Volkswagen xc90 or land rover discovery with four under six

(14 Posts)
horseyhorseydonotstop Sat 01-Aug-15 16:23:59

Hi, have choice between Volvo XC90 and Landrover Discovery for new car with four children under six. (currently have Ford s-max). Just wondering if anyone has any advice/opinions as to which car would be a better fit/more suitable in the long term. DC4 is 3weeks old. Not looking to change until September/October. love the extra seat space with Landrover but boot space of xc90 is a major plus. Thanks

cathpip Sat 01-Aug-15 16:31:43

I own a discovery and unless you have bottomless pits for pockets I would steer well clear. They are fabulous to drive and the interior space is amazing but having spent £4000 since Oct keeping our discovery road worthy i am now looking to change cars......

AliceMum09 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:45:35

The annual Which? car guide that has been published a couple of weeks ago has the Landrover Discovery 3 as no.1 for cars that could end up costing you money! The average annual repair cost is £1,243, with suspension components being the most common fault. The Discovery 4 is at no.4, with an annual cost of £520 and again suspension components being the most common fault.

I can't find any mention of the XC90, but if it's a less common car there might not have been enough survey responses to feature it.

AngelBlue12 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:46:44

We have a Disco 2 and absolutely love it - 5 DC if that helps smile

PoppyAmex Mon 03-Aug-15 07:07:45

I have an XC90 and won't drive anything else until DC grow up.

It has a lot of space, typical Volvo safety features and incredibly comfortable.

JassyRadlett Mon 03-Aug-15 07:10:00

I have an XC60 and know a few people with the 90 - they adore it.

MysteryMan1 Mon 03-Aug-15 19:07:25

Why do you need a 4x4? Massively expensive for little practical gain.

horseyhorseydonotstop Mon 03-Aug-15 20:23:28

Thank you for all responses. DH shortlisted cars (I'm not too fussed as long as have space for the four DC). Been thinking the XC90 probably the more practical option for us. Agree re cost of Discovery - was not aware of issues regarding upkeep though definitely worth considering. ( it was lovely to drive though). Bit nervous about getting something so big .
Thanks again

cathpip Mon 03-Aug-15 20:40:11

Hahaha Alice we have the discovery 3 and the only part of the suspension that we have not replaced is the compressor and guess what part is broken on it at the moment smile, the quote for that repair is £900!!!

caroldecker Mon 03-Aug-15 20:40:58

If its new new, then repair costs are irrelevant due to warranty. I love my Disco.

FreeButtonBee Mon 03-Aug-15 20:51:44

I've just bought an xc90. Loving it so far - soooo much space and with three under 2.5, plenty of room for enormous car seats. Also has a decent boot even with three rows up which actually the disco didn't. Nice to drive (defo need an automatic and decent engine size) but parking is less fun, particularly in zone 2 London!!

horseyhorseydonotstop Tue 04-Aug-15 08:16:21

Thank you. Thinking on practicality with cost XC90 will win out. Parking is going to be fun.

fourlegstwolegs Thu 17-Sep-15 11:50:27

BMW X5. Very reliable, fits all the kit, lots of kids stuff, tows, does everything...

AmyBecker Tue 29-Sep-15 10:38:05

We've previously had the XC90 in and found it a great drive!

Yeah the looks aren't probably to everyone's taste and the price is pretty steep, can't argue that it handles really well.

Plus if you go for the T8, it might be expensive at first but it's by far the cheapest to run.

Are you buying the car outright?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now