Help with a car for MIL

(11 Posts)
Sadfacehappyface Sat 31-Dec-16 14:10:01

My lovely MIL is looking to buy a car but hasn't driven for 20 years. We are going to take her out to get some practise but would appreciate some help with what cars would be good for her as we only buy large cars for our family! Things she has asked for; to be able to get her DH in and out easily (wide opening doors?), nothing too big, 4 doors. My DH, being practical, would like it to be economical and reliable. Any suggestions for cars that you have experience of and would recommend would be very appreciated.

PotteringAlong Sat 31-Dec-16 14:11:43

Nissan Note?

PotteringAlong Sat 31-Dec-16 14:12:10

Or you can get 4 door micras.

HelenF350 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:13:06

Hyundai i10

DrWhooves Sat 31-Dec-16 14:13:07

My ford fiesta is very reliable, had it for 6 years with no major problems, just tyres and battery needed replaced.

madcatwoman61 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:13:13

My MIL has a Toyota Yaris automatic. She loves it

DamsonGinIsMyThing Sat 31-Dec-16 14:14:14

I've just bought a skoda citigo and I love it, 5 doors, four seats, 1L engine, £20 tax and good fuel economy. It can also turn on a 5 pence piece.

mailfuckoff Sat 31-Dec-16 14:14:27

Jazz automatic. Very easy to drive, has wide opening doors and good seat height and head space. Really good cars

specialsubject Sat 31-Dec-16 14:15:55

just a thought - may also be worth some professional refresher lessons to get her back into the swing of it. This could also assist in insurance given her no-claims will be long gone.

Sadfacehappyface Sat 31-Dec-16 14:44:03

Some great suggestions thank you, we will look at them all. I suggested a professional refresher course, my DH was resistant because he wants to help her but hadn't considered the insurance implications, we will broach the subject with her.

fabulousathome Mon 09-Jan-17 16:56:01

Have the refresher lessons before you buy the car. How about automatic cars? One less thing to think about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now