Car for BIG dog!

(32 Posts)
Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 12:57:39

Finally got the dog of my dreams but she won't fit in my car much longer.
I'm thinking a 7 seater with the two back seats removed. Don't know which cars allow seats to be removed rather than folded down.
Boot entrance should be as low as possible and boot floor should be flat!(hence wanting to remove seats!)
Can you tip a middle seat forward to allow access through side (maybe sliding) passenger door?
Or do I need a van?!?! grin

Sadik Sun 05-Feb-17 13:13:55

Peugeot partner or similar? Drives like a car, but totally flat access to the boot and plenty of space for dog, children and random crap. As well as your dog, you can should you need drop the seats and put a laden pallet in with a forklift . . .
(Should say I used to have an 02 reg version but now have bigger van for work so not sure what the modern equivalent is exactly.)

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 13:21:10

Thanks Sadik. That sounds good. Will have a look. We are a family of four so dong need lots of seats.
Do want reliability though. Had a shocking Renault that cost us a fortune in repairs and hassle.

Sadik Sun 05-Feb-17 13:31:07

Ours was fine - ex-H still drives it though tbf it is pretty knackered now. But we bought it 2nd hand (ex Motability) in the first place and it gets filled with his work gear and hammered up and down unmade tracks, so it's not had an easy life.
I don't know about the newer versions though, would definitely be worth asking around - they're pretty popular round here, though that may be because we're a very rural area and people tend to have lots of dogs / children / work gear to cart about!

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 13:38:02

Had a look online and (because of what it is?!) it's hard to get anything very new or low mileage.

Madbengalmum Sun 05-Feb-17 13:41:28

What kind of dog? I have always found most large dogs to fit into an estate car.

Secretspillernamechange Sun 05-Feb-17 13:42:04

We've got a Kia carens for our Newfie. Plenty of space for him in the boot without folding seats down. It's an ugly car (sorry to any other carens owners) but SO practical.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 13:47:40

Mad she's a wolfhound. So not exactly a standard size! grin

CMOTDibbler Sun 05-Feb-17 13:51:20

We've just got a Skoda Superb estate, and the lurchers have a huge amount of space in the boot, so might be worth a look as you just want them to get it and lie down.

Madbengalmum Sun 05-Feb-17 13:52:42

Oh, i see! 😄
Maybe not an estate then!

Rumtopf Sun 05-Feb-17 13:52:44

I used to have a 7 seater Peugeot estate that you could totally take out the rear two seats, as well as any from the middle row. Nice and low for the dog to get in and out, excellent mileage, cheap tax and really shifted on the motorway. I've got a huge German shepherd and there was plenty of room for him and my friend's Doberman to stretch out after a long walk.

Manepartner Sun 05-Feb-17 13:55:48

VW sharan - the seats lie flat you don't need to take them out, they are level with the boot opening when flat.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 13:59:55

Haha Bengal no. Maybe not.
The thing is with this breed it's not just about physical space. I need a low entry point so she can ideally step in. Thought cars where the seats folded down would be too high.
Thanks everyone.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 14:01:03

CMOT. She tends to sit in the car not lie down. And I need there to be headspace for her to stand and turn round or get out the car.

Keeptrudging Sun 05-Feb-17 14:05:15

Vauxhall Zafira, back two seats fold flat into the floor. We used to have one and could fit our big black lab plus all our camping gear in easily. Midfle row also slid forward, giving even more room.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 05-Feb-17 14:08:59

We've had: Mondeo, Picasso, Galaxy (x2), s-Max, Mondeo estate & a Peugeot 807. I personally loved the Mondeo estate & the Galaxy. All have fitted a minimum of 1 Saint & as many dc as we had at the time plus a buggy comfortably. We're potentially switching back to a Galaxy from the 807 soon & I can't bloody wait.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 05-Feb-17 14:12:32

For reference our Saint when we had the Mondeo estate was just shy of 90cm lanky moo. She could sit up to look out the window smile

Manepartner Sun 05-Feb-17 14:15:04

Thought cars where the seats folded down would be too high. not really because they fold flat to the level the dog would need to climb to get in, its flush against the boot entry point. Removing the seats would just mean there would be a dip down into a lower part after climbing in. I hope that makes some sense :/

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 14:21:37

Mane that makes sense. I'm worried about her having to jump up over a boot lip into the car.
For context. She can't do steps as it would injure her joints. We are on very restricted exercise as she's a pup. And chewing my feet! grin

SouthPole Sun 05-Feb-17 14:25:37

No help (or maybe it will be!) but I met a chap whilst out walking the beagle and he had a mother and daughter Irish wolfhound duo.

In order to fit them in his car and not have to lift such huge dogs into the boot he bought a London Cab to take them around!!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 05-Feb-17 14:25:57

Wolfie we have a ramp for our Saint when we have higher cars, I've a friend that's a fabricator so had it made for me but quite a few online pet supply companies sell them.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 14:26:37

Haha! I would love a cab! Need to be able to separate bouncy chewing puppy from passengers and upholstery!

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 14:27:29

Bernards I have a ramp but it's such a blinking faff! And takes up valuable space in the car. If I have to replace my car anyway I would rather have one that means I could do without if that makes sense.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 05-Feb-17 14:36:41

Oh yes completely! Our difficultly is that we have to fit 4, soon to be 5, dc in too so we're well in to people carrier territory. Have a look at mondeo estates, the boot in ours was flush with the entrance because it had had an upgrade (so under that it was storage) and either the passnger side or middle seat of the back row could be folded flush.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 14:38:18

Just don't think an estate will be tall enough. shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now