First Car.

(6 Posts)
TrafficJunkie Sun 24-Apr-16 22:17:13

I'm learning to drive. I will be passed by the summer, and I have a large family. There are 4 kids and me.
I need a car that can fit us all in but ideally with a spare seat for a friend.

I have no idea what to buy.
It needs to be reliable as I can't have tonnes of cash stashed for parts - although I will have a bit put by for emergencies.
I don't want them all squashed in either - so something fairly roomy but not enormous as I will be a new driver.
Which brings me to the next point: insurance! It's going to be huge because I am new so I don't want to insure something ridiculous.

My budget will be £1000. It's probably not much. I don't want to get finance as it's just too scary and you pay more as a new driver. Plus I have terrible credit.
I've been warned off Renault and Vauxhalls for unreliability.
Any advice? smile

SimpleSimonThePieMan Mon 25-Apr-16 11:53:16

A £1000 car is going to be a gamble without a doubt. I'd be looking at something Japanese, definitely avoid French!

TrafficJunkie Mon 25-Apr-16 14:12:55

I was wondering about Honda. They are Japanese aren't they?

SimpleSimonThePieMan Mon 25-Apr-16 16:27:47

Yep, generally won't go wrong with a Honda, your problem might be getting something with 6+ seats though.

ThereIsIron Mon 25-Apr-16 16:39:17

You'll certainly be able to get a 6-7 seater for under £1000. Looking at upwards of a 12-13 year old vehicle though. Despite what you've been advised you'll be looking at Vauxhall Zafira, Renault Scenic/Grand Scenic, Toyota Verso, Ford Galaxy, etc.

Still a very low budget for what will be a big car. Be careful.

TrafficJunkie Mon 25-Apr-16 19:08:54

Thanks for the advice. I wish I could do more, but I just can't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now