Going from "premium" brand?

(44 Posts)
carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 09:37:38

I need to change my car soon, I've been driving my Audi A4 estate for 8 years, and it's getting to the point where repairs are getting pricier. My DH also drives an Audi (an A5 for reference), and is quite keen for us to replace the A4 with another, but I think I'd like a bit of a change.

We looked at the Audi Q3 at the weekend, but it's going to be too small for us (2 children age 11 & 9, likely to grow into enormous teens, as DH and I are both tall), the Q5 is really more than we'd like to spend (we're thinking of nearly new cars - ex demos probably rather than buying from new).

We also looked at there Kia Sportage, which came with loads of twiddly bits as standard, and pricing is significantly less than Audi, but it felt just a little bit plasticky inside.

I think we'll also look at Volvo (XC60), but I'm slightly nervous about moving away from the premium brands - surely there's a reason they're premium? What have people's experiences been if they've done this, and also, any recommendations for excellent, comfy, high-specced medium sized SUVs?

0hCrepe Mon 03-Oct-16 09:45:16

Volvo is premium isn't it? I would love a Volvo XC60/90 if I could. I know people who love them.

carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 09:48:18

Sorry yes, Volvo is still premium, it's the Kia/Hyundai/Mazda thing I'm unsure about.

carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 09:49:10

Also, good to know of recommendation for the Volvo - my friend used to have an XC90 which he then changed for a Volvo estate, so it's reassuring that he's stuck with the same brand IYSWIM?

Herschellmum Mon 03-Oct-16 09:53:58

How about staying within the same group? Audi is form the vw group, and they are all German quality cars, so vw, seat? They are less in money than Audi but same quality, especially vw.

I am not a fan of Kia or lower end brands, however, if your initial purchase is significantly less, then you can probably afford new and on a maintenance contract so you have no worries and can change when the car gets to an age than things need done on it. I think that's often what people with those type of brands do.

Ilovewillow Mon 03-Oct-16 09:55:41

I can't tell you about a change in premium brands but I have a Volvo XC90 and love it! It feels luxurious and it's a real work horse - super easy to convert 5 to 7 seats. My little ones are still in car seats and there is plenty of room. Have also had BMW, Audi and Mercedes. I've had cheaper brands in years gone by and I think performance is often good but it is the extras which are either missing or not quite as good!

welshweasel Mon 03-Oct-16 10:00:14

I moved from Audi, regretted it and now have a q3. Actually I've done it twice and regretted it twice. You'd think I'd have learned from my mistakes!

Eroica Mon 03-Oct-16 10:00:43

I am in similar situation, and just dithering so much, as the quality just isn't the same.
I'm just sick of paying the ongoing maintenance, servicing costs of Mercedes-Benz though.
Really need to make that leap, and just suck it up.
I'm thinking of Ford, purely for the heated front windscreen (Winter is coming! And I never bother using the garage overnight) and because it's the nearest dealership, thinking of services. blush

Only1scoop Mon 03-Oct-16 10:02:18

I've had BMW's for years, last one an X3 had it for 7 years, I've just had a Honda CRV and love it. Didn't think I would though.

welshweasel Mon 03-Oct-16 10:02:31

It also depends on how how pay for your cars. If you do PCP if can often work out cheaper to drive a premium make. I looked at the Hyundai Tucson and they wanted £100 more a month for a mid spec model than I pay for a top end Q3, due to the difference in retained value after 3/4 years.

carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 10:05:12

See here's the thing - the Kia comes with a 7 year warranty from new (non-diminishing, so covers everything except normal wear and tear. Would want to triple check the small print on this!), a good servicing deal, leather interior as standard, for the mark I want, heated seats front and rear, heated windscreen, front and back sensors, rear camera for parking etc etc etc. As standard. For me to get all that in Audi would be prohibitively expensive. But will the Kia start to fail sooner? How can they offer all of this for so much less than the premium brands? What makes Audi so much better than Kia (besides the obvious Audi symbol chocolate topping on the hot chocolate they gave to DS).

Herschellmum, we'd looked at a Tiguan when looking at the A4 and have written it off as too small (and the Toureg too big), but then I was reading something last night which indicated it had a huge boot, so I may go back for another look (or just research the specs online would be easier...).

Ilovewillow, glad to hear of the XC90 love!

QuestionableMouse Mon 03-Oct-16 10:06:41

Sit your bump in a Skoda. Part of the VAG group, just like Audi. Not stupidly expensive, but very nice reliable cars.

SleepFreeZone Mon 03-Oct-16 10:07:13

My partner has the Volvo XC60 and loves it. He is planning to update it to the XC90 when he has the funds. We looked st it a couple of weeks ago and it is extremely smart inside.

