Cold car, won't get up in the mornings!

(10 Posts)
picklemepopcorn Sun 22-Jan-17 17:46:15

Like my teenagers, my car won't wake up on cold days. Today at 10am it wouldn't start. By 12 when it had warmed up a bit, no problem. I took it for a little run to help the battery. What can I do to help it? I can't garage it just at the moment. I know it sounds daft, but would a blanket over the bonnet make any difference?

Sorry if I sound very ignorant, cars are not my strength.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 22-Jan-17 17:49:41

How old is your battery? If 5yrs + you probably need a new one. Halfords will replace it for you while you wait if you don't want to go to a garage.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 22-Jan-17 17:50:51

Came to say the same - I bet it's the battery. Had mine changed last winter after it had been playing up!

PinkBuffalo Sun 22-Jan-17 17:58:08

Also came to say the same! Battery to be changed. Car won't need to go in for any length of time. RAC did my dads car in about two minutes!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 22-Jan-17 18:03:22

And yes to halfords exchanging it while you wait. Just don't go to them for an MoT --_> thieving bastards.

picklemepopcorn Sun 22-Jan-17 18:35:50

Thank you all, it isn't the battery though. I've had it checked several times. Some of the wiring is shorted (?). The garage found and replaced some, but said it wouldn't be cost effective to do it all. Since then it has been really good, until today.

Thank you, I didn't think anyone would answer!

VforVienetta Sun 22-Jan-17 19:33:25

I used to keep a blanket over the bonnet of my old car, it definitely helped. It was an ancient Citroen tho, so dunno if it works on younger cars.
I had a thick Army blanket and used it folded, so the top layer froze, and middle layer insulated.

picklemepopcorn Sun 22-Jan-17 20:28:23

Ooh, great. I'll try it.

VforVienetta Sun 22-Jan-17 21:06:30

Worth figuring out if it makes a difference which way round you park too - my windscreen freezes far worse when it's facing North (away from the house), so I have to remember to park facing in.

picklemepopcorn Sun 22-Jan-17 21:33:34

Thank you! I turned her nose to the garage today. Will send son out with blanket shortly...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now