometimes need to be able to fit extra kids. This will be true for us in UK as well since we have nephews in the area. We really want 7 seats.

DH wants Audi Q7, with all the space, but I'm wary of trying to park that thing in Europe. I'm trying to convince him that BMW X5 would be better since it's quite a bit smaller, and we don't need 3rd row on daily basis and only for kids.

Honestly, we'll not drive nearly as much in UK, since we'll be living walking/cycling distance to schools/work.

Can anyone comment on occasional use of the 3rd row in BMW X5?

Thanks.
Red

Otherpeoplesteens Fri 19-May-17 09:51:58

Unfortunately, the X5 has something of a reputation here as being driven by drug dealers, wannabe Mr Bigs, and assorted other assholes. As well as being weak dynamically in comparison with other premium SUVs, no-one will ever let you out at junctions so you'll have to drive like an asshole too. I had one as a courtesy car for a week and couldn't wait to get rid of it, although this was the original 5 seat model so I cannot personally comment on the third row of seats.

Big cars are difficult to park here period. 'Downsizing' from a Q7 to an X5 is really going to make little difference.

Everyone I know who wants a 7-seat SUV goes for a Land Rover Discovery, although the new Skoda Kodiaq, which has VW-sourced German engines and drivetrains, has some very good reviews and costs a helluva lot less.

Howlandbreathe Fri 19-May-17 10:06:35

grin a typical MN response ^ to what is a lovely car which may or may not be driven by an asshole

We have a 7 seater which has occasional use. I would stress ' occasional ' use. We all tend to fight as to who ends up in the back and invariably it's me to keep the peace !!. I have taken 6 teenage rugby players to a match complete with bags so plenty of space.

Nice car. Comfortable. Well made and holds residuals well. Also a lot lot cheaper than discos which I think look like bricks.

You are going to have a shock to the system when you see the size of uk parking spaces - parking sensors are a must whatever you decide on

redtulips123 Tue 23-May-17 17:28:13

Interesting - I had no idea BMW X5 was seen as car for drug dealers and assholes in the UK, but I've asked around to other British friends and they agree! .... In the US, BMW generally has a bit of a stuck-up image, but the Cadillac Escalades are for drug dealers (and secret agents!) - though I know many families who drive them as well.

I personally just liked the sleek look of BMW, and the fact that it can seat 7 in a pinch, but I'm not into projecting a certain image.

In any case, the Audi Q7 that DH wants is growing on me. I don't like the look of the discos that seem so popular with larger families in the UK, and DH doesn't think the Volvo Xc90 has enough power... I thought it was fine, but he'll be driving it a lot...

We'll have a second small, economical, zippy car, as our primary car, and the 7-seater will be for when we need the space (trips, lift shares, Costco shopping, etc) or need both cars at the same time. We won't need cars for daily commute -- we'll live close to schools/work for cycling/walking. But our friends and family all live in the London area so we'll do that ~1.5 hr drive fairly often.

Thanks for the feedback on the BMW. I think we'll go for more of a 3rd row and avoid that drug dealer/ asshole image....

skyzumarubble Tue 23-May-17 17:31:44

My neighbour has a q7 and they can't. Do a 3 point turn in our road. It's lovely but seriously huge.

officerhinrika Tue 23-May-17 17:43:37

My sister has replaced an X5 with the Volvo and is very pleased with it. The 6th &7th seats are ok for kids. The Volvo has a much cleaner sleeker interior the the BMW and she like the ride. As long as you have all the cameras and parking aids you'll be fine even on our congested island, they almost park themselves. She was rather horrified by the cost of tyres (runflats) and servicing for the BMW. If you are going to live rurally then don't get a light interior either.

Otherpeoplesteens Wed 24-May-17 10:18:25

Besides the size of roads and parking spaces, one of the things that really takes Americans by surprise here is the cost of running a car - both the price of the thing itself and things like gas, servicing, and so on. They are truly eye-watering if you come from the US.

Does it have to be an SUV? If not, then many of the minivans available here in the UK might be a better bet for your needs and will generally have lower running costs. Amongst the large minivans the SEAT Alhambra and Volkswagen Sharan are almost identical and seem highly rated with sliding doors for those narrow parking spaces, while the Ford Galaxy is also well-liked, as is its S-Max cousin. Lots of manufacturers sell mid-size minivans with pop-up third rows of seats for occasional use.

If it has to be a 4x4 and you're not into projecting a certain image, then you might also consider a Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe which are both seven seat SUVs which seem fairly popular here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now