If you are quite SHORT, what car do you drive?

(42 Posts)
LittleSnaily Wed 18-Nov-15 16:36:32

I'm about five feet and I have trouble reaching the gear stick AND the pedals in some cars.

I just want a little runaround lady-car....

Do any Short Ladies have recommendations?

EmzDisco Wed 18-Nov-15 16:41:28

I'm 5ft 2 and never had a problem in the following:

Peugeot 206
Landrover defender
saab 9-3
Volvo XC60

Have you tried an automatic if you have trouble with the gears?

RiverTam Wed 18-Nov-15 16:43:28

I'm 5'2 and have a Ford Ka. It's our family car. It's one of the old ones, don't know what the new ones are like.

Bishboshbash Wed 18-Nov-15 16:43:34

I'm five foot and I have driven a ford ka, a Mitsubishi colt, a ford cmax and an Astra. All fine with the seat pulled all the way forward!

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 18-Nov-15 16:44:43

I have an elderly MX5 which is fine, but also drove a newer Fiesta without problems (the seat goes up as well as forward, so you get a better angle on the pedals). I'm the same height as you.

Indantherene Wed 18-Nov-15 16:46:15

5ft 2 and drive a Mazda2

weebarra Wed 18-Nov-15 16:48:36

I'm 4ft 10 and drive a ford s-max and a VW golf. I've also driven a Honda CRV and an Audi A3 with no issues.

dingit Wed 18-Nov-15 16:52:49

Vauxhall insignia automatic. There's a lot of sports cars I would be too short to drive.

LittleSnaily Wed 18-Nov-15 16:53:43

Thank you these are helpful ideas. I tried my DH's car yesterday and couldn't beleive how COMFORTABLE it was so I really want to try and find something comfortable and not just go into the car showroom and throw my money at them and run off with the first thing in a nice colour (my normal approach).

LittleSnaily Wed 18-Nov-15 16:56:53

I would prefer an automatic actually - not many around though?

Luxyelectro Wed 18-Nov-15 16:58:54

I am less than 5ft and can drive anything I've tried

For me the trick is this in my current car
If the seat has a height adjustment I put it all the way down. Sounds wrong but it lets me get my feet flat on the floor instead of dangling. Seat all the way forward but reclined slightly. Steering wheel adjustment all the way forward
That's the most comfortable. Granted I can't see over the bonnet but I know how long the car is. I can see to the bit where the windscreen and dashboard meet. - and the road. Obviously.
I am short and have very short lower legs. Longish body in comparison.
It's not just height it's where that height is.

NicoleWatterson Wed 18-Nov-15 16:59:03

BMW's are out for me as the seat doesn't go high enough.
Never had a problem with a VW group (so Audi, seat, skoda, Porsche)
As long as the seat pumps up I'm ok so focus, fiesta, 107, c1, Yaris, aygo, mr2, corsa, Astra, Zafira, Clio.
All owned all been fine - some base models don't pump up, so that's worth baring in mind.
I struggled with a mk1 mx5 (had to sit on a cushion).
ive never had a problem with a Japanese car apart from a civic type r.
My old Audi R8 was perfect though. wink

EmzDisco Wed 18-Nov-15 16:59:07

It does narrow your options but they are there, and worth holding out for imo, I'd never go back to manual now. It sounds like you'd really benefit more that most smile

Luxyelectro Wed 18-Nov-15 16:59:34

And I have an automatic now. Lots of them about and getting more popular

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 18-Nov-15 16:59:22

The thing that concerns me most is how close to the steering wheel/airbag you have to get, in order to reach the pedals. Usually the airbag on the passenger side can be disabled, but not the one on the driver's side. This matters because in the event of a collision which sets the airbag off, there's a very real risk of having my neck broken by the very device intended to keep me safe... Might be something to ask the sales staff about?

madwomanbackintheattic Wed 18-Nov-15 16:59:42

Chevy Tahoe lol. But I like dh's golf as well. The best car I had was a VW Lupo. I loved it. Both the Tahoe and the Golf are automatic <irrelevant> as I have convinced dh it is the Way Ahead. <lazy>

hugoagogo Wed 18-Nov-15 17:02:18

Punto - the seat goes up and the steering wheel comes down. Being able to see where you are going is so useful. grin

Don't forget you can reach to close the boot!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 18-Nov-15 17:06:13

I'm 5ft 2" and have happily driven.

Ford Focus
Ford mondeo
Vw camper van
Transit van
Toyota Yaris
Micra
Skoda fabia
Ford Fusion

bishboschone Wed 18-Nov-15 17:06:21

I drive a Nissan Juke automatic ( optional manual) . I'm 5 ft .. It's fine ... I don't want to looks like a teat squashed up against the steering wheel like I do in sh car because so can't reach the pedals !

Dungandbother Wed 18-Nov-15 17:06:23

Cars really pee me off. All designed by men for er..... men.
I'm 5'7. I've driven lots of cars. But not one of them fits MY frame.
Arm rests, door rests, height of pedals even. I have size 5 feet and my heel on the floor couldn't reach the clutch on VW. Wtf.
I don't want to drive with my leg in the air. I want to rest my arms like the MEN can.

If a woman designed a car to FIT women then I reckon we'd all buy one.

NicoleWatterson Wed 18-Nov-15 17:08:06

I had a Mitsubishi L200 once, it was great. Apart from when stuff went to the back of the pick up and I'd have to physically climb in it to get them back. I also looked funny jumping out of it.

DSG gearbox's are great, they have two clutches so engage the next gear up (or down) before it's needed so the change is super smooth and super quick. Making them really efficient. Lots of manufacturers use that technology now.

bishboschone Wed 18-Nov-15 17:08:46

There are loads of automatics around , often ex mobility cars are auto.... I can't be arsed with gears !

WMittens Thu 19-Nov-15 22:48:37

Try these:

WMittens Thu 19-Nov-15 22:55:38

DSG gearbox's are great, they have two clutches so engage the next gear up (or down) before it's needed so the change is super smooth and super quick. Making them really efficient.

A dual-clutch itself makes no difference to efficiency; any efficiency gains come from the gearbox being programmed to short shift (usually to get the best possible results on the NEDC test) so the engine doesn't rev too much - any single-clutch or torque converter auto transmission can be programmed in the same way.

WMittens Thu 19-Nov-15 22:56:27

And strictly speaking, they're programmed for best economy rather than best efficiency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now