Views/opinions on the best 7 seater car?

(24 Posts)
makingmiracles Wed 03-Feb-16 11:42:40

Got to upgrade to a 7 seater soon as expecting another baby.

have been looking at the vw touran, has anyone got/had...any good?

Got just under 4K saved, but hope to be able to get the car, roof rails, roof box, new sat nav and car cams within that money too, still saving and got about 4 months in which to find so may have closer to 5k by then.

Hoping to get something with under 40k miles on it as I do about 500-600miles a week doing the school run and need it to last a few years!

V Reluctant to buy anything Vauxhall amidst the fire scandal but open to other brands, any recommendations?

Squashybanana Wed 03-Feb-16 11:44:55

We have a Ford S Max. Chose it as it drives like a car (doesn't 'feel' big unlike the Ford Galaxy) and has some boot space even with back seats up. Didn't like the 7 seaters where the back row were 'occasional use' which I think the Touran might be. The ford felt a bit more solid than the Zafira.

Squashybanana Wed 03-Feb-16 11:47:20

If you only need 6 seat though we LOVED our old Honda FRV. They stopped making them in 2009 but there are a few still around. 2 rows of 3 seats, ideal when your kids are young and you don't like the idea of a small kid way back in the back out of your reach. Also quite a decent boot. Our kids are older now so 3 rows no longer a problem but the FRV was a life saver for us when they were little.

makingmiracles Wed 03-Feb-16 11:55:18

I think it would have to be a 7 seater rather than 6 as there will be 6 of us and I would find it useful to have a spare seat for occasions where one might have a friend over etc. No an ideal world I'd go for the transporter but that's a pipe dream way out of my budget!

AmyBecker Wed 03-Feb-16 16:04:48

Had a quick look around and personally I think the likes of Citroen Grand C4 Picasso MPV, Ford Galaxy or SEAT Alhambra are the best options but I'm not sure you can get one used for the price your looking for unless your lucky!

Plus if you're looking for something smaller than these above the Kia Carens MPV is a decent size and it's pretty practical inside.

makingmiracles Wed 03-Feb-16 20:18:45

Bumping for the evening crew

iwannadancewithsomebody Wed 03-Feb-16 20:24:17

I have a Citroen c4 grand Picasso. I love it. Very roomy and all the mod cons, it's the exclusive model.

The only downside is the hydraulic suspension has had to be replaced but give Citroen their dues they fixed it under warranty or rather the watchdog scandal. You will find more info online re that.

Think you can pick them up for around £6000 second hand

IMurderedStampyLongnose Wed 03-Feb-16 20:24:57

Well I have a ten year old ford galaxy with 100.000 miles on the clock,and it's been great.Only now is it dying but it's been driven to death.i am just about to replace it and feeling really sad about it😢

ThornyBird Wed 03-Feb-16 20:30:35

We ran a Ford Galaxy into the ground (dh does 500-650 miles a week) and are currently doing the same to a Renault Espace.

The Galaxy was far better in every way and I would have another in a shot. Our DC are 14-6yrs so the legroom/head height in the very back row does matter now more than when we had 8-0yrs which is why we wouldn't go for an S-Max.

Sidge Wed 03-Feb-16 20:31:13

Ford S-Max. Has 3 proper seats in the middle row unlike many 7 seaters. I've had 2 and absolutely loved them.

I test drove a Touran and didn't like it at all - it also felt very plasticky and sluggish. I also test drove the Carens and it's small.

I also had a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso. It was OK but didn't drive as well as the S-Max. Also Citroen reliability is shocking.

tilder Wed 03-Feb-16 20:31:50

Some people carriers struggle to fit 3 car seats in the middle row (I think the touran? ). I would check to see.

Also would question the boot size of smaller people carriers with all the seats up. S max am thinking of had no boot when all the seats were up.

Try to get one where the back row pops up and down not one where you remove them from the car.

Plus agree with the pp. If you can get a decent low mileage people carrier for £5k I would be very surprised.

And that is one hell of a school run!

Congratulations on the baby.

WhamBamSpam Wed 03-Feb-16 20:41:49

I just bought a touran! Love it. The boot is a little small when all 7 seats are up and there are only 2 isofix (I think) but only 1 of mine uses an isofix erf seat so I'm ok with that. The back and middle rows pop up and down. You can take them all out too. The middle row has three full size seats. I had two Hbb and an erf in the middle row plus two Hbb in the back row yesterday.

It's lovely and roomy. I'm delighted with it. I love the reliability of a VW.

