Proper 7 seater?

(30 Posts)
belgina Fri 22-Jan-16 15:34:50

Our 08 Zafira is on its way out (gearbox yet again). Our family has grown and we now have 2 teens a large for age 6yo and a 3yo. We are looking for a new, bigger 7 seater. DH and I are struggling to agree on what to go for and in those "best 7 seater" lists it's not always clear what car is a 5+2 & what is full sized.

What we need is 7 full seats that are not too tricky to move if we want the boot space. I like sliding doors, but that's not vital. I do want easy access to the back seats. It also needs to be up to towing a caravan and the most difficult part of all; it needs to satisfy DH on the aesthetic side.
Any suggestions?

5madthings Fri 22-Jan-16 15:41:44

We have a citron c8 which has seven full sized seats, they are all individual and can be taken out.

It has sliding doors and you can have a tow bar. Ours is a diesel and we have been very happy with it, we are selling it now but only as Dc6 is due at easter so we need more space. We wouldn't be replacing it otherwise.

The madthings are 16, 13, 11, 7 and 5 and we went to France for two weeks in summer just used a roof box but there is plenty of space without.

NickNacks Fri 22-Jan-16 15:53:43

I love my Peugeot 807.

LetThereBeCupcakes Fri 22-Jan-16 15:55:52

I love my ford galaxy. No sliding doors I'm afraid but all seats come out individually, and it tows our caravan without difficulty.

belgina Fri 22-Jan-16 17:02:55

Thank you for your replies. I quite like the Galaxy too. Does the new shape needs seats removing too? I would prefer seats that foldcinto the floor because I have nowhere to keep the removed seat.

LetThereBeCupcakes Fri 22-Jan-16 19:25:49

No idea I'm afraid as mine's pretty old (53 Plate). My seats are quite heavy so yes folding into the floor would be a real bonus.

Maladicta Fri 22-Jan-16 19:29:19

Love my Sharan and the Alhambra's good too. Seats fold down full in seconds, adults can fit in the very back in relative comfort. Also has sliding doors.
We don't have the space for fully removable seats so this works well.

poocatcherchampion Fri 22-Jan-16 19:31:24

We tow in our 2010 galaxy too it is 2.0 diesal.

Dh needs to get over his requirements for attractive in this category I suggest! smile

oenophilia Fri 22-Jan-16 19:33:58

Alhambra here. DS1 and DS2 are both over 6 ft and can sit comfortably in the rear seats. All fold down really easily and has the sliding doors that make life a lot easier. Very happy with it (even if its emissions tests were fudged)

jobrum Fri 22-Jan-16 19:34:16

We briefly had a Seat Alahambra as a hire car. It was huge. Dh folded the seats back and got his bike in the back and I think it was easy to do.

lasermum Fri 22-Jan-16 19:37:41

Volvo XC90 has 7 seats which fold into the floor - excellent for towing.

Fourormore Fri 22-Jan-16 19:40:10

I have an s-max. The back seats are big enough for teens but probably no good for granny to climb into. They fold into the floor.

If I'd had a bigger budget I definitely would have gone with an XC90.

Sometimesithinkimbonkers Fri 22-Jan-16 19:43:00

Galaxy seats fold into the floor. We fit 3 big car seats and a bloody mahoosive non folding wheelchair in the back even with 6 seats up. We are really really pleased with it '

NetballHoop Fri 22-Jan-16 19:44:12

We also have the Sharan and are bey happy with it. We previously had the old shape Alhambra which was OK but the folding seats and sliding doors made the new shadow MUCH better.

If you are ever going to use a roof box make sure the car has roof rails as you can't fit a box to a sliding door car without them.

TwistAndShout Fri 22-Jan-16 19:44:43

Another Alhambra vote here. I love the electric sliding doors and couldn't manage without them now.

blondiep14 Fri 22-Jan-16 19:49:10

We recently hired a VW transporter thing. It was amazing!
Full sized seats and a big boot and slidey doors. DH loved it. Said it was nice to drive and it was very comfy.
£££££ to buy tho I believe.

Deardinah Fri 22-Jan-16 19:51:24

I've got a mazda 5, the two back seats collapse down. Slidey doors, brilliant.

RNBrie Fri 22-Jan-16 19:54:01

We love our alhambra too. I never thought I'd say that about a family car but I love it. I've sat in the back seats and they're fine.

fanks Fri 22-Jan-16 19:55:12

We are on the hunt for a decent size 7 seater and haven't found one with a decent boot. We are looking at the VW caravelle which has plenty of room.

belgina Fri 22-Jan-16 20:29:09

Many votes for the Alhambra I see. I do like the Volvo XC90 too, but can't quite figure out the size of the boot with all seats up from the pictures. I was driving home today and after encountering a stupid amount of potholes on the country roads around here, I was actually thinking that a 4x4 would not be a bad idea.

belgina Fri 22-Jan-16 20:31:00

I forgot to say that the transporter is something we looked at too. It's just so expensive. I think we will end up spending more than we wanted to, but if we get the right car it will last us for ever.

Having tested a load at the weekend...Sharan, Alhambra, Galaxy, the Touran wasn't bad actually (6ft tall DH got in the back easily), Toyota Verso, Renault grand scenic. These all have 3 proper seats in the middle and could also take decent sized car seats (Recaro Young Sport) in the back seats so you could easily do 2 in the front, 2 in the back.

Don't bother with...nissan x trail, fiat 500L MPW, Mitsubishi outlander, mitsubishi shogun. All more 6 seaters than 7 really

TrulySweet Fri 22-Jan-16 20:36:36

DH has a VW Caddy Maxi Life which is a long wheel base van conversion with a big boot. It has 7 full sized seats, the rear bench can be pulled out to make a massive boot and if you need more space the middle row can be folded up.

It's very good for IKEA runs wink

CharmingChampignon Fri 22-Jan-16 20:44:16

Did you choose one statisticalky?

poocatcherchampion Fri 22-Jan-16 21:27:50

Belgina - we found the xc90 pretty tiny compared with the ones we are talking about. We couldn't easily fit 3 erf in the second row and not a lot in the boot with seats up. If we had been adamant re 4x4 we'd have probably gone for a disco.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now