Are you delighted with your car?

(49 Posts)
MollyHuaCha Wed 30-Nov-16 12:47:41

This is a genuine thread, so no adverts please! I am looking to buy a used car, but not more than a year old, expecting to spend £18k - £24k. Needs to carry driver plus 3 tall teens in comfort. And not be enormous as big cars are awkward to park confused. Is anyone delighted with their car and wd like to recommend the make and model?

MozzchopsThirty Wed 30-Nov-16 12:54:21

I have one of those 5 door Mini Cooper hatchback
I love it, plenty of boot space, can easily take 4 adults

GinAndOnIt Wed 30-Nov-16 13:05:50

I find larger cars easier to park as you tend to be higher up and can see better. In fact, I learnt how to park properly about 10 years after learning when I had a bigger car!

I really love Freelanders and would get another in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Tagetes Wed 30-Nov-16 13:08:19

My car is delighted with me. And ecstatic about my OH. We are both excellent drivers so it has a lovely life.

MollyHuaCha Wed 30-Nov-16 13:10:38

Awww... I had a mini in my pre- children life. Happy memories zooming around carefree... I've just googled the Mini Cooper hatchback and I see it is now longer than the much loved one I had years ago. Amazingly, still looks like a mini despite the extra length. But I think I'm looking for something bigger so I can carry huge sports bags and general clobber.

SealSong Wed 30-Nov-16 13:12:50

I have a new leased VW Polo and I love it. All the solid feel of a big car in a small car, economical, great handling and very enjoyable to drive. Would recommend a Polo.

SeaweedSa1ad Wed 30-Nov-16 13:12:56

VW Touran, I'm delighted with it. Seats 5 adults comfortably and 2 extra (small adult / child) in the back if necessary.

Ours is a few years old and has lovely useful auto parking thingy, v handy when parallel parking in the dark and visibility is a bit poor.

SeaweedSa1ad Wed 30-Nov-16 13:14:30

Also auto parking thing will reverse it into a car park space iyswim (rather than parallel parking).

MollyHuaCha Wed 30-Nov-16 13:15:34

Freelander looks great - roomy, powerful, reliable. But also looks like a fuel guzzler... possibly?

MollyHuaCha Wed 30-Nov-16 13:16:50

If you use auto park, do you think you lose the skill of parking yourself? grin

bookbook Wed 30-Nov-16 13:18:15

We have a freelander - no wider and much, much easier to drive than a lot of big cars. Takes loads of luggage. It's our second and would highly recommend. It has been discontinued I think now, so goodness knows what we shall get next time. It's so good in bad weather too.

RockyBird Wed 30-Nov-16 13:19:03

A class Mercedes, new shape and the more toys the better.

Cheap road tax

Plenty of miles to the gallon

bookbook Wed 30-Nov-16 13:19:20

Just x post - we have the diesel - it does about 36 and a bit mph on pottering around - better on longer runs.

GinAndOnIt Wed 30-Nov-16 13:22:24

I was actually really pleasantly surprised with the fuel consumption of the Freelander! DP's Defender on the other hand, is a different story. <narrows eyes>

GinAndOnIt Wed 30-Nov-16 13:22:59

Also agree with PP about the VW Touran as well.

Msqueen33 Wed 30-Nov-16 13:34:50

Would another adult be in the front? Or is it just one plus three teens? I've got a golf. I bloody love it. We've got three kids so use a Mondeo when dh is home but I have gone in the back with two high back boosters.

ShelaghTurner Wed 30-Nov-16 13:36:25

Focus Estate. Adore it. Big boot, nice to drive and roomy inside.

farfarawayfromhome Wed 30-Nov-16 13:36:50

Ford Edge, love it! Chunky, safe, sleek, roomy....brilliant car.

Toffeelatteplease Wed 30-Nov-16 13:39:16

Oh you want a skoda roomster!!

Seating space is awesome and given its bearly any longer than a Honda jazz the load space is fantastic. It's a tardis

Petrol consumption is pretty good too.

The only thing that isn't good about it are the little bobble things that attached the parcel shelf to the back door.

Other than that it's an awesome car!!

countrybump Wed 30-Nov-16 13:40:43

I love my VW Passat. I have an estate which has loads of boot space. It does everything I need of it, is really comfortable to drive, but at the same time I don't feel precious about it, which means I am happy to drive it anywhere, park it anywhere and carry anything and anyone. I also use it to tow. Basically, it's a work horse!

minipie Wed 30-Nov-16 13:42:42

Love our VW Golf Gti. Great fun to drive and family friendly. Small car to park but feels spacious inside due to big windows and not much in the way of bulky plasticky bits (unlike many cars eg the new Mini...). Boot space is pretty good for a small car, though admittedly not as good as with a bigger car.

If the teens will be driving it I'd get a normal Golf rather than a Gti though!

Beware, 4x4s often don't have great boot space - check.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 30-Nov-16 13:43:22

Hyundai i10. Love it. Very cheap to run

BikeRunSki Wed 30-Nov-16 13:45:36

Golf estate.
Small big car/big small car.
Love it.
Often used to cart about bikes and lots of Cubs.

MollyHuaCha Wed 30-Nov-16 14:10:51

So many cars... I'm googling all the ones I don't already know. Thank you guys - your ideas and comments are much appreciated 🚗

Bythebeach Wed 30-Nov-16 14:21:10

VW Touran. Love it. But my DS are 4, 8, 11 so not sure about teens. Bizarrely DH has recently got a VW Passat. It is a nasty corporate looking thing BUT huge inside-tonnes of leg and width room in back-more than touran, amazingly fuel efficient and v cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now