Car MOT

(10 Posts)
jodie539 Sun 20-Mar-16 10:01:16

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could help I've just put my car in for an MOT I have a Renault Scenic 04 plate, the garage has failed it on
nearside front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

offside front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

offside front Windscreen wiper not operating automatically when switched on (8.2.1b)

rear Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick Both sides inner (3.5.1g)

offside front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)

I have to wait a few days for a price :/ does anyone know roughly how much this is going to cost me ? Any help would be much appreciated .
Thanks in advance .

SimpleSimonThePieMan Sun 20-Mar-16 12:08:46

First of all I'm happy to help but must ask have you been driving your children around in this car? Surely you must've been aware of the washer, wiper and headlight bulb? Car ownership also includes the responsibility to keep it roadworthy.

As for the repairs - have you filled the washers up? Worst case is likely a washer pump - maybe £40 for the part plus labour. Wiper problem sounds like a linkage issue - not sure on cost but that is probably the most expensive issue. Brake pads probably £30 plus an hours labour. Headlight is probably a bulb - £5 plus labour but some of these Renaults can be a bit of a fucker.

jodie539 Sun 20-Mar-16 17:19:19

No I haven't as I only use it to get to and from work this is my mot
Reason(s) for failure

nearside front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

offside front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

offside front Windscreen wiper not operating automatically when switched on (8.2.1b)

rear Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick Both sides inner (3.5.1g)

offside front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)

Advisory notice item(s)

rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin Both sides outer (3.5.1g)

nearside rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

offside front Inner steering tie arm slight play ball joint

jodie539 Sun 20-Mar-16 17:20:45

Also the wiper issue I've been told by the garage that it's the wiper linkage which I've seen online for around £10

LIZS Sun 20-Mar-16 17:24:42

The most expensive will be the brake pads and worth doing both sides. Iirc we needed a new washer pump at some stage on a Renault and it was a pita - labour rather than parts.

SimpleSimonThePieMan Sun 20-Mar-16 18:37:50

LIZS the brake pads are cheap and easy, and yes no one would replace pads on just on side, highly dangerous!

jodie539 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:48:04

Thanks , I am expecting the bill to be around £200 all in all if any cheaper then it's a bonus

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 20-Mar-16 18:48:06

"nearside front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
offside front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)"

As someone said have you checked the level in the washer bottle

"offside front Windscreen wiper not operating automatically when switched on (8.2.1b)"

£30 ish including motor

"rear Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick Both sides inner (3.5.1g)"
£17 - 30 possibly cheaper Per pair

"offside front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)"

bulb £6 ish

all plus labour and VAT

jodie539 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:50:33

I have checked liquid level and even topped it up so it's definetly not empty or leaking from anywhere when I try to use them I can hear the motors running just nothing comes outconfused

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 20-Mar-16 19:02:15

it could be a blocked filter (some washer bottles have rubber filters at the bottom)
swollen pipes
as the pumps motors are running its unlikely to be the pump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now