Need an upgrade from my Mercedes A-class - any bright ideas?

(10 Posts)
MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Sat 04-Mar-17 17:18:04

I've had my A-class a few years now and it's horrible to drive, but I love the visibility and the fact it's so small.

The kids are nearly 2 and 4 yo, so I won't need to cart pushchair around for much longer, but conscious that as they get bigger I'll have greater luggage needs for holidays (2-3 per year I guess including short breaks?).

Sooo... ultimately what I want is:

Car that seats 4 comfortably
Nippy on the motorway (always on the motorway)
Decent boot space (450L+ ideally)
Options for Bluetooth, automatic lights, etc
Manoeuvrable (sp?) and easy to park!

Any good ideas from anyone?

I was thinking Audi A3 sportback (but boot space smaller than what I have now), Audi A4 (but seems a bit large for me to drive?), VW Tiguan (but seems really expensive and large!). Gahhh!!!

Anarchyinateacup Sat 04-Mar-17 19:52:24

Ford Focus or Vw Golf are both good mid-size cars, with plenty of add on options!

Nightfall1983 Sat 04-Mar-17 20:45:38

Highly recommend Toyota, the Auris is probably the one for you. They have fab storage/space which is very flexible and are beautifully manoeuvrable (ace turning circle) as well as fuel efficient. They are not cheap to purchase but they are also not cheap inside or out (iyswim). Worth a look.

AvacadoSalad Fri 10-Mar-17 21:21:01

2005-2012 BMW 3-Series Touring might be worth a look? Loads of them about with a good range of engines for all budgets (2.0L 4-cylinder and 2.5L - 3.0L 6-cylinder petrol / 2.0L 4-cylinder annd 3.0L 6-cylinder diesel / manual and automatic).

Whilst you sit a little lower down than in the A-Class, you do get a larger boot (460L v 435L of the A-Class).

Seats 4 comfortably, most versions are reasonably swift - 330i, 335i, 330d and 335d models especially.

Bluetooth, iDrive, electrically-assisted tailgate, auto lights, wipers, xenon lights/headlamp wash...

3.0L petrol isn't much thirstier than the 2.0L petrol; high 30s mpg on the motorway are achievable... 3.0L diesel will do mid 40s on the motorway.

Very manoeuvrable (feels smaller on the road than it is) and easy to park.

mrssmith79 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:45:13

I've got the A3 sportback - great to drive but boot isn't that large and reports from (infrequent) back seat passengers haven't been too favourable comfort-wise. Have you thought about a Q3? I test drove a couple and was very pleasantly surprised. Plumped for the A3 in the end but the Q3 was surprising in terms of maneuverability etc.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 15-Mar-17 11:17:16

Hiya,

Sorry to be slow coming back on this, but thanks for the great idea!

Mrssmith79 - the Q3 just looked enormous to me!

Interesting to hear about the BMWs as I haven't even looked at their website, but will do so now.

My husband has something against non-German cars! But I am going to take a look at the Toyota too. Had a Mazda before and absolutely loved it.

somewhereovertherain Sat 18-Mar-17 07:33:55

Skoda yeti
Mazda 5
Skoda Octavia
Ford b max

somewhereovertherain Sat 18-Mar-17 07:35:04

Bmws tend to be driven by arseholes

Also if you really wanted a BMW they are pretty much giving them away a lease cars at the minute.

Callmecordelia Sat 18-Mar-17 07:42:42

I went from an A class to a Skoda Roomster. I much prefer it - it's a funny looking but fabulously practical car, and feels so much better than the Mercedes.

I'm not sure if they're made anymore, but my used one was a bargain, and we are already thinking of a yeti in a few years time.

dozyoldmangit Sat 18-Mar-17 12:15:33

I'm a bloke and this is my first post on Mumsnet. The comment about BMW drivers is perhaps a little bit of an overgeneralisation? I don't drive, and my dear wife is our driver. She has a BMW 2 Series 218i petrol Active Tourer, and is very pleased with it. Needless to say she's not an arsehole, and is in fact a member of the IAM, which as an organisation stands for responsible and careful driving. Grouse over.

You might like to have a look at the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer. We both like it very much. Unusually for a BMW it's front wheel drive; it's well built, roomy, and with a good size boot, and has good fuel economy for the class of car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now