Would you buy a diesel car?

(44 Posts)
Ididtry Sun 05-Mar-17 16:25:41

I keep reading about how polluting they are (after years of being told they were the mire efficient option) and that they should be heavily taxed/banned in city centres but if youre looking to buy a new large family car there doesn't seem to be much choice.

We're looking for something in the mould of the Nissan Xtrail, Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Edge, but they're all only available with diesel engines. It seems to get a petrol engine you need to get a luxury sports version like the Jaguar or Porche, which sadly isn't going to happen for us.

What do you think is going to happen about diesel vehicles?

insancerre Sun 05-Mar-17 16:34:57

No I wouldn't
And I can't understand why anyone else would
I think the will be heavily yard and banned with a scrapage scheme

insancerre Sun 05-Mar-17 16:36:07

*taxed not yard

Okite Sun 05-Mar-17 16:38:47

We're doing the exact same search at the moment. It is possible to find larger cars with petrol engines but try finding one that's also automatic!
Anyway, we have been traipsing round many showrooms, have you considered an Outlander PHEV, Citroen grand Picasso, Peugeot 5008?

Ididtry Sun 05-Mar-17 16:39:23

I tend to agree with you insancerre, but the manufacturers don't seem to be taking any notice. Unless I'm missing something this class of car doesn't have any petrol models available. What are the options?

monkeyfacegrace Sun 05-Mar-17 16:39:26

I've only ever had diesel cars.

Not a helpful response but the only one I've got grin

ConfessorKahlan Sun 05-Mar-17 16:40:20

Diesel is really the only option for our family. We tow a 25 foot 6 berth caravan, so the engine needs to have enough power to tow efficiently. However, we also need to be able to afford to run the car on a daily basis without the caravan. A petrol run engine that is powerful enough to tow the van would cost a fortune in running costs for the daily use.

Ididtry Sun 05-Mar-17 16:45:24

Yes, that's always been the argument Confessor, but depending on what you read, diesels are about to be taxed off the road.

123yourusername Sun 05-Mar-17 16:56:23

Looking for a car at the minute and not even considering buying a petrol. I drive over 80 miles a day and it's far too expensive- diesel all the way.

twinklefoot Sun 05-Mar-17 17:00:06

Just bought a diesel. I am not worried.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 05-Mar-17 17:07:42

I'm not worried either.

But if you're buying a new car, make sure you buy it before end of March!

Ididtry Sun 05-Mar-17 17:08:56

Why Monkey?

Sunnydaysrock Sun 05-Mar-17 17:08:57

Just bought diesel Hyundai Tucson, love it.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 05-Mar-17 17:09:17

I've just bought a Fiat tipo. Diesel was the only option

ThomasRichard Sun 05-Mar-17 17:09:26

I just replaced my diesel MPV with a hybrid. The mileage is about the same and by the time I took into account £0 road tax and lower insurance premiums it worked out to be the same monthly price too. The Prius+ is a hybrid 7-seater.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 05-Mar-17 17:09:49

Because that's when the new tax rules come in.

Sunnydaysrock Sun 05-Mar-17 17:10:07

Tax goes up at end of march I believe

gamerchick Sun 05-Mar-17 17:11:41

Nope, not after the carry on and the many MANY pennies I had to fork out because of that stupid dpf.

A new one maybe but not a second hand one.

4yoniD Sun 05-Mar-17 17:26:45

I bought a diesel only because it was the second hand car I wanted; the spec level, mileage and price I wanted and it just happened to be a diesel. I am now looking at getting a trailer tent and understand it will tow nicely. It costs me less in fuel than my last, smaller engine, petrol car and I fill up less often. So it's great for me, but I don't live in England. If I did I would worry about the suggestions of banning diesels from cities etc. don't know if that helps at all!

Btw I have a functioning dpf (filter). They can go wrong, and if they do they cost £1k plus to fix.

shovetheholly Mon 06-Mar-17 15:10:50

No, absolutely not. I know all cars pollute, but knowing what we do now about diesel, I definitely wouldn't get one. (Not remotely blaming those with Diesels who bought them in good faith, thinking they were better for the environment!)

BarchesterFlowers Sun 12-Mar-17 17:39:23

We have two diesel cars - always have done. We won't replace them with diesels though, just about to embark on deciding what to replace with which means my trade in values will have fallen through the floor.

Lets face it though, whatever the government come up with in the Autumn budget, most of the pollution caused by diesel comes from lorries - after pushing them on the general public it will be the general public who will pay for the poor advice given previously.

noeuf Sun 12-Mar-17 17:42:39

I was hoping the march budget would include a diesel scrapage scheme as mine is five years old and bought when diesel was okay and still promoted. I need a new car now but not sure what to do.
Wouldn't buy diesel again if I had a choice.

Ta1kinPeace Sun 12-Mar-17 17:45:11

I've never had diesel
and knowing that they will be banned from many city centres in the next few years would make work impossible if I were ever to buy one.

The impact of particulates on childrens' health has always ruled them out for me.

Ta1kinPeace Sun 12-Mar-17 17:45:52

most of the pollution caused by diesel comes from lorries
No
lorries have stricter rules than cars and tend to be newer

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 12-Mar-17 17:46:28

I have a 5 year old diesel that I still have 3 years finance on. Is 5 years old considered one of the old nasty diesels or one of the newer friendlier ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now