Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing the best new family cars on the market. Read our family car reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Would anyone recommend a BMW X5?

(18 Posts)
Lazaretto Sun 01-Feb-15 19:54:24

Thinking of getting one due to 7 seats and apparently they are great to drive. Anyone have one?

Kt1979 Sun 01-Feb-15 19:55:50

No! Too expensive to run and won't fit through many width barriers or fit in multi storey car parks! X and no boot space!!

richthegreatcornholio Sun 01-Feb-15 20:27:39

I wouldn't bother.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sun 01-Feb-15 20:28:20

Wanker's car, driven by wankers. HTH.

Lazaretto Sun 01-Feb-15 21:02:52

Ha ha...why is it a wanker's car?

Pikkewyn Sun 01-Feb-15 21:06:16

I am here to be the voice of the X5 smile I have one, I love it whole heartedly, the best car I have ever drive BUT I don't have to worry about the cost of tax/fuel etc as we can afford it. It is thirsty and car tax is eye watering. I have never had trouble in a multi-story or any barriers and we live in an old village with narrow streets and alleyways.

Pikkewyn Sun 01-Feb-15 21:10:21

driven - I have ever driven.

Only1scoop Sun 01-Feb-15 21:11:27

I have an x3 had it years....love it.

Lazaretto Sun 01-Feb-15 21:12:29

I have driven one and gave to say I loved it. It is thirsty but better than the car I currently have which is 15 years old smile

Eastpoint Sun 01-Feb-15 21:15:40

The 7 seats are useful but you can't fit luggage for 7 in when all the seats are up. It's fine for school runs & taking lots of people short distances but recently when 7 of us were traveling we had to use two cars to fit the luggage. I think that's the same with most vehicles though, our neighbours have a top box for their people carrier. Very comfortable to drive, good for motorway travel.

Iamcuriouslyskanky Sun 01-Feb-15 21:19:39

My DH had an X5 back in our London days. I thought it embarrassingly show offy until I drove it. Yes they are terribly thirsty (and I don't like German suspension, too stiff and bumpy for me) but my goodness they go like the clappers. If you can afford to run one they are certainly luxurious. (Ours was stolen and the police saw it around but couldnt catch it and it was eventually found in a lock up at Southampton with all its numbers changed but found its way back to us because DH had left a bill in the glove box which was overlooked)

caroldecker Mon 02-Feb-15 00:08:48

I would go for a Discovery or RR Sport instead

richthegreatcornholio Mon 02-Feb-15 08:23:42

my goodness they go like the clappers
Well, there are a couple of engine options that are nippy but none are exactly fast.

jazzandh Mon 02-Feb-15 08:35:33

Mine is fast actually!

Lovely to drive....diesel not too bad on economy for such a large car and tax and insurance ok as well.

I am out in the country - so width barriers and multi story car parks not an issue.

You do pay a lot for options though, and they are often the fun bits and pieces!

plenty of room in the back as standard until the 7 seats go up - they really are no more than jump seats for children or short journeys and as a pp mentioned - only enough boot space for a handbag when extra seats are up.

richthegreatcornholio Tue 03-Feb-15 10:42:22

Mine is fast actually!

I'm afraid it really isn't. The M version is actually pretty quick to be fair, but it's not a diesel.

Poledra Tue 03-Feb-15 10:55:40

I looked at these when I was buying my last car. My beef with them is their luggage space is not as good as some of the other 4x4s - i went for a Disco 4 instead, as the boot is much larger and also a good shape (I use mine as a load-lugger as well as a family car). The fuel economy is worse on the Disco, but the most economical X5 only has 2-wheel drive, which is kinda pointless in my opinion... And finally, the third row of seats in the Landy are full seats, and usable by adults in comfort.

I adore my Landrover, but have to say that an MPV would probably fit my requirements just as well (had a Ford Galaxy previously). I, in fact, own a vanity car.

jazzandh Tue 03-Feb-15 20:10:00

Well mine is under 7 seconds to 60, which for a large diesel (M) is pretty fast and useful for nipping round slow moving tractors...(so I guess I am speaking relatively) but agreed there are faster cars out there...

3rd row of seats is not great if you need to use them all of the time. Difficult to access as well.

Beaverfeaver2 Thu 12-Feb-15 15:10:03

My parents have a 2010 x5 3.0d m sport.
It's very nippy and comfortable on long journeys

I on the other hand have an x3 and loathe it. It's slow, the suspension and seats are hard and it's not nice to drive. Would much rather swap with my parents x5.

If I had x5 money I would also consider a discovery, but they don't look as nice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: