Car tax changes - did you know this was happening?

(13 Posts)
shovetheholly Mon 06-Mar-17 15:22:07

So I just found this out at the weekend, and while many of you probably already know, it was news to me!!

Vehicle excise duty is changing from 2 April. If your new car is registered after that date, you will pay new rates of tax. For the most efficient petrol cars, these represent a substantial hike on current costs. A band B car is going to increase from £20/year currently to £140!

What is more, the rates are active for a time into the future - so if you buy a car on 2 April, you'll pay £140 every year, whereas someone who gets the registration through before 31 March will continue to pay £20 for some time to come. Over a few years, this means the cost for those who like efficient petrol cars will be hundreds of quid extra.

While I support tax rises, I do think it's bonkers to hit the most ecofriendly petrol cars the hardest and let the more polluting cars off the hook!

Toocleverformyowngood Mon 06-Mar-17 15:35:05

Too many cars pay cheap tax, country need to recoup the costs.

It's only on cars registered AFTER 2nd April 2017.

I will continue paying £30 a year as mine is 2006.

If anyone can afford to purchase a brand new car, even on finance, then I'm sure the fee to tax it will be minor to them.

shovetheholly Mon 06-Mar-17 16:04:43

I agree, I just think they should be making the most polluting cars more expensive, not the least polluting.

Rainmaker1 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:02:42

While I support tax rises, I do think it's bonkers to hit the most ecofriendly petrol cars the hardest and let the more polluting cars off the hook!

Erm, the highest polluting cars are getting absolutely butt fucked in these tax changes.

shovetheholly Tue 07-Mar-17 14:51:53

Can you explain the data rainmaker? Maybe I've misunderstood, but the greatest % increases look to be in the lower emissions brackets? The leap from £20 to £140 is 600% - I can't see any other bracket with that kind of percentage rise! Those buying highly polluting cars that cost under £40k will pay a little bit more the first year but thereafter the same as those with far more ecofriendly cars.... Or have I got that wrong?

Toocleverformyowngood Tue 07-Mar-17 17:52:42

From what I've read, everyone is having a flat rate tax.

Of course older cars which do pollute are on high tax bands anyway.

I pay £30 yet my step dad pays £240 because his car is probably as old as I am & it pumps a lot of co2

BuddingGardener Sun 12-Mar-17 15:03:28

I work in the car industry and I know about it, but your the first person I've spoke to outside of work who knows about it.
This is the reason why I have just bought a new car, I've been thinking about it for a while and the time is now right. Get it in 10 days, I'm so excited this is my first new car

megletthesecond Sun 12-Mar-17 15:07:20

I didn't know about this. I pay something like £26 month. Better go and find out what's happening to mine I guess.

BackforGood Sun 12-Mar-17 15:20:34

I think if you are in a position to think it's worthwhile spending the ££££ you will lose just by driving a brand new car off the forecourt, then I can't see how £120 difference is going to impact your decision that much.

shovetheholly Mon 13-Mar-17 08:54:58

As I understand it, there are differential rates of tax in the first year, and then a flat rate thereafter - no matter how polluting the car is. I think that's right? (I'm confused about this).

This will presumably affect these new cars when they are resold as second hand cars - so it will affect everyone who needs to buy a new car in future, just at different points.

shovetheholly Mon 13-Mar-17 08:56:06

So, for example, if you buy a Skoda Fabia (band B) before 1 April, you will pay £20 tax a year for the foreseeable future. Whereas if you buy it after 1 April, you'll pay £140 a year. And if you get that car in 3 years' time secondhand, you'll also pay £140.

OdinsLoveChild Mon 13-Mar-17 09:06:04

I have a 2004 car which beats most newer cars on emissions yet I have always had to pay a higher rate, this year its £145. Had I bought this car 12 months later the tax would be £30. My car has lower emmissions than the newer model when compared with their official figures.
Its daft the way it is where those people who buy older cars because they can't afford newer cars pay the most in the tax.

shovetheholly Mon 13-Mar-17 10:45:56

odin - That is BONKERS!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now