Talk

Advanced search

How many brake pads on a 2007 Ford Fiesta?

(16 Posts)
mayaknew Sat 15-Aug-15 09:46:28

Car is in to get new brake pads today and I've been quoted per pad . Just realised I don't know how many pads it has . Just so I know how much cash to lift the garage doesn't take cards . Thanks

Indomitable Sat 15-Aug-15 09:49:00

What kind of garage doesn't take cards?! (With the amount they charge?)

My fiesta had new brake things (pads, hoses, I don't know what else) and it cost around £350. (There might have been other things, I basically said 'take my money and make it work'. I trust my garage!)

Sallyingforth Sat 15-Aug-15 10:00:23

I don't want to worry you, but this doesn't seem right. Until they take the wheels off to check, they can't be sure whether other work isn't needed (new hoses etc). That and the fact they want paying in cash would put me off using them.
Having the brakes fixed is not a job you want to be bodged.

mayaknew Sat 15-Aug-15 10:21:30

It's a wee independent garage that does wheels and tyres and brakes they're not a big garage . I've used them before and I trust them . They don't rip you off . And I know it's definitely only the brake pads because I put it in to a big garage recently for mot and service and that's all the came up they literally just said pads (and quoted me about x5 the price!shock)

caroldecker Sat 15-Aug-15 10:27:39

2 on each wheel, would think it unlikely that all wheels need doing, would expect only front or rears as they do not wear at the same rates.

WMittens Sat 15-Aug-15 10:30:51

Are they replacing all pads? Usually you'd expect two pads per wheel (one for each side of the brake disc) so eight in total.

If your car has drum brakes at the rear then the 'pads' are called shoes, but there's still two of them.

As an aside, it's always a good idea to ask for a total job price when agreeing any work to be done. If the garage has given you price per pad, have they included VAT? Garages often think in 'plus VAT' numbers as that's what is meaningful to them, and forget that we care about including it.

Sallyingforth Sat 15-Aug-15 10:31:18

As I understand it there is a pair of pads, one pad each side of the disc. They would have to be changed as a pair. So two pads per wheel.

WMittens Sat 15-Aug-15 10:35:42

I don't want to worry you, but this doesn't seem right. Until they take the wheels off to check, they can't be sure whether other work isn't needed (new hoses etc).

Why would the wheels need to come off to check condition?

mayaknew Sat 15-Aug-15 10:47:57

Shit so a car has 8 break pads ?? confused

I thought there was only 2 blushblush idiot

mayaknew Sat 15-Aug-15 12:13:37

Ok so I've phoned dh at work and he said it will only be the front brake pads needing replaced . And that when he said "per pad" he would mean "per set of pads" as the come in sets of two . So really it's per wheel type thing . Is that right ? confused

tabulahrasa Sat 15-Aug-15 12:29:36

I'd phone and ask what the total is going to be so you can take the cash out...without mentioning you don't know how many brake pads there are, lol.

caroldecker Sat 15-Aug-15 12:36:58

This site suggests £30 for parts and £40 labour, so £70 all in for front brake pads.

penisland Sat 15-Aug-15 13:48:37

They come in axle sets, so a set of 4. The pads will be £20-30 for the set and it should be less than an hour labour. If you're being charged more for. Simple pad change then you're being ripped off.

mayaknew Sat 15-Aug-15 16:04:54

Don't know what I thought I was getting charged but they only took £40 blushblush

penisland Sat 15-Aug-15 22:03:33

Great! Good garage you have there.

Mammina1958 Thu 29-Oct-15 05:39:06

It's a good price.
Just to clarify a couple of things :
Each wheel has a brake disc or drum
Each of these has two brake pads (disc) or brake shoes(drum)
You must always replace brakes on both sides .e.g. If it is front, then L & R to stop an imbalance or pullin to one side when braking
Front and rear brake wear is different so unlikely that you need to replace Front and back at the same time
You can sometimes tell without taking the wheels off if the pads are worn - but not always
You have to take the wheels off to replace the pads when the wheels are off you can check whether other things need doing e.g. Brake hoses or discs
Changing the brake pads is a really easy job, a bit like putting bread into a toaster and then locking the toast in with a spring - I learnt it from youtube

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now