Only1scoop Mon 03-Oct-16 10:07:59

Also looked at Hyundai and Kia Sportage as DP very attracted by the warranty, but I found them plasticky.
The boots always the first thing I look at smile

tristerflexu Mon 03-Oct-16 10:08:17

I went from an XC90 to a Sportage and its FABULOUS. It's a dream to drive, seriously nippy, incredibly comfortable and totally reliable. It's also IMO a great looking car, more spacious than the Q3 by far. I really want an Evoque next but if I don't then I'll just replace the Sportage with another one.

carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 10:09:02

Oops sorry, more replies!

So financing - we'll buy outright as we tend to keep the cars for 7-9 years on average, but not from new, hopefully it'll be within 1 year old.

Welshweasel, interesting that you regretted it - what did you swap to and what were the bad differences?

Eroica, I think there are other brands doing heated windscreens now...but I can see the convenience factor being a big draw, plus the people I know with Fords LOVE them.

Only1Scoop, my brother really rates the CR-V, he's had them forever, and they run and run and run (he's also a big car nut, and takes extra special care of his cars). Again we looked at one when we were buying the A4, I quite liked it, but DH thought the trim felty a bit plasticky.

carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 10:09:26

Sorry, hit enter too soon.I think I might go back to Honda though for another look.

jwww Mon 03-Oct-16 10:10:56

Before you decide what to buy you need to decide what you want from a car and why you want to change it sounds like for you it's age of your car and saving money on repair bills.

Any car is going to have high repair bills once it gets older. The best way to stop this is to get a car on finance and change it every 3 years, that way you don't have to worry about MOT and most repairs if any are needed will be covered by the warranty (Kia warranty may actually last as long as. 7 years but I may be wrong).

You wouldn't spend £700 on a new phone that's worth £200 in a couple years, you pay monthly and change it at the end of your contract, why wouldn't you do the same with a car?

A higher spec Kia is probably going to be to most comparable to your Audi and to VW. Although they may feel a little more plasticy the manufacture quality is the same it's just the aesthetic materials used more than anything.
Either way mention getting a service plan with the salesman as it may be something they can offer discounted or as part of a deal.

carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 10:12:40

Lordy even more replies!!

QuestionableMouse, DH would never try a Skoda. Never. We did have one as a holiday car this summer, and it was fine. Not sure it would come with the twiddly bits I like though?

SleepFreeZone, good to hear. I think the XC90 is just too big for me - my parking situation at work means I can't go for the largest car - even my A4 is longer than the spaces available.

Twisterflexu great review, glad you're so pleased, that's reassuring to hear.

carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 10:16:11

jwww, thanks for that. We really don't want to go down the financing route, we've not done it for years now. In fact DH even suggested keeping the A4 and buying a 3rd (small) car, but I think I've talked him out of it.

And actually, although I do currently have a new iPhone, I don't upgrade immediately, and when I do finally upgrade, I've either given the phone to family (my daughter has my last one, and my Mum the one before that) or sell it. We've had cars on finance before and don't really like the monthly commitment.

Only1scoop Mon 03-Oct-16 10:18:08

We had never had a Honda although friend has had Crv for years <like your db> and always rated it.
I know it sounds silly, but I always look for that sturdy solid clunk when you shut the doors, boot etc. I found many other makes have almost a tinny feel <dad has a Quashqui and always notice this>. I find the Crv has a good solid feel to it in this respect and the safety stuff reads excellent. I don't find the trim plasticky, although not as nice as Previous cars....
And of course it has a massive boot

SleepFreeZone Mon 03-Oct-16 10:18:27

I really like the old shape Sportage, it's a real shame they changed the front of it as I think it's an ugly beast now.

tristerflexu Mon 03-Oct-16 10:18:56

My Kia is the fully spec'd one and it really does have all the knobs you need. I changed as the XC90 was just too big for me and I felt that the XC60 just looked a bit tired. We also looked at the Q3 which was too small, Q5 which was quite expensive even secondhand, the CRV but I didn't like the current style, the Mercedes GLA which was too low, the BMW X3 and X1 which didn't drive very well, the Mini Countryman which was lovely but the boot was too small. Also looked at the Tiguan also too small. I don't like Fords so didn't consider and felt the Qashqai was too dull.

carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 10:19:04

Oh and good tip about getting the salesman to do a deal on the servicing.

In terms of what I want from a car: being replaced because it's getting older and will start getting expensive, we've had it for 8 years and I'm ready for a change. Looking for reliability, comfort, luxury, and a smooth ride, with sufficient legroom in the back for growing enormous children, and plenty of boot space for various detritus as and when required.

Fancy being a bit higher up as live rurally and roads are liable to flooding throughout winter which has started causing issues over the last couple of years with only SUVs being high enough to safely get through the puddles, otherwise village can get cut off.

carrie74 Mon 03-Oct-16 10:20:55

Twisterflexu, that is a very comprehensive list and reflects EXACTLY what I was thinking, so it's good to have a run down of how you'd got to your decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now