Are premium cars worth it?

(8 Posts)
JoJoSM2 Sat 17-Dec-16 09:28:21

So exactly that - do you think that premium makes are worth it? Why? (Eg BMW or Jaguars etc).

I've spent the last 2 weeks test driving a lot of cars and can't seem to make my mind up... I've pretty much narrowed it down to either getting a Mazda or one of the premium ones. The Mazda can super speced - heated leather seats, Bose sound system, Infotainment, cameras, cruise control etc - pretty much all the kit you'd expect from a kitted out premium car.

However, when I compare it like for like with an Audi or BMW, the price of the latter ones is 50% more... In what ways would a premium car be better? Do you think it's worth paying extra?

Ifailed Sat 17-Dec-16 09:30:49

Once you get past seeing a car as a vehicle to transport you and others about, then it's a lot to do with image and fashion, in the same way that clothing is not just seen as a way to keep us comfortable.

OdinsLoveChild Sat 17-Dec-16 09:38:41

We bought the Mazda too. We compared the usual Audi and BMW but found for thousands less you get as much as the others. The Mazda drives beautifully too.

We have even converted a friend from his lifelong 'only buy an Audi' opinion and he now also has a Mazda grin

The Mazda is just as reliable and stylish as the others. If they break down they are cheaper to repair than the others and they don't need to go into a garage to get your headlight bulb changed unlike the others.

If it gives you what you need then buy it. I love mine grin and I won't have any other car now.

ninjapants Sat 17-Dec-16 09:43:19

They're not worth the extra IMO, unless the particular model offers something you really want or image matters a lot to you.
I unfortunately had my car stolen last year, it was a high spec sporty model. I didn't want to replace it with the same car for various reasons so I looked at alternatives including Audi's, BMWs etc. Eventually bought a Skoda because it ticked all the boxes. It looks fab too, I often get comments on it. It's by far the best car I've ever owned, and I've had a fair few!
Decide what you want in a car, what your budget is and find something that fits the bill. No one cares what you drive but you so don't just buy it for the badge

JoJoSM2 Sat 17-Dec-16 09:45:01

Ifailed, I wonder if you've hit the nail on the head - I do view it as transport and would like something comfy and reliable to last me for years... A status symbol type reason doesn't feature on my list lol

JoJoSM2 Sat 17-Dec-16 09:49:32

OdinsLoveChild,

That's hilarious - IMO the top spec Mazda feels more luxury than half the premium cars lol Perhaps I'll just save myself some money - and the difference would be enough for at least 3 years' worth of Waitrose shops...

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Sat 17-Dec-16 09:52:04

They are not worth the extra, spend the money you will save on something more meaningful.

DrDreReturns Sat 17-Dec-16 09:56:01

Not worth the extra at all imo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now