Renewing car insurance when unsure if you will be claimed against

(2 Posts)
wonderstuff100 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:22:20

Hi,

I scrapped a car this morning and did some superficial damage. I left a note with contact details

Thing is, I was due to renew my car insurance this morning (it expires on 19/12) as found a good deal but now not sure as what to do about NCB.

Option A: I just put down I haven't had an accident (as am not sure if the other driver will want to claim)

Option B: I say I have had an accident and it has effected my NCB. This would be me presuming they would want to claim. But then, what happens if they don't? Will the insurance company want details of this claim against me?

Thanks in advance.

DillDongMerrilyOnHigh Mon 28-Nov-16 10:40:36

You must tell them you may have a pending claim. You should contact your current insurer and they will tell you where you stand iro your NCB. They will usually leave the incident open for 6 mths and close off as 'no claim made' if no one claims against you in that period.

Once you have spoken to your current insurer I would call the new company you're thinking of taking out cover through to get a quote rather than doing it online. Once you explain they will guide you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now