Mazda 5 & ending production

(10 Posts)
MrsAmaretto Thu 28-May-15 17:17:02

Hello,
I'm thinking about buying a Mazda 5 (new or nearly new) but is that a bad idea since they are ending production?

I like the sliding doors & the space (currently drive a mondeo). I couldn't drive a berlingo as around here it's an old farmers car smile and foubd the Grand CMax too small inside but haven't looked at a VW Sharan but think it might be too big.

I carry 3 children in car seats 2 days a week.

Thanks for any advice,

MrsAmaretto Sat 30-May-15 12:41:04

Anyone?

Flywheel Sat 30-May-15 13:19:54

Mazda 5 is a great car. I lived mine, but upgraded to a sharan because I needed more space. Sliding doors are amazing, I'm surprised there aren't more models available. I think it's a strong selling point and don't think the value of the car will dive with the end of production.

AliceMum09 Sat 30-May-15 21:06:48

The husband of a friend of mine bought a Mazda 5 (I think it's a 59 plate) in a hurry just before she gave birth to their third child - she was very cross with him for not doing more research because she found that three child seats would not fit across the middle row!

From what I understand the middle seat in the middle row flips to allow access to the two 'boot floor' seats, so it's quite narrow. It's not like my Peugeot 5008 that has three equal-width middle row seats, with the outer two 'flipping' to allow access to the rear seats.

So I think you may have to have one child in the front (or the boot) if you need to carry 3 all in car seats.

MrsAmaretto Mon 01-Jun-15 21:05:52

Thanks, I liked the Peugeot 5008 & it would be perfect if it had sliding doors - I wonder why more family cars don't?

PieArseSquared Tue 02-Jun-15 17:03:41

Don't worry about it going out of production - car makers are legally obliged to provide spares for years (10, I think) after ending production. In practice they just make parts that they think will last that long, but still, you will be fine.

End of production normally means run out 'special editions' with lots of optional extras chucked in to help sell them too.

WMittens Wed 03-Jun-15 12:03:06

car makers are legally obliged to provide spares for years (10, I think)

Eh, what? Any link to the relevant legislation?

PieArseSquared Wed 03-Jun-15 13:31:54

Er, no, and I still can't having googled it. It is something I've been told by a few different people, so I assumed it to be true. Looks like it might not be - sorry!

10 year requirement appears to be a myth.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49057

jaibk Mon 08-Jun-15 08:26:05

most of the mechanicals..engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, etc, will be shared with other models in the company. added to which most car makers outsource their component manufacturing. these other companies continue to provide parts to retailers. it's how people like me can keep 20-25 year old fiats running!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now