Does anyone else have....

(9 Posts)
Gileswithachainsaw Fri 11-Mar-16 11:44:17

headlights that aren't that bright?

others seem dazzling nut mine never really seem that bright. I'm fact in daylight it's hard to tell if they are even on.

is this normal for some cars?

do I need new bulbs?

have I missed a dial or button somewhere that can alter the intensity?

zombiesarecoming Fri 11-Mar-16 11:59:53

Can sometimes be a thin layer of road grime or dirt on the lenses which isn't easy to spot but will be very apparent if you wipe the headlight glass and the cloth or rag goes very mucky as you do so

InvictusVersinium Fri 11-Mar-16 12:04:58

Well that sounds like one big fat euphemism, OP

Sorry I'm so juvenile.

Do you have a dial that regulates the tilt of your headlamps? If they are pointing down they will be noticeably less bright.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 11-Mar-16 12:08:47

I will wipe the lenses.

I do have a dial that alters the tilt. they still seem fairly dim whatever the number is on.

I mean the bulbs are working, indicators are bright.

InvictusVersinium Fri 11-Mar-16 12:16:30

Do oncoming drivers flash you if they are on bright (or high beam)?

I had this problem years ago with a car and just ended up getting new bulbs. I don't know if I'd been given bad bulbs or wrong bulbs but it wasn't safe driving at night.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 11-Mar-16 12:18:32

the high beam seems pretty bright. I've been flashed before although I don't think.they are as bright as some.

I think i will try new bulbs then just wanted to check. I wasn't being thick

zombiesarecoming Fri 11-Mar-16 12:44:26

Type of bulb will be more important than anything

Light has a colour temperature range with warmer looking lights being more yellow and colder looking lights being more white

You could have 2 identical bulbs in wattage and brightness on paper but with differing colour temps one will appear much brighter than the other in use, it will largely depend upon what is available in the bulb type your car takes

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 11-Mar-16 12:48:06

thanks zombie

I will make a note of the kind of bulb. didn't realise there would be different ones. figured they'd all be same kind just different brightness blush

zombiesarecoming Fri 11-Mar-16 14:03:13

There is a maximum allowed wattage I think for head light bulbs of around 60 watts main beam and 55 watts dip so bulb manufacturers get them brighter with different elements and gasses in the bulb

Some thing like a xenon bulb should be brighter than a standard bulb but also much more expensive

I normally find at this time of year just keeping the lenses clean makes a big enough difference

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now