Volvo XC90 or XC60?

(8 Posts)
LostAtTheFair Sun 03-Jul-16 22:16:58

We are trying to decide between a 2016 (lightly used) XC60 and a 2014 XC90 (so not the new model). While the 7 seats of the XC90 is a nice feature, it's not essential to us provided that we can fit 3 car seats across in the XC60 (which I've heard that we can, but any views on this would be appreciated).

The clincher for us will be boot space. Is the XC90 boot lots bigger than the XC60 boot? My heart wants the XC60 as its such a nice looking car but my head is saying get the older XC90 in case the XC60 proves too small for family holidays in a few years.

AveEldon Sun 03-Jul-16 22:27:31

A lot depends on your car seats
We couldn't fit 3 across the back of the XC60 or the XC90
The only way it worked for us was using the in built booster seat of the XC90 (I don't recall if the XC60 has this option)

SansaClegane Sun 03-Jul-16 22:30:05

If you have three kids, I think the XC60 is too small. I know there are people who claim they can fit three car seats across the back of a golf, but I don't know if that's realistically achievable! confused Something to remember about crossovers is that they are much bigger on the outside than they are on the inside.

I'd test drive both with all your equipment (seats and children, ha ha) and see how it feels!

EvangelineP Sun 03-Jul-16 22:36:03

Go for the XC90. The kids will only get bigger and you will need to transport friends and sports gear etc. No way I'd get an xc60 with 3 kids.

HerRoyalNotness Sun 03-Jul-16 22:36:41

We have the xc60 and it would be very tight for 3 car seats. You'd have to get slimline ones I imagine. We've been camping in it, and it was tight. All the foot wells had to be stuffed with things. We have 2 DC.

With 3 kids, id get the xc90. We'd probably go for that if we're in a position for a new car. You can find out the trunk volume online to see if there is a difference in size.

HerRoyalNotness Sun 03-Jul-16 22:40:30

2012 models say the xc90 has an extra 20 cu ft of storage over the 60

thisusernameisnotavailable Sun 03-Jul-16 23:10:42

As a car to drive I'd say the '60 but as a family loadluggar the '90 will suit your needs longer term. You could always get a roof box or two for luggage space and kids bike can be transported on a tow bar mounted bike rack rather than the roof if you prefer the '60.

I used to work in the sales dept of a Volvo dealership so I used to drive both on a regular basis. If you get the '90 get it chipped with a Polestar upgrade, will improve performance as otherwise they're a bit sluggish.

LostAtTheFair Sun 03-Jul-16 23:32:37

Wow - lots of responses. Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now