Best occasional 7 seater?

(35 Posts)
musicinspring1 Fri 22-May-15 10:54:31

I'm getting brain ache looking at all of the different options on a tight budget. Currently drive a Zafira but it's dying a death and I fancy a change anyway. Have 3 Young DC and only occasionally use the 2 extra seats but like them there as an option.
Have considered ....
Hyundai sante fe
Seat alambrha
Nissan Quashkai +2 (sp?)
Landrover Discovery (think too £££)
Budget £6000 ideally. Could go up to £8000

Any ideas???? Thanks!

SoupDragon Fri 22-May-15 11:00:30

I love my Ford SMax.

JugglingLife Fri 22-May-15 11:02:52

VW Touran is great too, ours has been very reliable.

musicinspring1 Fri 22-May-15 11:06:47

Thanks, I'll have a look at both.. smile

StorminNorman Wed 27-May-15 14:25:47

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser

missorinoco Mon 01-Jun-15 17:00:48

Bump.
In a similar position. What did you get?

I like the sound of the 1994 Land Cruiser, but suspect I could be looking for a while.

bigbuttons Mon 01-Jun-15 17:02:26

I love my Zafira. When it eventually dies I will replace it with another

We looked at a Qashqai +2. Have you seen how small those rear seats are? There is no footwell with them. They'll only do for very small children.

We almost bought a Mazda 5, but in the end we got a 2011 Grand C-Max and we love it.

thingamajig Fri 05-Jun-15 13:18:13

We have a Toyota Verso. Used to have a Zafira and I think its an improvement.

Lancelottie Fri 05-Jun-15 13:19:32

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso was good, as all three middle seats are proper seats IYSWIM (no squashed middle child as they get bigger).

Littlepic Fri 05-Jun-15 13:21:29

Volvo XC90. I love ours but it is very big!

Mutley77 Fri 05-Jun-15 13:26:12

We have a Santa Fe and I love it - doesn't feel that big to drive and the 2 "extra" seats are perfectly big enough - I have sat in one for a journey.

What is a pain - but I think this is the same for many - is that I kind of need to plan in advance if I need the seats as I usually take my mountain buggy around in the boot for DD and it won't fit with the extra 2 seats in use (although will sit next to one of them so can use 1 extra). You can fit an umbrella fold behind the seats but I hate my umbrella fold buggy!

Oh and also I am not sure how easily it would fit 3 car seats across the middle, have you tried? My DC are quite spaced out so the oldest was out of a car seat by the time the youngest was born but the middle row isn't hugely roomy.

missorinoco Mon 08-Jun-15 21:03:31

I went for a Grand C Max -it sounded like a good compromise between a full on 7 seater and a small MPV.

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 08-Jun-15 21:07:26

Mitsubishi Outlander, really good on mileage as well

Mellifera Mon 08-Jun-15 21:10:55

We have a 13 year old Zafira and will replace it with a new one, eventually hopefully not before next year or the year after

GollyGumdrops Mon 08-Jun-15 21:20:04

I love our Mazda CX9. It's very roomy, even in the back seats.

mnistooaddictive Mon 08-Jun-15 21:25:15

I have a grande c-max and I love it!

Sidge Mon 08-Jun-15 21:29:39

I love my S-Max. I'm on my second and will be getting my third this summer.

Rockdoctor Mon 15-Jun-15 14:23:15

I think you've ruled it out but don't touch a second hand Discovery. Ours is approaching 100k miles and the running costs are obscene - think >£2k per year just on maintenance/replacement parts. We will be changing it as soon as we can!

evelynj Thu 13-Aug-15 21:30:39

Just to say this is what I'm after too - reviews are mixed for the best ones but I test drove a Citroen grand Picasso today & loved it. Going to try the c max & s max & Zafira in the next day or two. I'm in a golf at the mo with 2 dc but thinking of childminding soon so should be prepared.

HolidayHeidi Thu 13-Aug-15 21:32:28

Volvo XC90. It will last forever so don't be put off by higher age/mileage.

poocatcherchampion Thu 13-Aug-15 21:33:17

We've got a galaxy but think that is probably bigger than you require.

I would choose an smax or verso in your shoes, possibly a grand c max

evelynj Fri 14-Aug-15 15:08:28

Yes Galaxy bigger than we need & I'm concerned about getting used to driving something bigger. Volvo is great (fil has one) but out of our budget sadly. Had a look at smax & cmax today & going to do some more test drives tomorrow. Think I love the grand Picasso-need to see one with panoramic roof!

AuditAngel Fri 14-Aug-15 15:14:21

I have a Grand Picasso which I love. I had a Santa Fe for a weekend when mine was in the garage and the fuel economy was eye-wateringly poor. To drive from Twickenham to Bournemouth and back was over £40.

I had a Zafira for a few days while previous car in for accident repairs, was surprised to find I liked it, but the Grand Picasso seats are better for 3 in car seats in middle row.

I don't like the back row in my car, not enough room for me, but was impressed by the rearmost row in a Verso, but the one I test drove was a dog.

momb Fri 14-Aug-15 15:14:22

We had the Citroen Grand Picasso and it was fine. really economical. Now we have teens/preteens the back seats are just too small for long journeys through. Great for occasional use but not for every day....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now