First baby, should we get an SUV?

(38 Posts)
clarkey82 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:54:15

Hi, we've got our first baby due in June and i'm wondering if the family car should be replaced with something more child friendly. We currently have a Jaguar XF saloon, its got a big boot (although not very high) and can take a buggy + shopping / luggage but a lot of my friends and colleagues are saying I should swap it for something like a Nissan Qashqai (or however that's spelt) or Kia Sportage. Something higher up so getting baby in and out isn't such a back breaking chore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is having a normal saloon car a problem?
Thanks.

peanutbutter310 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:04:55

Giving this a bump as I'm due in April and wandering the same thing!

TheOnlyLivingDeadBoyInNewYork Tue 14-Mar-17 22:06:38

Why the hell would you need an SUV of all things for one baby? Of course a normal car isn;t a problem, just glance around you while outside and you can see that.

PatriciaHolm Tue 14-Mar-17 22:08:45

Of course you don't need an SUV. We managed with a Subaru Impreza for about 8 years! Before we took up camping....

TheBeastInMsRooneysRoom Tue 14-Mar-17 22:08:48

Oh you'll be fine! By all means replace it if you want but you certainly wont have a problem with a normal saloon. I had 3 under 4 and managed with a Meriva. As it happens, we're getting a minivan today but only because we needed a new car anyway having been without for a while. I'd happily still use the Meriva. The biggest factor is a car seat that is easy to move in and out. Fixed bases are the real game changer, not raised vehicles.

LtGreggs Tue 14-Mar-17 22:09:03

I think you'll find it harder to manhandle a car seat in/out of a high SUV. And a toddler won't be able to get in/out by themselves. I'd stick with the kind of thing you have - as long as it is 5 doors and decent boot size for buggy.

Test your actual pushchair in your actual boot - serious risk of an expensive mismatch otherwise.

Batfurger Tue 14-Mar-17 22:09:26

No. You'll only be back here dripping about P&C spaces. An SUV FFS, what are you becoming a farmer at the same time?

Have a look at the world, having a child doesn't make you extra special. Millions of people do it all of the time and don't get status symbols.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Tue 14-Mar-17 22:10:11

Your current car will be fine.
If you want a SUV then get one but there is no way you need one. That's totally ridiculous.

lorelairoryemily Tue 14-Mar-17 22:10:38

grin

JoyceDivision Tue 14-Mar-17 22:11:25

We had a ford ka, then a saab 93 for dc2, then an astra. Fitted prams, bags etc all fine.

You don't need an SUV unless you are expecting octuplets grin

PurpleTraitor Tue 14-Mar-17 22:11:39

Blimey

I had an ancient three door Corsa

Back breaking chore?!

KarmaNoMore Tue 14-Mar-17 22:12:21

Avoid the SUV dear, it ages you. wink

Orangedaisy Tue 14-Mar-17 22:12:26

We have a qashqai-the boot is actually really small, you'd be better off sticking with your jaguar.

BikeRunSki Tue 14-Mar-17 22:12:31

I managed fine with a Skoda Fabia. Have now moved onto a Golf. I do live on an unsurfaced road, maybe I should get an SUV?

Celticlassie Tue 14-Mar-17 22:13:17

We're the same. Bought a new car when I was 6 months pregnant (first child) and everyone assumed it would be some massive people carrier type thing. It's one little baby ffs. (Who I accept has a lot of baggage, but still.)

5OBalesofHay Tue 14-Mar-17 22:16:00

I got the bus when mine was little. I survived.

JustRosieHere Tue 14-Mar-17 22:16:03

You really don't need a big car! When I had a toddler and a baby I only had a corsa. Everybody fit in fine I just put the pram base in the boot sideways and shopping in the foot wells grin. The car you have sounds fine

hideehigh Tue 14-Mar-17 22:23:15

I had a three door fiesta with my first! Honestly, keep the car you have now as long as the pushchair can fit in the boot no problem

SansaClegane Tue 14-Mar-17 22:25:25

What a strange idea! No, of course you don't need to change your car for one child.

Fwiw SUVs aren't even big cars, certainly no bigger than the Jag estate you have. They are essentially hatchbacks on stilts, inside space is very limited. So unless you'd go for a proper 4x4 type like a Q7, X5, XC90 etc you wouldn't gain any space.

redandwhite1 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:25:45

No!

We had (still have) a saloon, don't need anything bigger! Some people cope with tiny cars!

Deadsouls Tue 14-Mar-17 22:26:08

Get an SUV if you want but it doesn't make any difference really in terms of having a baby. You just need a boot big enough to fit a buggy in.

morvoren Tue 14-Mar-17 22:27:44

I have a Fiat 500. No problems here... 😉

PurpleTraitor Tue 14-Mar-17 22:28:05

No, you need a car big enough to fit a car seat in. Buggy isn't a necessity. I've never put a buggy in my car.

ImogenTubbs Tue 14-Mar-17 22:30:39

Erm, we have a 14 year-old Toyota Corolla and we manage just fine. Would quite like an SUV though... maybe next year!

honeysucklejasmine Tue 14-Mar-17 22:33:45

I have a Fiat 500L. I did have a polo and did find it back breaking getting baby in and out (i have connective tissue disease) and the pram filled the whole boot. Now DD is in a swivel seat car seat at the perfect height to get her in and out, and the boot has an extra shelf for my shopping. Perfecto.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now