Car finance?

(7 Posts)
Hgmother Wed 22-Feb-17 21:28:51

Hi, I have really good credit but I'm a stay at home parent with no job. (No benefits except tax credits)
My partner has bad credit but brings in the cash.
I have a contract phone, a few shopping accounts, all the bills are in my name.

I have never faulted on payments, been in debt, got any ccj's or anything like that.

Would I be able to get car finance under these circumstances do you think?
I can get my mother to sign as she knows I'd never not pay it but I'd rather not out of principle.
I'm looking at a car tomorrow and would just like to be prepared on my options is all. Thanks!

frazzled3ds Wed 22-Feb-17 21:36:50

My credit history is appalling (improving it is a long, slow work in progress), and yet, miraculously I did get finance on a car, admittedly at a slightly higher rate than the promotional stuff advertised, but nonetheless I was accepted (yay!!) and as such now have a nice second hand car, and am 18 months into the payment plan.

To get an idea on what your credit history looks like, have a look at noddle - it's a credit report site that's free, and will show you what the folks -computers- who make decisions on such things will see. Fingers crossed you'll get a decent deal on a car!

Hgmother Wed 22-Feb-17 21:41:07

Thanks! I'm happy for you that you managed to get your car!
My credit is really good, excellent if I remember rightly. I just hope that me not having an actual money earning job doesn't matter too much. I tend to pre panic about things and like to be prepared for all outcomes lol!

frazzled3ds Wed 22-Feb-17 21:43:24

I think they'll usually ask about household income, of which there is some in your case, so you may well be ok. As an alternative, it may be worth looking into a loan from the bank if a finance company proves awkward?

Hgmother Wed 22-Feb-17 21:46:30

That's a good idea, it didn't even occur to me to do that!

NickMyLipple Wed 22-Feb-17 21:49:20

They don't ask your income, but they do ask you to sign to say that you can afford the repayments and that there is nothing coming up which may affect your ability to pay.

Also, because in theory the car can be removed from you if you were to default, finance companies are a bit more lenient than some other forms of credit.

Hgmother Wed 22-Feb-17 21:51:24

Oh that's brilliant news. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now