URGENT - Help me chose a car quick

(23 Posts)
inarmsofanangel Mon 06-Jun-16 09:41:45

Ok, my car broke down last week and left us stranded. I moved to a new area not long ago and I don't really have anyone to advise me.
I want to get an RAC check done if I chose something.
I need an automatic

I do do some longish journeys (somerset - London 2x month) Most other is local, not every day.

Ok , So I have chosen in my list

A Saab Vector 9.3 08 plate,petrol engine (turbo) 77,000 miles but only 32 mpg so not very economical on petrol. 2 owners

A Saab Vector 9.3, 08 plate Diesel engine (turbo) 100.000 miles, but very economical gd service hist and 2 owners

A VW Passatt 07 plate, 80,000 miles Deisel (turbo) Very economical, service hist but doesn't say how many owners (and guy wasn't sure on phone)

Bearing in mind the auto transmission, would 100,000 be pushing it on miles? I'm torn between milage and economy.

Help me please!!

inarmsofanangel Mon 06-Jun-16 09:43:01

There is also a lovely looking VOLVO V50 estate at 128.000 miles.

Togaparties Mon 06-Jun-16 12:31:30

The petrols will be more reliable, an economical diesel is useless if it keeps throwing up big bills!

Rainbowshine Mon 06-Jun-16 12:42:07

Has the turbo been replaced on the Saab Diesel? DH's blew up at about 100k mileage and was £££ to fix.

Whisky2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 12:46:29

Well the say 10k miles per year is good rule of thumb for buying.

Petrol you will forever be fuelling up.

I'd prob go for the Passatt.

boobyooby Mon 06-Jun-16 12:47:44

I'd choose the Passat out of those choices flowers

boobyooby Mon 06-Jun-16 12:48:46

V5 will show number of previous owners so I'd call back and ask him to check

StuffandBother Mon 06-Jun-16 12:50:09

I've had 2 Passats, the turbo went on the diesel estate at about 100k miles and cost many many ££ to repair, I had a 55 plate saloon which I loved but kept crashing it- the visibility was shocking!! my driving however is great!! wink

BikeRunSki Mon 06-Jun-16 12:53:14

I'd probably go with the Passat, simply because I m familiar with VW diesels. We had a (petrol) Polo that DH did 120K miles in, the sold to his boss who did another 60K miles in it before wrapping it around a tree in the Highlands (and walking away unscathed).

inarmsofanangel Mon 06-Jun-16 14:15:32

Thank you everyone. Well I dived in and got someone to out to see the Saab diesel. I waiting for the report.
He did say air con was not working and there had been a dent in the bumper which had been sprayed over. He didn't think this was anything major over the phone but I'll wait for it written down.
I really think the petrol version will be too costly to run really.
I sheepishly went to ask one of my neighbours to come and help me (he's a mechanic and did a bit of work of my now dead car) and he said he'd come and check them out.

So I am left with the passat or the volvo which is stretching it.

I do love the look of those Saabs though sad

Whisky2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:21:13

head vs heart.

inarmsofanangel Mon 06-Jun-16 14:21:59

Does the Passatt have flat seats at the back or do they come up/round iyswim?
On my h's BMW (separated, long distance, can't use!) It is quiet difficult to get car seats in the back as the seats come of come up at the ends.

I did manage to fit 3 in my pug 206 though before it died! smile

inarmsofanangel Mon 06-Jun-16 14:24:41

Yes Whiskey, I'm probably just trying to compete with the BMW smile and make a statement that I'm better than a dying pug!

Pradaqueen Mon 06-Jun-16 14:35:49

OP I am in the car industry. I would advise to not choose a Saab as parts will become / are increasingly difficult to get hold of. Is there any chance you could use the money you would spend as a deposit on a PCP for a small fuel efficient new car? That way you'll save money on service costs as intervals are longer on modern cars and it'll be under manufacturer'so warranty. Good luck choosing.

Whisky2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:41:46

Could you get a car lease instead of buying 2nd hand? You can take them for 3 years and hand back after 3 years?

inarmsofanangel Mon 06-Jun-16 23:50:36

I don't think at the moment Whiskey as not working full time (studying) and not enough income ect..I've had to ask my mum to help -even though I'm 36 this month--
Recently separated and left with not much atm until a divorce.
Anyway....

I've just done vehicle checks on Autotrader. Saab comes back all clean but Passatt has finance recorded. Does this actually mean definately it is outstanding or might it have been paid off if still recorded? (conditional sale?)
I've emailed the finance company to ask them.
Shame as I really was rethinking here big time. sad

inarmsofanangel Mon 06-Jun-16 23:52:44

Thanks for your imput Pradaqueen. As above, I've not really checked it out but I guess it would be tricky for me.

Pradaqueen Tue 07-Jun-16 09:32:25

Hiya in a private sale steer clear of anything with finance. In your current position I really would consider a smaller car -( petrol included as cheaper per gallon at the pump and diesel only makes sense at higher mileage) and look at cars cheap to repair - Ford/ Vauxhall etc. the older VW and definitely Saab will cost an arm and a leg to repair if anything goes wrong (and it will on that age car with that mileage). When you've finished studying you can revaluate your options. Ir maybe your mum can guarantee your finance given where you are at? Also make sure you take out AA or RAC just in case.....

So when you are looking at the car check that the service history recorded mileage matches the total mileage on the odometer. Check the VIN on the V5 (chassis no) matches the two (one windscreen usually) plus the one on the stamped chassis plate and if there is a service book, that too. Steer clear of any with an anomaly. There is no reason on earth they don't match. Look at the wear on the steering wheel and pedals and seats. Is it consistent with 40k or 140k? Don't buy anything where the V5 is not the same name as the vendor and if there is a company name, get a letter of authority to sell on headed company paper before you part with any cash. Good luck, don't get carried away in the heat of the moment and you'll be fine!

inarmsofanangel Tue 07-Jun-16 10:54:18

Thank you Prada, I did call the finance company this morning and asked if anything was outstanding. They said no, it was all settled and they would confirm that.
Should I still steer clear? I am seriously reconsidering. In the same lot they have a Honda Prius which is not my style, nor do I like the look of it but what do you think? It has 80,000 and a 06 plate. It would be very fuel efficient I guess and road tax £20 or less.

inarmsofanangel Tue 07-Jun-16 10:55:44

I've now asked one of my neighbours to come with me and he said he would take me this AM smile (he is a former mechanic)

Pradaqueen Tue 07-Jun-16 11:07:35

Hi if the finance company confirms in writing with the chassis and reg numbers all should be ok (check the agreement numbers match on the HPI and the clearance letter). Toyota make the Prius (not Honda) but as this has expensive technology I would really avoid this too. Until your financial situation improves, I really would try and look at something really mundane like a Ford Focus. Appreciate it might not be want you want to hear, but seriously on the other cars you are looking at just one major item going wrong could be disastrous. Good luck hunting today!

inarmsofanangel Tue 07-Jun-16 11:26:56

Thanks Prada, Yes, sorry Toyota - Good advice, Thank you. I need to get my manual test done don't I? smile I wanted to pass quickly a few years ago (I was heavily pregnant with no3 and so went for auto)
I am pretty limited here as I don't have transport and not near a city. (quite a rural area) so there are few autos about and they seem very over priced. I looked again last night in city areas and you seem to get much more for your money. I'm gutted I can't get anywhere to have a good look.

Pradaqueen Tue 07-Jun-16 11:35:26

Could you hire a car for a couple of days to get into the city? Enterprise drop off to you wherever you are. As you say you are at a disadvantage looking at an auto but there are plenty of small auto cars too. Don't give up smile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now