Talk

Advanced search

Which low budget small car?

(16 Posts)
zinher Sat 10-Jan-15 19:51:42

I was after somethng like a polo or a golf but prices Are so high.

Currently considering a Citroen C3 or Ford Fiesta.

Any suggestions for any other car? And which of these two is better?

I am after a car which doesn't give me trouble. Not bothered about the look.

AliceMum09 Sat 10-Jan-15 22:54:18

Skoda Fabia, Honda Jazz or a small Toyota? I think those would be quite trouble-free, and a good bet if you were buying second-hand.

LennyCrabsticks Sat 10-Jan-15 22:55:50

I love love love love my fiesta. She's just turned two.

I drove DH's polo today (she is elderly and genteel) and nearly died. No power steering. I suspect newer ones are nicer.

Oodbrain Sat 10-Jan-15 23:03:56

We have an Up and I love it but I loved my old yaris more. The newer yaris aren't as fun though.

zinher Sun 11-Jan-15 02:08:13

I think the Up is too small for me. Looking at slightly bigger size. Yaros would be perfect if I can get a reasonable second hand. All the ones I am seeing having upwards of 60k mileage which is toooo much. How is the boot on the up? Can you fit a buggy in it

zinher Sun 11-Jan-15 02:09:18

Skoda Fabia looks really ugly but oddly endearing

zinher Sun 11-Jan-15 02:10:04

I love oddly shaped cars. I think will look closely at the fabia

NotMrsTumble Sun 11-Jan-15 03:06:33

The fabia is volkswagen auto group, so will have many similarities with the vw models you like. I had one many years ago and it was fab(ia). grin

Oodbrain Sun 11-Jan-15 07:48:26

I've not tried a buggy in the boot. Depends on the buggy I suppose a long one wouldn't

Purpleflamingos Sun 11-Jan-15 07:57:12

My town car is a Suzuki swift. It's a tad small when both the dc are in the back but it fits a buggy in the boot. It alternates the school run with a bigger car, it's cheap to run -£40 -£50 just about fills it with petrol (08 model I think, I'm not a car fanatic, so long as it works I'm fine). DH bought it for me when we needed to tighten our belts (the bigger car costs over £100 a week in petrol to run). It's easy to park in tight spaces too.

richthegreatcornholio Wed 14-Jan-15 12:07:20

the ones I am seeing having upwards of 60k mileage which is toooo much

Why? What do you think happens after 60k? If we were talking about cars 30-40 years ago I might agree with you but certainly not these days. I've run trouble free daily drivers with 3 times that mileage. Being hung up on mileage seems to be a very British thing.

hellyd Wed 14-Jan-15 12:10:26

I have an MG m3 which is fab, it was cheap to buy 10K new has all the gadgets you need seats 4/5 and has loads of boot space.

richthegreatcornholio Wed 14-Jan-15 12:12:30

it's cheap to run -£40 -£50 just about fills it with petrol

This tells us absolutely nothing about running costs, only that it has a fuel tank capacity of approx 40 litres. It makes me chuckle when people think the cost of filling the tank is in any way relevant to the fuel consumption. It's as relevant to fuel consumption as the colour of the paint.

JoanGalt Wed 14-Jan-15 12:14:09

Honda Jazz.
DP did fucking hours of research and this ce out on top. They are extremely reliable so you don't waste money on repairs. It is very roomy too which surprised me.

Methe Thu 15-Jan-15 21:05:55

Fabias are phenomenal cars and skoda are bringing out a new model soon so you'd get a good deal smile

Bunbaker Thu 15-Jan-15 21:12:11

I have owned Honda and Ford cars. Both were very reliable, but I found Honda cars more expensive to insure and service than Ford.

Have you looked at Kia as well?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: