Does anyone have a BMW X1 or 3 series estate?

(25 Posts)
MeganChips Mon 16-Jan-17 17:52:34

I have a new job and am going to be spending a lot more time commuting a couple of days a week.

I'm looking for a mixture of performance and economy and these 2 seem to tick those boxes.

I currently have a Kia Ceed estate which is very practical but incredibly boring to drive and I can't wait to be rid of it. I do like an estate though!

Does anyone have either of these and would recommend it?

OCDmummy123 Mon 16-Jan-17 17:55:48

I love my X1 its fab my hubby has 3 series both of which are good especially his which is more economical - boot space is smaller on X1 than hoped gor

MeganChips Mon 16-Jan-17 18:18:35

I know the boot isn't great on the X1 which is one of the reasons I'm considering the estate.

Thanks though, good to know you like it. Are they reliable?

OCDmummy123 Mon 16-Jan-17 18:41:14

Yes very - more that n my three series was a great car to drive fab in bad weather great on long drives as well mega comfortable if you get ll the extras or leather seats etc

MissBeehiving Mon 16-Jan-17 20:00:37

We bought a 3 series estate new - no reliability, pain to service, no grip in the wet, poor customer service and complete engine failure after 4 years.

MeganChips Tue 17-Jan-17 18:46:02

That doesn't sound good Miss

I'm also tempted by a Mazda CX-5 which I think may be better in terms of reliability? I'm going to be driving an extra 200 miles a week, it will need to be reliable.

massistar Tue 17-Jan-17 18:48:46

Watching with interest as I'm undecided between the 3 series estate and the Audi A3 sportback!

inmyheadimthequeen Tue 17-Jan-17 18:52:53

I don't have it any more but I used to have a 3 series estate and absolutely loved it, loved it, loved it. Would have driven it forever if I could - it had to go for job reasons. Tried an X1 as a replacement but didn't like it so moved on, I still miss it. Having said that, I've never driven a Cee'd or a CX-5.

MeganChips Tue 17-Jan-17 19:19:09

The Audi A3 sportback is very nice but a bit out of budget at the moment, I'll be buying about 3 years old.

Ok test drive shortlist:

X1
3 series estate
Audi Q3
Audi A4 estate
Mazda CX-5

massistar Tue 17-Jan-17 22:42:06

I had the A4 Avant estate before my current car and loved driving it.

Molecule Wed 18-Jan-17 07:27:39

I have an X1 2.00 M and like it, can't say I'm totally in love but most of the time it's fine. It's fast, and I guess a "driver's car", responsive and handles well enough for me. I love its parking sensors which show a little schematic drawing of the surroundings on a screen, so it's easy to park. For me it's got plenty of room in the boot, but I'm beyond bulky prams etc, so that's really down to how much you need.

The downsides are not many, but can be irritating. The ride is very hard, don't know if this is because of the M thing making it sportier, but my family reckon it's too hard. The back seats are lower than the front so get a pretty poor view, and although designated for three are only comfortable for two as the centre one doubles as an armrest. Fine on short journeys causes lots of arguments on longer ones. TBH as my dc are now late teens we don't often have them all in the car together so this is not a major issue for me.

My previous car was a 1 series, and the X1 is bigger. If you do go for one make sure it has electric wing mirrors. The 1 series did so when you reversed the passenger side one dipped automatically (if you wanted it to) so you could see the curb/parking lines and it was one of the most useful things I'd had on a car in over 30 years of driving. I assumed all BMWs had it but they don't, and my present one, although a higher spec, doesn't.

Despite my ramblings above I do like it, and would happily have another.

Rainmaker1 Wed 18-Jan-17 15:00:48

Obviously the performance/economy compromise will depend on the engine option you choose. 3 series probably has a better choice of engines.

userformallyknownasuser1475360 Wed 18-Jan-17 15:03:31

Have a bmw 318d. Just put a new clutch in it at 39k miles. Hoping it was the driver before me.

lovelyupnorth Wed 25-Jan-17 21:28:56

Lots of good deals on 3 series at the moment. Wouldn't have one though driven by arse holes.

Rainmaker1 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:46:18

Lol lovely I think your mistaking them for Audis

Rainmaker1 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:46:54

*your're

Rainmaker1 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:47:29

*you're!!! Fucking fat fingers lol

lovelyupnorth Thu 26-Jan-17 09:06:55

Audis as well. Both interesting my fleet manager keeps trying to force a BMW on me. Must think I'm an arse hole.

Rainmaker1 Thu 26-Jan-17 17:36:57

I used to drive my Audi like absolute cunt, less so the BMWs

Hairyhat Thu 26-Jan-17 23:06:18

Hi Megan. I consider myself an expert. I have done extensive research and just bought an X1. I also have a 3 series (old) and can definitely compare the two vehicles. I'm not sure how to private message but I have a lot of (boring) info to impart. DEFINITELY get an X1 as they come out on top in "which car" and "what car" at 3 years old. (Mine is new but I wasn't originally going to get a new one and I have looked at 3 year old X1s - a very established crossover). If you can PM me with any questions you have I'd be very happy to answer and recommend some ways to go about getting the best deal (are you on "car gurus" for example?)

Hairyhat Thu 26-Jan-17 23:17:27

My 320 TD is 12 years old and has had NOTHING go wrong with it since I've owned it (2010) so I am in Lurve with its reliability. I'm in the north and so rural that car snobbery is tricky to execute ...

Hairyhat Thu 26-Jan-17 23:22:48

Oh and "around town" my X1 is almost giving me free miles. It is very economic BUT I have the xdrive, xline, 18d. I'm happy to talk you through the different models to make sue you get the right one for you. Mine is quick AND economic AND has 4WD fir when I need that (not necessary if you're urban)

Catinthecorner Thu 26-Jan-17 23:26:12

I had a 3 series a few years back. I loved that car. Rarely went wrong.

Currently driving a X3 and I like the higher driving position, four wheel drive and oddles of space but I'm somewhere that gets real snow (several feet in winter usually) and I generally have at least one dog plus occasional puppy guests. For just commuting it may be more car than you need.

In contrast to a prior poster I love the hardness of the sport suspension, but I think that boils down to a personal preference.

wideboy26 Mon 13-Feb-17 08:41:27

Become an Audi driver and change the perception! I try to be overly courteous in mine, but it seems that I still have work to do. I have had 2 Audi A3 sportbacks and can vouch for what a great car it is. My wife loved driving them. If you can afford a BMW 3 series, you can afford an A3, although the A3 is smaller.

Catdogcat Mon 13-Feb-17 08:50:17

I have a CX-5 and I love it. Lots of space, enough pull on motorway and comfy (I drive long distances).

My husband has an m3, not an estate but I hate it. It's noisy and always has faults.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now