Kia - anyone own/ed one

(13 Posts)
TwoToTango Sun 10-May-15 13:35:47

Am looked to buy another car - had a Nissan for 8 years and would like the same reliability from my next car.
Looked at a couple of Kia Rio's - I could get a 10/11 Kia for around the same price as I would pay for say an 07/08 Fiesta, VW.
Has anyone owned a Kia Rio - are they reliable, what are the running costs like.
Any info/advice would be appreciated

Thanks

TwoToTango Sun 10-May-15 15:32:14

bump

SquidgyMaltLoaf Sun 10-May-15 15:34:14

Not owned Rio but our Sportage is good!

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sun 10-May-15 15:38:24

We're on our second Ceed & are v pleased. Very reliable & you get the 7-year/100k mile warranty (DH commutes 120 miles round trip & we've had some disastrously expensive breakdowns previously)

They sometimes do 0% finance on a limited amount but that may only be for the newer cars

tumbletime Sun 10-May-15 15:39:03

We've got a kia rio 2, 2012 plate and have gotten on really well with it. Tax is only £30 for the year. Running costs wise I'm not very good at knowing how many miles we get to the gallon and info like that but I've found it to be pretty reasonable. We don't do many miles, ours is nearly three and a half years old now and have only got 20,000 miles on the clock. We put £15 a week of petrol in it (on a very tight budget) and that sees is through the week going to the shops, football, visiting parents etc. It's really nice to drive and I think the 7 year warranty is a massive bonus.

turkeyboots Sun 10-May-15 15:39:21

I have had a piccanto for ages and is great. The 7 year warranty is brilliant, never had a major issue with it and routine maintenance like wheels and brakes v affordable.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sun 10-May-15 15:40:13

DH's is 1.6 diesel & he gets around 55mpg

tumbletime Sun 10-May-15 15:44:13

Should also say ours has been very reliable, never any issues when getting serviced and passed it's first MOT this year no problem.

Casanunda Sun 10-May-15 15:44:40

I'm on my 5th Kia, so it seems I rate them rather highly!! I had the older style Rio (the one that looked more like an estate) and I had no problems with it, it was a great car. I'm currently on a Cee'd - £35 a year road tax, CDi engine 1.6l. I have no idea about mpg, but it costs me about £55 to fill it up, and I get around 600 miles out of a full tank if I drive sensibly (525 if I have lead foot...). It's comfortable, roomy, the warranty is fab and you get a lot more car for your money with Kia.

...and no, I don't work for them

TwoToTango Sun 10-May-15 15:45:53

Thanks all - re the 7 year warranty - if I bought a 4 or 5 year old car would the remaining 2 or 3 years be transferred with the car to me?

Was looking at a 1.4 petrol - online reviews seem pretty good - anyone got an experience of having to buy parts - are they easy to get and are they expensive (thinking things like brakes/clutch for example)

My current car has never let me down, most i've spent in 8 years in one go was £130 for a clutch, passed every MOT first time but is nearly 20 years old and before things go wrong i'd like to replace it but worried about buying something that will end up being a "money pit"!

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sun 10-May-15 16:01:03

The balance of the warranty is passed on now but I don't know when they started doing it; all the models didn't have it to begin with I don't think so you'd have to check with the dealer

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sun 10-May-15 16:02:32

We get ours serviced at a local independent garage & the parts seem to be reasonably priced (as far as I can tell grin)

MysteryMan1 Tue 12-May-15 07:43:18

Kias are very very dull - a complete appliance of a car but it has to be said reliable and invisible so that has some appeal.

Personally I like cars so would never buy one but they are not a bad purchase.

One thing-check out residual values as inevitably you buy cheap but you will sell cheap too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now