Help! I want everything in a car!

(11 Posts)
Britchic Mon 11-Jan-16 21:43:19

Hi All

My car has died.... today.... sob....

So I need to get a replacement pretty sharpish, and as it's come up so suddenly I haven't even been thinking about options, so would really appreciate a few ideas.

I would really like to go as environmentally friendly as possible, BUT, I need 4-wheel drive (live in the middle of no-where with lots of mud/bumpy tracks) and I need something high up (my car died because of being stuck in a flooded lane today). I realise I probably can't have my cake and eat it, but any ideas would be really, really appreciated!

Thanks so much!

bonzo77 Mon 11-Jan-16 21:53:07

Budget? New Mitsubishi Outlander I think 4wd and hybrid.

Palomb Mon 11-Jan-16 21:54:45

Skoda yeti smile

juststoppit Mon 11-Jan-16 21:55:37

Sorry to hear that.

What's your budget?

Bunbaker Mon 11-Jan-16 22:43:36

I had a conversation with friends in Leeds the other day (this is relevant due to the recent floods) and apparently diesel powered vehicles are the worst type to drive through flooded areas as the water gets sucked up into the engine. Apparently petrol vehicles are better.

I drive a 4WD Kuga because we live on a hill on the edge of the Pennines and I got sick of getting stuck every time it snowed. I'm not sure how well it would cope with really rough roads, but mine is diesel so it might not suit. I love it though.

KissMyFatArse Mon 11-Jan-16 22:45:14

I had a Honda CR-V. Really good and powerful. Great storage space.

If budget wasn't an issue I've always loved the Shogun.

NewBallsPlease00 Mon 11-Jan-16 22:54:36

Defender?

Britchic Tue 12-Jan-16 16:31:57

Thanks so much for your replies. Budget..... not quite sure yet, it depends what I get back from insurance for my car, but probably looking around 15k, could possibly go up a bit, and I'll definitely buy a car that's a few years old.

I'm not liking the really massive cars, so will have to avoid big flooded roads from now on.... and I think the environmentally friendly bit might be going a bit out of the window too...

So far I'm thinking quashqai, volvo VC60, mini countryman (not sure about this), or fiat panda 4x4 (is that a ridiculous one to consider?!).

Will look at the options you've given too - thank you!

WMittens Tue 12-Jan-16 23:19:28

apparently diesel powered vehicles are the worst type to drive through flooded areas as the water gets sucked up into the engine. Apparently petrol vehicles are better.

I don't see why they would be any different, it's still going to cause severe damage if lots of water gets pumped into the engine.

For example, this is a diesel:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtlDDfy3sGI

WMittens Tue 12-Jan-16 23:20:32

Meant to add, it's air inlet position which is the issue, not type of fuel used.

WMittens Tue 12-Jan-16 23:29:01

fiat panda 4x4 (is that a ridiculous one to consider?!)

I really like these (more so the older version(s)) but if you have serious ruts to deal with, ground clearance might be an issue if you're not used to off road driving styles.

The Suzuki Jimny is quite capable off road and is not exactly big.

I'd avoid a CR-V, simply because one version of it, although advertised as part-time 4WD, the system would never actually cut in so it was effectively always FWD. Honda have fixed it (via a software update) but the reason they prevented the system activating was because the rear differential wasn't strong enough to move the car (the cut out was a 'safety feature' to prevent damage to the differential).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now