Talk

Advanced search

Car for long commute

(7 Posts)
Jaagojaago Thu 23-Feb-17 23:41:55

I need a 5 door that can do 160 miles a day thrice a week - what's the best mpg wise?
Currently drive a fiesta which is doing that mileage with half a tank. Is there anything more economical?

ErrolTheDragon Fri 24-Feb-17 00:11:16

So thats 480 miles on about 4.5 gallons... thats over 100mpg... I doubt you'll find much better. Maybe a hybrid?confused

Jaagojaago Fri 24-Feb-17 06:53:36

Hmm my calculations aren't giving a 100 mpg?

It's basically costing £24 for a round trip from Guildford to Bedford and back.

Rainmaker1 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:41:21

Have you done a brim to brim calculation? Sounds like pure guesswork to me. You don't even say whether it's petrol or diesel you are using. I'll assume petrol and working on £1.17 per litre suggest you are doing around 36mpg. That's not terrible fuel economy but it could be better. Are you planning to add funds to replace your Fiesta or get something of similar value? A small diesel would be preferable but depending what part of the market you're in could offset the savings with higher repair costs. Without knowing more it's very difficult.

Jaagojaago Fri 24-Feb-17 17:46:23

You're correct all through thanks for that. Yes will add some funds and go for a diesel. Thanks v much

Rainmaker1 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:14:45

Well, don't add funds just for the sole reason of fuel economy. Do the sums, don't spend the money if it's going to take years to recoup.

Boodles Sat 25-Feb-17 19:17:03

Which fiesta do you have and are you happy with it generally? I'm trying to decide between an ecoboost and a 1.25 zetec.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: