Voyager still not fixed - is this a botch job or could it be just circumstances?

(4 Posts)
MrsRossPoldark Tue 30-Jun-15 09:03:17

Not really sure what I'm asking here, but my Grand Voyager went in for cambelt change last Wed. Went for cheapest of 3 quotes, and got them to write it down so hope they stick to that. Was meant to be done eo Wed, but they found a damaged part [they say 'probably happened last time cambelt was changed' - ummm it never has been!] so would have to wait for part & car would be back Friday pm.

In the meantime, DH came home from working away on Thursday night on the train, leaving his car behind, thinking my car would be back on the road.

Friday am I got a call to say they'd found more damaged parts whilst trying to put the engine back, so they'd have to be ordered and car would be done eo Monday. That left us hiring a car at our own expense as we had weekend commitments that we couldn't change / work around.

Fortunately I can walk/bike to work so that's not a problem. Hire car went back Monday am.

I called the garage yesterday [Monday] afternoon for a ETA. They said they were now having to manufacture an appropriate tool as they didn't have one to get my engine back, and that I might be without the car again overnight.

Is this normal practice for a cambelt repair [given that it's well overdue as the car is 10 years old / average mileage, but we have been holding off as long as poss as it's an expensive job]?

penisland Tue 30-Jun-15 20:02:21

Well, they'll need several special tools to replace the cam belt on a Voyager I would think. Are they saying they've removed the whole engine?

WMittens Wed 01-Jul-15 10:46:38

Is this normal practice for a cambelt repair

No, but it's not "normal" to find lots of damage, either.

[given that it's well overdue as the car is 10 years old / average mileage, but we have been holding off as long as poss as it's an expensive job]

You could end up with a shitload more damage if the cambelt snapped (although AQG suggests the Voyager engine isn't an interference engine).

Slightly flippant perhaps, but maybe you'd have received a better service at one of the more expensive-quoting garages - but you may have saved the cost of a hire car.

Motortrader Fri 03-Jul-15 15:37:51

I am pretty sure we had one that needed all new cam followers after a belt snapped, so, no it isn't a non-interference engine. That was a bloody awful kangeroo car - kept coming back after we sold it. All big MPVs of that era were crap (except maybe the Previa).

Very odd that it is taking so long. Probably only needs the belt, idlers and a few pins to jam the cams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now