Small or very small cars

(6 Posts)
PhyllisWig Thu 13-Apr-17 15:52:52

Looking to replace my beloved golf as she's getting to that stage.

My car is the second car, used almost exclusively as my commuting car but v occasionally needs to also house tall DH and 2 x dds who are 6/7 but only generally for short runs.

I have a 45 minute commute everyday, half motorway, half horrid traffic.

Key considerations are safety and economy. I listen to radio 2 and get cold so am happy with simplicity inside smile. I park in an open car park where people have a relaxed approach to scratching and bumping so don't want to spend too much on something pretty.

I am a 'nippy' driver (or girl racer as DH terms me) so will get grumpy if there isn't a bit of poke.

Reviews suggest citigo or Hyundai l10 however am wondering if maybe I should consider the next size up so fiesta/l20 or fabia?

I want second hand but do intend to run it into the ground as I do all my cars so not older than 4 years old and lowish mileage. I don't really want to spend more than 5k.

Any recs/suggestions/warnings?

Sirzy Thu 13-Apr-17 15:58:24

I have a corsa which is great and very nippy

LapdanceShoeshine Thu 13-Apr-17 16:08:34

www.whatcar.com/news/best-used-city-cars-for-less-than-5000-pounds/

City car recommendations - includes i10 & the Kia equivalent, Picanto

You'll get balance of 7 years warranty with a Kia (we've had 2 ceeds - i30 equivalent - very happy with both)

LapdanceShoeshine Thu 13-Apr-17 16:12:14

www.whatcar.com/news/best-used-small-cars-for-5000-pounds/

Same thing for small cars - includes Fiesta & Fabia - no Hyundai or Kia though...

justinelibertine Thu 13-Apr-17 16:18:34

I have a 1.2 hyundai i20. I went from a 1.4 volkswagen fox. So similar to you. My i20 is very reliable as a runaround, but has no power whatsoever. It's very slow getting going from a junction and find I end up over revving cos of lack of power.
Also tends to be stally in the wet.

PolterGoose Thu 13-Apr-17 16:29:14

A little older perhaps than you're looking for, but the 2005-2011 Suzuki Swift 1.5 was a fantastic drive, lots of fun and well-spec'ed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now