Hit up the backside, the cons of settling without going through insurers?

(5 Posts)
Fostec1 Tue 02-Aug-16 18:22:57

Was hit up the backside today by someone (lovely guy actually).

Quotes for the repairs are coming in at about £2500. He wants to pay independently of going through the insurance company. I have checked him and he is insured.

I am feeling very nervous about this - what if the repairs come to more than the amount agreed, what do I do about a courtesy car, am I ultimately going to be left up the creek without a car as it were?!

Has anyone had any experience of this and did you manage to sort it out happily? Also I fear doing it this way will cause more faffing for me organising things whilst he gets an easy ride. TIA

Imnotaslimjim Tue 02-Aug-16 18:39:32

I wouldn't do it, for all the reasons you've stated. If you go through the insurance you'll likely get a courtesy car and it will all be dealt with for you.

AmyBecker Wed 10-Aug-16 14:35:46

Regardless I would always do it through your insurance, may seem a nice guy but bad things happen. At least he will learn from it.

Shouldn't put yourself out for his mistake.

P1nkP0ppy Wed 10-Aug-16 14:40:56

Having recently had the same time happen to me you must go through your insurance company.
If he changes his mind about paying up front you'll be stuffed.

AmyBecker Wed 10-Aug-16 16:19:51

Completely agree! My sister's works in a solicitors and she hears so many of these stories about people not going through insurance and she can't help them sadly. It's harsh but it is the best thing to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now