Squashybanana Thu 04-Feb-16 12:37:17

S max does have a boot when all 7 seats are up. Not a huge one but deep enough for my work briefcase to be on the floor so I guess at least 12 inches deep.

amyboo Fri 05-Feb-16 13:59:33

We have a Peugeot 5008 and it's great. 3 individual isofix seats on 2nd row plus 2 full size seats that can be pulled up in the boot. We can still fit our Maclaren buggy in the boot when the boot seats are in use. I had to play around with car seats a but to get them to fit, as I found we couldn't fit two Britax Evolva seats next to each other. We currently have a Britax Adventure for DS age 6, a Britax Evolva for DS age 3 and a rear-facing Britax seat for DD age 4 months.

makingmiracles Fri 05-Feb-16 17:38:34

I'm hopeful I can get it for between 5-6k at decent low mileage, a few years ago I bought a 4yr old mpv with 22k on the clock for just under 4K.
I never buy from dealers/dealerships as partner has had loads of probs buying cars from dealers and the warranties they give are often not worth anything as they have sooo many exclusions.

I'm hoping I'll find one from a private seller and I'm not one to mind about traveling so location is not a problem-in my part of the country cars seem a lot more pricey than up country so I'm expecting to have to travel to get it!

In regards to the sharan-did they stop making these? as the only ones I've seen are several years old now, most on eBay are 5-8yrs old with high milage!

makingmiracles Fri 05-Feb-16 17:40:25

Oh, the car seat issue shouldn't be too bad,I've only got 2 in boosters, one without and new baby will be in a big Britax seat when it arrives

wizzywig Fri 05-Feb-16 17:46:00

Toyota verso!

GloriousSlug Sat 06-Feb-16 13:21:46

I was going to come on and say not the Toyota Verso!

When the two back seats are up there is absolutely no boot space. It is a great car other than that and I love mine but there's no boot space when all of the seats are up which is a pain!

NorthernLurker Sun 07-Feb-16 15:22:40

I am just waiting on delivery of a Citroen c4 grand Picasso to replace our Touran which is nearly 12, has done 103,000 miles and is still doing very well. I wouldn't be going for a citroen if I was buying it but instead am leasing it through work so will be brand new and all servicing paid. I think the touran is very good value but with 6 of you I think you will find it a hassle getting in and out. You might be better with something like a seat Alhambra? Or Kia do something big and cheap I think?

WanderingTrolley1 Sun 07-Feb-16 15:26:10

Ford S-Max.

MiaowTheCat Thu 18-Feb-16 15:40:57

Zafira has bog all boot space for a pushchair with the back seats up - wouldn't recommend that unless you're only going to very very occasionally be needing the rear sears (which is what DH has his for - the odd shared lift down to soft play and the like).

Plus you get incidents like gobshite DD1 loudly announcing to nursery how "Christmas was awesome as mummy and daddy put me to sit in the car boot!" which led to some explaining required that it was in a seat and I hadn't just shoved the kids in the boot 1980s parenting style to fit some more Christmas shopping in!

FiveStar Sat 20-Feb-16 17:42:18

Hi we had a Touran in the past (when we still only had one dc) and had to change fast when we had twins (so grew to 3dcs from 1) as could not fit 3 seats in the back once they got beyond baby seats. On this basis I would say - don't get a Touran!

We got a 7 seat Renault Espace which I find totally unsexy to look at (and feels like driving a tank - heavy) but it is a workhorse and has now done us nearly 9 years with (touch wood) no real problems. It has 2 removable seats in boot which are a pain to remove - fold down ones easier - but useful once get into era of school sports teams etc. Great seat space n the back for kids and loads leg room for adults in front. Plus boot is enormous. It is unbelievable how much you can fit in there.

I also drive a Ford Galaxy - company car - which has 7 seats (2 folding in boot) and has good proper 3 seats in the back for 3 kids/car seats. It feels smaller in the front to the Espace but at least you can see where your bonnet ends - in the Espace you can't see where the front ends. Also big boot but smaller than Espace. I prefer driving Galaxy to the Espace - less heavy. But kids prefer going in the Espace - their seats are better in there.

Get parking sensors if at all possible on front and back!! A Godsend.

We also looked at something with sliding doors -possibly a ?Citroen - but couldn't get 3 seats in. But sliding doors are great if you could find them, with loads of kids - less stress re banging the car parked next to you as they all pile out.

We took to going to garages with all our car seats, trying to fit them in and then leaving most places straight away - as most cars that say they can take 3 kids in the back, actually can't. This made the decision for us.

MummyEvs81 Thu 10-Mar-16 08:37:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Flowersonthewall Tue 05-Apr-16 15:35:53

We've just got a seat alhambra and love it. 3 proper seats and 2 fold up seats in the boot even with the seats up there is enough room for a pram in the boot. I really love the sliding doors too which makes parking easier! Definitely worth looking at. its exactly the same as a vw sharan just a different name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now