Finding Focus too small now we have two kids. What should we get?

(13 Posts)
Turquoisetamborine Thu 11-Jun-15 08:43:31

We've had a few Focus since eldest child was born and like them but now we have a baby, I'm just finding it too small. We have a large pushchair and my husband does shows where he has to carry a large amount of stuff (he is alone in car when he does this).
I recently had an Astra estate diesel as a hire car and loved it, so cheap on fuel.
We want to lease a car as we already have one on personal lease and we like this system. Our other car is a Seat mii which is very cheap to run and H uses it for his 40 mile round trip to work. The bigger car would be mine as I work in the same town when I'm not on maternity leave and do the school run so it wouldn't really be going far but needs to fit two kids in car seats plus all their stuff in.
Any ideas? Our monthly budget is £150 which gets us a Nissan Juke but not sure they are actually bigger than a focus?

SomethingWickedThisWayComes Thu 11-Jun-15 13:33:39

A juke is a reverse tardis! My friend has one and they take her DHs note on days out as the juke's boot is too small. We've got a focus and it's find for days out/holidays - can get 3 holdalls plus various other shite in the boot. Plenty of room on the back seat for 2 car seats plus toys etc. when we change DHs car we will either get a qashqui or bmw 3 series as they seems bigger in the back

WMittens Thu 11-Jun-15 15:23:12

I recently had an Astra estate diesel as a hire car and loved it, so cheap on fuel.

We want to lease a car as we already have one on personal lease and we like this system.

Anything you may save on fuel, you'll pay five- or ten-fold in depreciation (lease payments). Don't kid yourselves it's cheaper, it isn't - depreciation is the largest motoring cost on a new car.

If you want to save money, get something used; if you want a brand new car, lease by all means, but you're spending not saving.

If you like the Focus, have a look at a Focus estate.

ShelaghTurner Thu 11-Jun-15 15:31:30

We have a Focus (which I love) and a Vectra (which is meh but HUGE boot). We've looked at loads of different options and we're probably going with a Focus estate instead of the hatchback.

The Juke is ridiculous! Would have liked one but the boot is tiny.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Thu 11-Jun-15 16:04:18

We have a qashqaii - have loved it but looking to swap to something smaller now the kids are 4 and 7 and we need less stuff!

BikeRunSki Thu 11-Jun-15 16:10:31

Focus estate?

Skoda Octavia estate - good vfm if you buy one a few years old. Our is 6 (from new) and the only trouble we've had with it was when it's been hit. It's our second, replacing it with one of the same next month.

Fil's Octavia was 11 yrs old/90, 000 when he changed it for a Yeti. Wanted something smaller and 4x4.

Goanddoapoothen Thu 11-Jun-15 16:18:06

Juke is seriously cramped inside! Rear leg room is awful and the cabin is claustrophobic! What about a focus estate? Or a mondeo? We love ours.

Turquoisetamborine Thu 11-Jun-15 21:23:01

I don't think I've ever seen a Focus estate! Didn't think they did them but I'll have a look.
Juke is out then but will look at the Qashqai.
I like having a newish car as I find older cars hassle with repairs etc so that's what attracted me to leasing. I don't care about owning the car.
Thanks everyone!

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 11-Jun-15 21:27:49

The ford c max is a similar size to the focus, but more roomy in the boot/back seat. We've switched from a focus and really noticed the difference smile

Clayhead Thu 11-Jun-15 21:30:46

I agree about the C-Max, we switched from a Focus to C-Max and it was just the right amount bigger! The Mazda 5 is also similar.

EatSleepSwimRepeat Thu 11-Jun-15 21:34:57

If you liked the Astra have you considered a Zafira? I switched from an Astra at Christmas and I'm constantly amazed by how much I can fit in the back of the Zafira. Having the two jump seats in the boot has also come in handy when I need to fit more than 5 people in!

ForSaleChesterDraws Fri 12-Jun-15 10:21:58

I've driven a citigo (which is the same as your Mii) and a Juke and the citigo feels bigger in the drivers seat than the juke. The Mii also has 40l more boot space than the original juke (although the facelift juke now has increased this).

C-Max comes in 2 versions, regular C-Max and Grand C-Max.

We have a Grand C-Max and it's great, but boot is smaller than an Octavia estate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now