Estate cars - advice please!

(30 Posts)
Porcupinepantaloons Sun 08-Nov-15 19:57:07

We are going to trade in our 06 plate golf and want something with a bigger boot. An estate seems like the obvious choice.

Looking online though they all seem to have 1.2 or 1.4 engines. My golf is 1.6 and not a fancy racer edition or anything. So why do these bigger cars, with capacity for a larger load have smaller engines?
Will I notice them being sluggish, or are newer engines more efficient at getting mph out of the car? confused

Also can you recommend some?
I'm thinking golf/ Passat - lovely but ££
Skoda Octavia estate
Not sure what else TBH.

Thanks! smile

Bombaybunty Sun 08-Nov-15 20:47:37

We've just sold our Ford Focus estate. It had a 2.0l engine and was quite pokey!

We'd had it from new and kept it for 13 years! It never went wrong and was a brilliant car. I would recommend you look at Fords.

Porcupinepantaloons Sun 08-Nov-15 20:56:36

I'll add Ford to the list. smile

Porcupinepantaloons Sun 08-Nov-15 20:56:55

Should have added that we want petrol not diesel engines

Piffpaffpoff Sun 08-Nov-15 20:57:25

I have a 61 plate 1.6 petrol focus estate and I love it. It's nippy enough but not bad for fuel economy - I get about 40mpg tootling around town and with careful driving on a longer trip I managed 55mpg (all this according to the trip computer, if I do the actual sums myself it's usually 2-3 mpg less). Loads of room in the boot and easy to pop the roof rack on the rails if I want to pop the bikes or a roof box up on top.

I also looked at the Astra estate but the cabin of it felt really cramped. I would have really liked a golf estate but they were too pricey when I bought but a friend bought one last week and they said that while they are not quite giving them away, there are very good deals to be had on vws at the moment.

Others that I looked at were the Hyundai i40, octavia, Yeti. This is my 3rd Focus (but first estate) and they are pretty bombproof.

MrsPnut Sun 08-Nov-15 21:01:43

We have a Renault Megane tourer, we really like it but we do have the 1.5 diesel. The boot is massive and the inside is spacious too

Porcupinepantaloons Sun 08-Nov-15 21:17:59

piff I thought the same about VW - their PR isn't too great at the minute! wink

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 08-Nov-15 21:19:48

We have an Octavia Estate - DP says he is never ever selling it smile

FrecklyEthel Sun 08-Nov-15 21:21:53

Get a Focus, and yes, the new engines are a whole new ball game...

CocktailQueen Sun 08-Nov-15 21:22:18

We've had Ford Focus estates and VW Passats. Had two Passats now and about to buy a third. They're the best we've found - great mpg (but diesel, not petrol), very roomy, good visibility when driving. This one has done 150K miles and has been pretty trouble-free.

I didn't like the \Audi estate - couldn't see out the back, or the Vauxhall Insignia estate - visibility was v poor, v small boot.

I was wondering if VW would do good deals at the mo smile

Mintyy Sun 08-Nov-15 21:25:28

We are looking at Toyota Avensis estates at the moment. Neither of us know anything about cars but a friend who is a bit more clued up has recommended.

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 08-Nov-15 21:25:50

We have the older 1.6 MPI engine - not the most fuel efficient at speed but we do low miles so don't really care smile It goes like shit of a shovel when the injection kicks in though. We basically have the equivalent of this but with 17inch sport alloys and sport suspension and ours is black (and has only done 25k in 5 and a half years)

www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=605245191#

Piffpaffpoff Mon 09-Nov-15 07:07:20

Cocktail DH has the Insignia estate and I don't think the boot is much bigger than that in my Focus, it is curiously small for the size of car. It might just be an optical illusion due to the odd shape of it but he had a Passat before and it was cavernous!

austenozzy Mon 09-Nov-15 07:12:22

I had a mondeo estate for years (bigger version of the focus essentially) and loved it. It was a 2 litre engine and had plenty of grunt. Drove beautifully. Masses of room inside, like s small van with the back seats down. I've now got a 1.4 litre Peugeot estate and really notice the difference. That said, tax and fuel costs are way down by hundreds a year.

austenozzy Mon 09-Nov-15 07:16:56

Neighbour over the road has a new sporty skoda estate and loves it, btw. Looks really tidy.

eurochick Mon 09-Nov-15 07:19:23

We have a Volvo XC60, which is classed as an estate. It has a 2.4l diesel engine. I still find it sluggish on the pull away but much more nippy once you are underway. Visibility is great because of the high driving position. Overall I like it.

evilgiraffe Mon 09-Nov-15 07:49:12

We've just got a focus ST estate - so far so good grin

ShutUpLegs Mon 09-Nov-15 07:57:59

We just bought a Skoda Octavia petrol - 1.4 to replace our ancient Ford Cmax 1.8. Its a bigger car with a smaller engine but car technology has moved on a LONG way. It is way more responsive than the Ford. And now I have room to buy more camping gear. All good.

chemenger Mon 09-Nov-15 08:04:18

We have had two Octavia VRS estates (petrol), definitely not sluggish. Lovely cars to drive, loads of space. Everyone I know who has had an Octvavia has liked it. We now have a BMW (not my choice) 5 series estate which is fine if you like that sort of thing. I miss the Skodas.

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Nov-15 08:07:37

I have a Golf estate,,diesel 1.6 TDI and love it. Regardless of anything VW have done around emissions and efficiency and covering it up it is a great car, appears to run on flower farts, and suits my lifestyle well.

DH is in his 3rd Octavia estate; all have been 2L TDI. He gets a budget to source his own company car. He's never found a better car for his money. We did dabble with a Scenic once. Those are not 3 years largely stuck on the hard shoulder that we want to repeat.

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Nov-15 08:14:31

My last sentence in previous post should end "... do not want to repeat".

lovelyupnorth Mon 09-Nov-15 12:11:07

I've got a ford mondeo estate can't fault it 2ltr, now low tax before i've had a Mazda 6 -brilliant car, Renault Laguna - agian can't fault it and an older ford mondeo all estate. have looked at lots of others would like an Octiva and the latest verision might be big enough for my needs. don't get why you'd bother with VW or Audi ahead of Skoda, that saying my boss currently runs run in an A6 which is costing less to lease than my Mondeo. we always lease on the deals/less popular/due a new model cars, get far better value for money that way

For me if buying i'd go for Octiva, Focus or Volvo V40 would be my choice for a smaller car

WMittens Mon 09-Nov-15 13:22:01

Looking online though they all seem to have 1.2 or 1.4 engines. My golf is 1.6 and not a fancy racer edition or anything. So why do these bigger cars, with capacity for a larger load have smaller engines?

I'm going to guess that your 1.6 Golf is non-turbo; the 1.2 or 1.4 engines you mention are most likely going to be turbocharged. Turbochargers (and supercharges) 'artificially' increase the engine capacity, resulting in similar peak power from smaller displacements.

Will I notice them being sluggish, or are newer engines more efficient at getting mph out of the car?

Technically speaking: no. Broadly (real-world) speaking: yes.

WMittens Mon 09-Nov-15 13:23:18

Sorry, that last sentence of mine referred to your second question. To answer the first part, no, you probably won't notice them being sluggish.

Porcupinepantaloons Mon 09-Nov-15 15:13:10

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! smile

I'm currently leaning strongly toward the skid as at the minute - they seem like good value.

We're thinking of the PCP finance route, anyone know anything about it? Recommend or avoid?

We want low monthly repayments. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now