Musical families, what cars do you drive?

(7 Posts)
thatsalovelyhat Mon 18-May-15 12:04:20

Does anyone have recommendations for a good car for carting a cello around? Ideally at the same time as a small child.

I love my nippy hatchback but it's about to die and I'm resigned to looking for something bigger. I don't want a tank.

rogueantimatter Tue 19-May-15 10:36:19

I drive a ford focus. It will fit a 3/4 size double bass and three passengers! (provided that it goes behind the driver seat and it's me not (much larger) DH who's driving!)

But a cello won't fit in the boot! It has to go over a folded-down back seat or in the front passenger seat in the footwell with a seatbelt round it.

Once I had four passengers, two violins, viola, cello and four school bags in the car. But the cello was lying across the laps of the passengers in the back - not something I'd do on anything but a short journey.

thatsalovelyhat Tue 19-May-15 23:32:48

Thank you - this is fantastically helpful and exactly the sort of inside info I'm after.

thatsalovelyhat Tue 19-May-15 23:33:52

And what was the quartet story?

rogueantimatter Wed 20-May-15 10:05:30

Audition for a youth orchestra - happy days.

(The younger DC plays bass and is very into jazz. We all get so much pleasure from his db that I really don't mind carting it around. )

The focus has a back seat which will divide into one double seat and a single seat - we usually fold down the double seat so the bass goes in the car diagonally. It's not strapped in though. IBut the seat doesn't go completely flat so the db doesn't move - just thinking about the practicalities of a cello + little person in the back. But it fits in the front passenger seat anyway.

rogueantimatter Wed 20-May-15 10:05:54

Audition for a youth orchestra - happy days.

(The younger DC plays bass and is very into jazz. We all get so much pleasure from his db that I really don't mind carting it around. )

The focus has a back seat which will divide into one double seat and a single seat - we usually fold down the double seat so the bass goes in the car diagonally. It's not strapped in though. IBut the seat doesn't go completely flat so the db doesn't move - just thinking about the practicalities of a cello + little person in the back. But it fits in the front passenger seat anyway.

StorminNorman Wed 27-May-15 14:27:42

1995 toyota Land Cruiser

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now